Hondo's Bar

the decline of american football

The NZA

bloomberg

Young people are turning off sport on the box -- something that will strike fear into television executives who hoped live matches would be immune from the diversions of Netflix and video games.European broadcasters like Sky Plc and Telefonica SA pay billions for sports rights and rely on the games' allure to attract people to their more expensive broadband and television bundles. Walt Disney Co., the owner of ESPN, and broadcasters including NBC also use sport to build audiences and sell advertising.But there are signs it doesn't hold the same spell over young people as their parents. Viewers between the ages of 18 and 24 were the least interested in sport as a genre, according to a survey of 31,000 people across 10 countries carried out by research firm Ampere Analysis.

so it's looking like a worldwide thing, and Denver Post has less kind words for it

of course, midnless goddell thinks this is all kaepernick, and none of it falls on the league itself

Conway: The criticism that comes back to you is that people see punishments for touchdown celebrations but then only one game for a domestic violence incident. It must be very difficult to balance those things and explain them?

Goodell: They are. I understand the public’s misunderstanding of those things and how that can be difficult for them to understand how we get to those positions. But those are things that we have to do. I think it’s a lot deeper and a lot more complicated than it appears but it gets a lot of focus.

Conway: Lots of positives but it has also been a tumultuous year in terms of the issues the NFL have had to deal with and I know this week with Josh Brown, that’s another thing that has come back as an issue, that’s perhaps overshadowing this weekend in terms of how the League deals with domestic violence. Are you happy in terms of Josh Brown with the investigation that was carried out and the one game punishment that was given to him?

Goodell: Well you have to go and get the facts. We have asked repeatedly for those facts and the information that’s been gathered by law enforcement both orally and in writing. And we weren’t able to get access to it. So you have to make decisions on whatever information you have. We take this issue incredibly seriously. This is something we’ve been working on with policy changes, to educating our players to make sure they understand how they deal with issues with their family, give them resources to be able to deal with this. But when it happens we’re not going to tolerate it. So we have some new information here, we’ll evaluate that in the context of our policy and we’ll take it from there.

i'm seeing hardcore fans online talk about the death of thursday night football, due to poor matchups, too many commercials and poor officiating/penalties.

I'm seeing all this in real time and I completely agree. Pro football has, sadly, become a joke. Fans are sick of scandals. Spygate. Deflategate. Pussygate (oops, America is ok with that one apparently. Smh.). And it all stems from Goodell. He's ran the league into the ground. Fans and players alike are ready for a change.

• 2 months later...

<br><br>Ah. Music to my ears.<br> <br>I completely agree with Panch. The decline isn't due to one team winning or the other. It's Goodell. It's his inconsistencies and his lies. He was fake news before it was (un)cool. The media's incessant coverage of it was obnoxious to say the least. Then when we thought it was all over, dickhead picked it back up again. Touchdown Tommy "took one for the team", and the rest is history. The media also didn't get the story straight, neither did Goodell. It wasn't about Tom actually deflating the footballs. It was whether he suggested it to the equipment manager. The report's conclusion said literally: "More probable than not" Nothing concrete. The appeals court didn't rule that Tom did anything, didn't even touch it. They only ruled that Commissioner Doucheface has the authority to do whatever he wants with NFL players.<br><br>Anyways:<br><br>

Meh. On the politics, I think it was overdone by the media, no thanks to a photographer taking a pic of the hat and President TwitterTourettes blabing about it. It's not like Tom campaigned for the guy. He sidestepped all questions. I don't agree with his choice, but that's his. If you want to find a reason to hate, you will. A few Pats "fans" have abandoned ship. Others have donated to Planned Parenthood, etc. Meanwhile 6 Patriots are declining to go to the White House, but otherwise been professional about it. Like I said, I think the political aspect here is overdone, but oh well.

Oh, my Patriots and Brady hate runs DEEP. As diehard as you are Boston, I'm Miami and the Dolphins.

It's funny you mention the players skipping out on the White House visit when Brady did the same shit to Obama. Nah, if Brady's friendship with Trump doesn't confirm the existence of the Legion of Doom, I don't know what does.

I was impressed with his letter to Canton asking that Jason Taylor be admitted into the Hall of Fame, though. That was pretty awesome of him. And not to mention his heroics in Super Bowl 51. I'll never deny his talent.

I still hate him with every essence of my being.

Edited by Da Cap'n 2099

Forewarning, this is pretty graphic. It puts my stomach in a knot everytime I see it. The Ray Rice incident:

Suspended two games for that. Nevermind that it's my team. I don't care if it was Fitzpatrick. Four games EVEN IF it was the QB himself deflating footballs vs. two for that? Someone has their priorities way the hell off.

Good article here on everything that happened

So pretty much after public backlash, and only after, Goodell made a new policy that says 6 games for first offense, indefinite for second.

Then the public again cried for blood after the video was released. The Ravens released him. Goodell STILL wasn't sure whether or not to kick him out. The whole time he was more apologetic to the player than to the public or to Ray's wife Janay.

Finally, the NFL suspended him indefinitely only to have Ray Rice appeal it and as it stands he's a free agent able to sign again. After all that. Oh but Brady who "more probable than not" might have hinted that he wanted the footballs under regulation (again, not proven) Nope, four game suspension stands after a massive court battle.

Seriously, fuck that guy. He needs to go.

On the contrary. The 4 game suspension was an injustice to be sure, but it actually played out as I had foreseen. (No Hondos record to back me up but, oh well.) I knew the 4 weeks rest and being left to his own devices would only push Brady. All along he's played well because Belichick saw the one factor that isn't given enough credit. Heart. That fiasco pissed him and his fans off. 3-1 start was nice thanks to Garoppolo (Garoppolo to the Phins? Possible but unlikely). And uh... Brissett. I knew Brady would comeback and give the league the mighty cockslap of revenge. If anything, Goodell sealed the fate of the Drive for Five. But doesn't make Deflategate any less BS or Goodell any less of an asshole.

• 8 months later...

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is said to hire a lawyer to block Roger Goodell's contract extension

Jerry Jones, the owner of the Dallas Cowboys and one of the N.F.L.’s most powerful figures, has escalated his feud with Commissioner Roger Goodell, threatening to sue the league and some fellow team owners over negotiations to extend Goodell’s contract, according to two people with direct knowledge of the situation.

Jones told the six owners on the league’s compensation committee last week that he had hired David Boies, the high-profile lawyer under fire in the Harvey Weinstein sexual harassment case, according to the people, who declined to be speak publicly about internal league matters.

The dispute between Jones and Goodell stems from Jones’s anger over the commissioner’s suspending of Ezekiel Elliott, the Cowboys’ star running back, who was accused of domestic violence by his former girlfriend. Goodell gave Elliott a six-game suspension, though no charges were filed in the case.

The suspension, announced in August, has since undergone a dizzying array of rulings and court appeals that has, for now, kept Elliott on the field. Jones has called the suspension an “overcorrection,” a jibe at Goodell, who has been criticized in recent years for his handling of player discipline.

The intraleague battle is unusual for a organization that prides itself on order and unanimity but is in the middle of one of its most tumultuous seasons over issues like players kneeling during the national anthem to protest social injustice, a wave of injuries to star players, and a television ratings slide that has fed debate over whether the game is declining.

Jones said in a conference call last Thursday with the six owners — those of the Chiefs, Falcons, Giants, Patriots, Steelers and Texans — that legal papers were drawn up and would be served this Friday if the committee did not scrap its plans to extend Goodell’s contract.

As of Wednesday, the owners have not been sued.

Jones could not be immediately reached for comment and a league spokesman did not have an immediate response. A spokesman for Boies’s law firm did not immediately return calls either.

both these dudes are trash 

• 2 months later...

It's not really a sport. Even its native country is sick of it. It's a pseudo-sport designed solely around television commercial breaks every time the ball goes out of play. Only Americans could take a field and a ball and turn it into a format to fuel their self-longing and rampant need of being told what to buy.

• 2 months later...

You are tonnes of fun...

What sucks currently is Eric Reid being blackballed a bit because of the protests with Kap. It's not getting nearly the airtime as Kap.

Bengals interviewed him but seem more concerned with the protests than they do about domestic violence and actual bad things. 

To go from being a pro bowler to potentially out of the league for non football reasons fucking sucks.

• Upvote 1