Hondo's Bar

X-Men Dark Phoenix Saga

The NZA

9 minutes ago, The NZA said:

"All I know is that I'll be back in Montreal at some point soon, and that the Valentine's Day release date is quite a positive thing, because Black Panther got released on Valentine's Day. So we're keeping positive about it."

This just sounds so sad for some reason.

Yeah I don't hear people keeping positive about their healthy white cell count, for sure.

I'm probably in the minority who's excited for this because I rated the last few X-men movies higher than any Marvel effort it was competing with at the time. 

And what I read from the mental health approach is that they're taking the same angle Ultimate X-men did which in turn took it's queue from Sentry & The Void. If it's a respectful dialogue I don't see a problem.  

*queue Kanye Primal scream* BI-POLAR IS HIS SUPERPOWER.

• 2 months later...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/x-men-movie-dark-phoenixs-release-date-delayed-aft/1100-6462147/

DARK PHOENIX DELAYED AFTER FIRST FIRST TRAILER DROPS

According to Deadline, Dark Phoenix will now hit theaters on June 7, 2019. That will make it a summer release, but the move is still very odd given how it's only been two days since a trailer arrived. 

^ DID YOU KNOW?  Last Stand was 12 years ago...

45895-terry-crews-mind-blown-gif-8UxZ.gi

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Look which film is conspicuously missing from this line-up of films at the end of the trailer. 😂

TuQvRSW.jpg

Fox is like, we don't care if we don't own this franchise anymore. No one wants Rattner-men.

I actually remember the film as not being terrible--danger room with sentinel, decent portrayal of Angel, Frasier as Beast, Kitty Pryde was on point, and the first ever meme making into a film with, "I'm the Juggernaut, Bitch!" Also, Jean smokes Scott and Logan puts her down. It had it's emotional moments.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a decent Quicksilver sequence. It's just pretty short. One of the guys I went with is a big Cyclops fan and he thought this was the best use of the character thus far and the one "most accurate to the comics out of all the films."  They make a few small call backs to the previous three films with this cast, but it's not nearly as integrated into the plot or as well done as Endgame--but I wasn't expecting it to be. And there are nods to the 90s cartoon and comics. Shit like that goes a long way with me, maybe not so much with others though. Performances were mostly solid. The actress who played young Jean Grey was outstanding. It's technically Sophie Turner's movie, but McAvoy as Xavier was the standout role/performance for me. Overall, not a great film but not a terrible film. I'd give it a B-.

Like the last X-Men film, there's a lot to like here. I think the opening sequence rescuing the astronauts is fantastic--X-Men working together. The final scene was basically just done in Deadpool 2, but it didn't feel derivative.

Two of the biggest problems were Hank's complete 180 felt extremely forced. Jennifer Lawrence giving a surprisingly cardboard performance didn't help his story arc out any either.

And the biggest problem was the villains. An alien race pulled from deeeeeeeep within X-Men lore (Nope, not Shi'ar!) are not well defined in their numbers, motives, or powers until the third act. And even then it's kind wishy-washy what they can do exactly. A bigass gun kills several of them yet a hundred smaller weapons do zero damage. Weird.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin