Hondo's Bar

X-Men Dark Phoenix Saga

The NZA

Simon Kinberg in talks to direct X-Men Dark Phoenix saga movie

After talking to multiple sources, I can report that writer/producer Simon Kinberg is looking to make his directorial debut with the next X-Men movie and he’s already written the screenplay. From what I hear, it does focus on the Dark Phoenix storyline and it’s now up to the studio if they’ll use his script and if he’ll get to direct it. At this point, I don’t have any information about casting beyond Sophie Turner.

And both Patrick Stewart and James McAvoy met with Kinberg recently, with McAvoy hinting at shooting this summer.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQuYoyxB...mcavoyrealdeal

Patrick Stewart says he's retiring from X-Men franchise: 'I'm done'

“A week ago, Friday night in Berlin, the three of us sat, watching the movie,” said Stewart. “And I was so moved by it, much more moved than I had been the first time of seeing it. Maybe it was the company of these two guys, but the movie ended and — this is an admission — but at one point [Hugh] reached out, and he took my hand in those last few minutes, and I saw him go [mimes wiping a tear from his eye] like this, and then I realized I had just done the same thing. Then, the movie ended… and we were going to be taken up on stage, but not until the credits were over. So, we had some time to sit there and, as I sat there I realized there will never be a better, a more perfect, a more sensitive, emotional, and beautiful way of saying au revoir to Charles Xavier than this movie. So, I told [Hugh] that same evening, ‘I’m done too. It’s all over.'”

It's so insane how long ago the first one was. A very different time. I'm totally okay w/ Patrick taking a seat.

If it goes w/ how it is in the comics (Phoenix being a cosmic entity?) - it'll open the door to Fox's 'cinematic cosmos'. I was kinda hoping for sum-sumthin' in 'Apocalypse' but...nope. A potential 'X-Men in Space' flick...

JLQp6.gif

Now I wonder what's goin' on on the Fantastic Four's end.

*sigh* I'm so over Dark Phoenix and Jean Grey drama in general. I wish they'd move on in the film department to some of the other stories. Even though he's been absent from the trailers, I'm guessing Sinister is the big bad in the new Logan film, but we'll see how much he's involved in a few weeks.

Now that they've done Days of Future Past, Sentinels, and Apocalypse, I wish Fox would get to some NEW characters and storylines. ENough Logan/Scott/Jean. Give us Rogue & Gambit, Polaris & Havoc, Forge & Storm, hell even Shatterstar & Rictor. ANd how about a new set of lead mutants? X-Factor as a government agency. X-Force and Cable. Maybe if the Deadpool movie does Cable right we'll get a legit X-Force flick. Or send the X-men to space and give us a Shi'ar storyline. Or Shatterstar and Mojoverse. Or..well pick a plot/arc and go with it. Just move on, Fox. Dark Phoenix has already been done to death (Pun Alert, Axels!).

• Upvote 1

The idea of a 'rebooted' Rogue sounds awesome! I'm thinking this flick is gonna be set in the 90s? It would be insane in the brain if they went 'full-90s' and tried to get close to that '90s' roster!

Rogue absorbed the 'wrong person' for too long - and has permanent flight and super-strength...a romance w/ a 'rebooted' Gambit sounds totally feasible, too: they 'rebooted' / 'reintroduced' Angel in a time-period where he technically shouldn't have been born in yet...a waste, but the possibility for full-blown 'character reboots' are totally there.

Personally, I don't like Mystique as an X-Man...she needs to have fallen off and gone rogue or something. Maybe her own lil band of mutant and human rogues sounds cool...still fighting for 'justice', but in that grey area?

They also need to have Jubilee actually...'blow stuff up!' I freakin' hope this flick touches the 'cosmos'...FF crossover-flick would be inevitable.

i don't know that i trust fox to get any of the things you guys wanna see right

and honestly, some of the bigger/more convoluted stories that i adore/would love to see - Age of Apocalypse, Messiah War etc - really lend themselves better to seasons of a show that can take time & flesh out their impact, but the budget for that might be a pipe dream too.

i'm okay with them trying one of the more well known arcs one more time, but....like, i think you can tell a spidey story with venom without going to space - bendis did it, it can be done. a phoenix one without it feels troubled from the start, to me. which isn't to say a film has to get into the boring-ass s'hiar, just that ratner fucked things up so bad, it's hard for me to picture "the phoenix is just a part of jean" angle as actually carrying a film. even some of the really fun stuff from that original arc, like the Hellfire Club, i don't know if it'd work honestly.

also, sanza stark kinda sucks.

X-Men 3 really derailed the whole thing - but I appreciate the effort to maintain 'continuity'...ie: keeping actor Hugh Jackman involved. Seriously, 'Superman Returns' must've been a helluva pitch to get Singer to jump ship and drag Cyclops along w/ him...

Yeah, I can't believe they're essentially remaking X-Men 3: 'Out of Control Jean / Phoenix' - but, it looks like it's happening. I see an alien-thing coming down and making Jean / Phoenix...Dark. Yeah, it opens up the cosmic stuff - but, maybe doing 'Jean is out of control' again might not be very exciting to everybody. In fact, I think it's dangerously close to X3. Not good.

this could go so bad so fast

• 1 year later...

Going back to the 'First Class' look?

xmfc39.jpg

I thought it was a cool nod...y'know?  The movie taking place in the 60s...n' them lookin' like their 60s comic counterparts...

xmen60s.jpg

Inspired - fun...buuut, 'Apocalypse' (set in the 80s) had 'em in this...

160526_em_xmen.jpg

...and ended w/ this...

wmjo1olqdldtlvwtbtox.png

Being set in the 90s - I'd expect more color...individuality.  "It's the 90s...it's 'Hammer Time'!"

I'm getting an early-2000s 'comic-reboot-nod-to-the-original' vibe.

315526._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

I'd have liked to see sum individuality...it'd fit the era (the times and that point in X-Men-comic-dom) - and be a totally different X-Men 'look' from what we've seen before (on film).

equipes-dos-x-men-1400853996027_663x500.

Missed opportunity - in my opinion...but it is just a leaked image.

EDIT: Maybe I should 'spoiler' all dat...

Edited by Little Nemo McFly
Spoiler consideration

On 3/9/2018 at 9:26 PM, The NZA said:

leaked pic of the costumes

Hide contents

I haven't really been watching this film too closely, but that looks like Mystique over there on the far right. I thought J-Law was done with the X-films, no? Or is the character re-cast?

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit. X-Men's isn't too crazy, but that jump from New Mutants! I was looking forward to it this month! I wonder if this is Fox being Fox toward Disney and the new acquisition, or maybe if this is coming from Disney itself so they can make changes to the movies? Probably too early for that though huh? 

Edited by Axels

• 4 weeks later...

Dark Phoenix to be Fox's Final X-Men Movie

RIP (presumably) for Gambit, New Mutants, X-Force etc, for anyone still counting on those 

It'll be Disney making them... So I guess that instead of a stuffed Unicorn, the next Deadpool will have him masturbating using a Mini Mouse doll?

I'm sorry, I'm still a little hung up on that 100 pages in comics article that Nick linked... and he was right, that image haunts you.

Edited by Drifter

• 2 months later...

Sophie Turner on Dark Phoenix: "much more grounded" and about a girl with "mental health problems"

they're really gonna do this story twice and still not have a better go at it than the 90s cartoon