Hondo's Bar

Roseanne

‘Roseanne’ Getting Revival With Roseanne Barr, John Goodman, Sara Gilbert & Co.

roseanne_03.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=1

One of the biggest comedies of the 1990s, Roseanne, is making a comeback. I hear an eight-episode limited series revival of the hit ABC blue-collar family comedy is in the works with the key cast members reprising their roles, including Roseanne Barr, John Goodman and Sara Gilbert, with Laurie Metcalf and others in the process of joining them. The new installment, produced by the original series’ executive producers Tom Werner, Barr and Bruce Helford as well as Gilbert and Whitney Cummings, is currently in the marketplace, with multiple networks bidding, including Roseanne original home ABC, and Netflix, which has been staging reboots of classic sitcoms, including Full House and One Day At a Time, along with new installments of cult favorites Arrested Development and Gilmore Girls.

Roseanne remains a gold standard for its realistic portrayal of a working-class American family. It centered on the Conners who lived, barely scraping by, in the fictional town of Lanford, Illinois. The revival comes as networks, and particularly ABC, are making a concerted effort to better reflect the lives of everyday Americans.

I hear the intent is for all principal Roseanne actors to appear in some capacity in the reboot, including The Big Bang Theory star Johnny Galecki.

Roseanne, produced by indie Carsey-Werner, was a big ratings hit and ran for nine seasons on ABC. Next month, May 20, 2017, marks the 20th anniversary of the Roseanne series finale, which drew 16 million viewers. The family sitcom earned Emmy nominations for Barr, Goodman, Metcalf and Gilbert, with Barr winning one and Metcalf three statuettes.

In 2009, on her website Barr gave her detailed take on where each of the main characters from the show would be in a possible Roseanne revival — Roseanne and Jackie opening the first medical marijuana dispensary in Lanford; Dan reappearing alive after faking his death; DJ being published; Mark dying in Iraq; David leaving Darlene for a woman half his age; Darlene coming out, meeting a woman and having a baby with her; Becky working at Walmart; Arnie befriending the Governor of Illinois and remarrying Nancy, Bev selling a painting for $10,000; Jerry and the grandsons forming a boy band; and Bonnie being arrested for selling crack.

literally everything that's not Firefly is coming back now

I really liked Roseanne. They had sum pretty damn solid episodes. I still watch - Roseanne has a 2-hour block on one of my local rabbit-ear stations (LAFF)...for me, part o' the allure is the dated-ness n' sure, the nostalgia. I think an updated, modern Roseanne could potentially work...

Full House...I watched all of Season 1 (and only Season 1) of the 'reboot'. I can't stand the 'new kids'. The absence of the vast majority of the original main cast, in my opinion, hurt the overall 'revisit', for me. Roseanne is the star of Roseanne. It was her struggles w/ 'modern' / 'risque (at the time)' issues - which were...straight-up - new. I'd totally watch...but, Roseanne ain't Full House. Roseanne can get sober-ing-ly real.

Also, if everyone is coming back (not just as stupid walk-in cameos) - it could end up being an interesting venture. Goodman as Dan - that alone - was something to tune in for. He was great on that show.

I mean, if the intent is just an 8-episode 'limited series' - I assume Roseanne wants to give her show a proper 'legacy' ending. I've always been interested when - a property I like, gets 'revisited' by the creator in order to 'fix things' that bugged 'em. For better or for worse.

I can relate to that 'obsessive-ness'. (shrugs) Just interesting. Again, I'm assuming this venture is to give the series a 'legacy' finale.

• 1 year later...

While opening strong, the omnipresence of President Shithole over everything in and out of society and Roseanne Barr's twitter rampage of vile and racist conspiracy theory shit and subsequent backlash and meltdown just got the show canceled; expect much griping and butt-hurt from the right-wing with a Fox news self-righteous victimhood aftertaste with comparisons to Tim Allen's claims of a liberal conspiracy against conservatives in Hollywood.

23 minutes ago, Drifter said:

expect much griping and butt-hurt from the right-wing with a Fox news self-righteous victimhood aftertaste with comparisons to Tim Allen's claims of a liberal conspiracy against conservatives in Hollywood.

I will bathe in their tears. Fuck them. Fuck her. Fuck this stupid show. I’m glad to see it cancelled. I hope no one tries to revive it. 

