Hondo's Bar

Powers

The NZA

Powers is considered by many to be Brian Michael (Ultimate Spider-Man, Daredevil, many more) Bendis' breaktrhough book, with good reason.

Powers is about homicide detective Christian Walker & his partner, assigned to a special division of police force: investigating the death of superheros.

Trick is, Bendis is the single best dialogue writer out there, partially due to his hollywood screenwriting. The soceity he bulids around the book is perhaps one of the most realistic ones I've seen in comics, yet he weaves the superhero element in flawlessly. Not dark & gritty like Watchmen or Rising Stars, but more like celebrities.

Artist Mike Avon Oeming's a perfect fit for Bendis' top-notch writing here, as this book currently outdoes all others in way of suspense and 2-page spreads that are known for leaving readers gawking, muttering "holy shit...", no exxageration here. The book can go from lighthearted to a seen right out of Seven in the same issue.

Again, i stress the dialouge because it gives the characters a dimension many writers only try for. Aside from winning Eisners & Harveys (prestigous comic awards), this is one of the only books out there that actually prints its own scriptbooks seperately for film buffs & such.

I can't recommend this one enough, especially to fans of crime fiction. Many have come to know his name through his superb work on Ultimate Spider-Man but this, his personal project, is where he really shines.

A huge DVD fan, Bendis makes sure the trades get out there as quick as he can, and often packs them in with extras, making them worth every penny. Having met the man, he struck me as one of the coolest guys in comics, and I'm glad to see him getting the attention he deserves.

Here's Jinxworld.com, his homepage with its own massive web board & info on all his comics, great site

powers_cover12.jpg

Also, for those such as Mulan & Spiffytee who are already fans of his work, be sure to check out his earliest stuff: Jinx (crime fiction previous to this book, its currently up for a movie), Goldfish, and Torso, the story of Boston's infamous Torso killer up against Elliot Ness - this one just got signed on for a movie deal last week.

• 6 years later...

powers-supergroup.jpg

Damn, i never posted back on this. prolly cause i was all about the book, but for whatever reason, when it went to volume 2 over at Marvel's Icon, i just didnt pick it up again. huh.

Nonetheless, I still think Bendis is at his best with crime fiction, so its awesome to hear that this series is getting a TV show!

NYCC | Bendis confirms Powers TV series headed to FX

We typically leave Hollywood news to CBR’s “Comics Reel,” but this tidbit seems worth including in our coverage of New York Comic Con: Writer Brian Michael Bendis has confirmed that the Powers television series is in active development as a pilot for FX.

Bendis had teased in September that the adaptation might be bound for the cable network, home to such dramas as The Shield, Rescue Me and Damages.

“I just handed in a draft to the network and we’re getting our notes from the network as soon as this thing is over,” Bendis told MTV’s Splash Page today. “So next week I’ll get the notes, and as long as they don’t involve sock puppets and some sort of orgy scene that I’m not interested in, then hopefully it will go in the right direction.”

Created by Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming, Powers was published by Image Comics from 2000 until the creators moved the superhero police procedural to Marvel’s Icon imprint in 2004. The series previously had been optioned as a movie by Sony Pictures.

• 6 months later...

... So is anyone reading this? I hadn't picked up any of the Icon singles, currently I'm catching up on the trades and then shall resume monthlies. Volume 1 was crazy-cool, had a unique ending, but that's starting to actually make sense/pay off in Icon's Volume 2 which is a lot darker & cop-oriented, hell, I'd compare it to The Shield right now, but I get the feeling the focus will shift with events I'm currently reading. Before I start applying spoilers and whatnot, is anyone actually reading this or curious?

yeah, i totally read volume 1, same jaw-drop at the insane ending - im up to like issue 8 or 9 of vol 2 (Icon), interested to see where its going but im way behind on weekly books & finishing up Blade of the Immortal, so ill be back on this in a bit.

• 4 weeks later...
... So is anyone reading this? I hadn't picked up any of the Icon singles, currently I'm catching up on the trades and then shall resume monthlies. Volume 1 was crazy-cool, had a unique ending, but that's starting to actually make sense/pay off in Icon's Volume 2 which is a lot darker & cop-oriented, hell, I'd compare it to The Shield right now, but I get the feeling the focus will shift with events I'm currently reading. Before I start applying spoilers and whatnot, is anyone actually reading this or curious?

I'm reading it. This is a fantastic book, one of the best I've read in a long time. It's so good I'm actually able to dismiss the terrible art. Bendis is fast becoming one of my favourite writers. I'm at about issue 16 or something on vol.2, I'm just gonna sit back for a while and wait for the scans to build up and read 'em in another frenzy.

Having just read all the way up to current trade, I'm calling it: Powers has surpassed Preacher my absolute favourite book of all time.

Wow, that's big for you. Several series have done that for me,

In no order:

V For Vendetta

Watchmen

Year One

Punisher Max

and

100 Bullets

you and baytor are sleeping on the patio /confirmed.

What say we make this a threesome lads?

Oh yeah, it's so awesome this is getting a t.v. show, is FX good?

Edited by alive she cried

Oh, oh don't...please don't....please God let it end well. I'm on vol.12 which is second last as far as I know.

If it's bad I'm blaming you for some reason.

in our years of e-friendship, sir. we've established you have fine taste in movies and most books, but may not know an awesome ending when its all over your face, so...i'll say no more and hope for the best.

I'm reading it. This is a fantastic book, one of the best I've read in a long time. It's so good I'm actually able to dismiss the terrible art. Bendis is fast becoming one of my favourite writers. I'm at about issue 16 or something on vol.2, I'm just gonna sit back for a while and wait for the scans to build up and read 'em in another frenzy.

Oh yeah, it's so awesome this is getting a t.v. show, is FX good?

You shut your whore mouth. Oeming's art is fucking great, and he's a talented writer in his own right too(kudos to anyone can get me to care about Beta Ray Bill). When you say Vol 2/ #16, do you mean of the Image Vol or the Icon relaunch?

Also, FX let Shield run for 7 seasons unfettered, so I imagine they'll let Bendis do all sorts of wonderful things with a Powers live action series.

I'm not disparraging Preacher, just saying this book is hitting spots I didn't previously know about.

well, this one just bumped up in my queue right past kabuki and fables. which means once im caught up on monthly shit and finish the last 10 issues of blade of the immortal, ill catch up, i wanna see such heights.

Oeming's art grows on you sometimes, i liked early bits of Bastard Samurai and his Thor (or was it Ares at some point?) type shit, yeah he's cartoony but Powers can get really dark, and he can actually fit that mood oddly well with his style.

plus, his "ohface" pics are far less creepy (and 100% more intentional) than Land, always a plus for me. i did mean to read Stormbreaker one day, Bill was cool in the Simonson Thor run.

• 1 month later...

Right, so, after Jay's crazy-hype i finally got back to this one & tied it up. Its worth noting: his taste in insane. he doesnt enjoy good games like Arkham Asylum or good cities like San Fran, but he knows comics, even if he says shit like "better than preacher!" which frankly everyone else in this particular forum has wrongly said at least once.

ok, that said: this was good, if not better than volume 1. I remember thinking he'd run out of material in this pro-reg world, but the concepts get explored far more than Marvel proper.

Calista's just awesome, and Walker as the basically Green Lantern...i gotta see more of this, frankly. Its also yet to be seen if the new by-the-books partner can lighten up, but (im assuming # 30 tied up volume 2, yeah? was that solicit at the end of it for #31 bullshit, or am i missing an arc?) man, Deena really came out on top, in a way that's only slightly reminiscent of Vic Mackie in the Shield. Vic didnt have 3 mil on an island, is the thing, but you get my point.

whole series very much remains tradeworthy, cant wait for volume 3.

Having just read all the way up to current trade, I'm calling it: Powers has surpassed Preacher my absolute favourite book of all time.

I'm on issue 4 right now and so far it's a damn good read. JZA's bold statement may just be trufax. . .

I'm definitely looking forward to an FX series of this. I heard a radio interview w/ Bendis last month and it appears to be on track to actually get tot he airwaves this time. I hope the series isn't JINX'd

(lulz! bendis pun. i so clever. blargh.)