• Really Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Whoa.  LOL - what the fuck happened?!  Never even got to see an episode.  What it even good?

41 minutes ago, Drifter said:

While opening strong, the omnipresence of President Shithole over everything in and out of society and Roseanne Barr's twitter rampage of vile and racist conspiracy theory shit and subsequent backlash and meltdown just got the show canceled...

I'm getting that they injected politics into the show and it spilled out into social media.  Gotta be careful w/ that stuff.  Do a podcast or whatever - people tune into a certain kinda entertainment - not wanting to get preached to.  Left or Right - lotta political crap getting all up in entertainment nowadays.  Sux.

14 minutes ago, The NZA said:

i really would be surprised if this doesn't just keep her moving along the alt-right track she's been on: infowars, the whole nine 

I honestly wonder what the hell happened to her. Even as someone who made an art of being crass and offensive she never struck me as that far a right-wing nut-job, just a provocateur. I blame Rush for poisoning the well and the likes of Hannity and Alex Jones for their need at trying to one-up him on his bullshit.

yeah, like a lotta conservatives she just lost it somewhere in the last administration - full on antisemetism and birther shit. 

if shed've just kept it to herself (or stuck to the script with dog whistles) she could've eaten her food and cashed those checks 

22 minutes ago, Little Nemo McFly said:

Left or Right - lotta political crap getting all up in entertainment nowadays.  Sux.

i wish it happened way more 

Yeesh, rant alert.

When did being a decent fucking human being become a polarizing political position, and how in the hell can the other side justify, nay, wallow in their grossly inhuman positions, ethical vacuum, and monstrous hypocritical parody of morality and still win elections?

When did "Lets make vile bigotry and racism great again!" become mainstream?

Do people realize what they're doing when they give heed to people who declare "We stand proudly with those who are vocally demanding a race war, we who hold the Jewish people in utter hatred and contempt while begrudgingly assisting them in starting the next nuclear war as to fulfill the prophesy laid out in Revelations where they will finally be wiped out (at least they'll kill those godless muslims while they're at it), and lets make all the dykes and faggots wear pink triangles in the name of Jesus!" Seriously, who the fuck follows people like these?

• Really Like 1

6 minutes ago, Little Nemo McFly said:

^ Holy shit.  Still haven't looked into all what she said - but it looks like whatever she did was a helluva lot worse than what Cosby did - 'cuz they still run his shit over here.

She made a racist remark. It’s difficult to compare that to rape. Both are horrendous. I can not believe any network would still play the Cosby show. That’s disgusting. 

Rumor: Rosanne cast might get a new show (without rosanne)

Here’s the challenge, though: Roseanne was created by Roseanne Barr. The characters were conceived by her and Matt Williams. If the sitcom were to continue without the matriarch, the actress would still benefit financially. So a key insider informs EW that discussions will continue today on whether it makes sense to keep the other actors but potentially design a new series around them — ergo, the Bonners, or whatever you want to call Goodman, Metcalf, and the clan of misfits. Nothing has been decided, however, and various options are still being weighed.

no idea how/if that'd work, but best of luck to them - especially if they can restructure it without kicking up royalties 

i'm old enough to remember when this sitcom valerie switched up the main actress, not sure if that helps here

8 hours ago, Donatella said:

She made a racist remark....

I looked into it last night - LOL - beyond racist, that was - whoa.

I had no idea Roseanne had a history of...pretty insane 'comments'.  I remember her from her 'older days' - she sooo drank the kool-aid.

Yowza - that was just unfettered...ugly.  In what realm that could ever be perceived as 'just a joke'...LOL - ah dunno.

Fascinating how intelligent / humorous / talented people can be, but - when asked about their thoughts on politics or religion...the human condition - they turn out to be total nutbars.  LOL - I've always found that fascinating.

A reason to never meet your heroes - but, as I've mentioned in your thread on 'being able to separate art from the artist' - personally, I've always (very interestingly) wrestled w/ that.

Sometimes I'm able to - sometimes, I just can't enjoy sum material anymore when shit goes down.  In this case, I think it's good they cancel and pull the show - sends a good message: 'Not cool.  These are the consequences - despite money.'  Don't see the point in 'deleting' the old shit, but - I get the gesture.

Crazy how many 'comebacks' occur, tho.  Even crazier the kinda crap celebs come back from.