Hondo's Bar

Hellboy (2019)

Mike Mignola:

Okay, here's some news--

There IS going to be another HELLBOY MOVIE.

It's going to be an R rated reboot directed by Neil Marshall (The Descent, Game Of Thrones) and staring David Harbour (Stranger Things) as Hellboy.

More news to come soon--

tumblr_okkph1h5HT1s3y9slo1_500.gif

lotta folks are down that we never got a final perlman/del toro flick, but i'm happy the franchise is still kickin!

pG2vhj4.gif

I'm torn because I love Perlman/DelToro/Jones and the gang and I really wanted to see that story wrapped up.

BUT.

I'm really excited to see Neil Marshall directing a movie again and David Harbour looks even more like Hellboy than Perlman did.

We were wrapping up the show when this announcement hit and we all had the same reaction. It started with anger, and went to a kind of a joint thinking about the situation, breaking down why the decision was made and then all coming together to say "you know what, this might actually be pretty good"

The world needs more Pearlman. Still; happy to have more Hellboy. I always enjoyed how it was mostly an anthology series where we get to take glimpses into the surreal life of the main characters at different points in history (There is a comic out there called Atomic Robo that is similar in that regard). Anyways, to me it feels easier to have other actors and directors take part in the franchise because, I guess, I feel more like the characters are the property of the overall mythos rather than the specific creations of individual artists/actors/directors, even in comparison to other comics, for they mostly follow a linear, if oft reset, chronological narrative.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Geez. Anyone else think his makeup looks really fake and rubbery? I haven't seen the original in so long, I looked up an old trailer and Perlman's makeup looked a little better. Maybe because Perlman's face is bigger and better suited for this so it required less prosthetics? The arm looks silly in both.

This trailer did nothing for me but I'm sure I'll watch it anyway.

you guys

hellboy is one of my all-time favorite books so i feel qualified to say: i love you all but that was in fact good, now hush all ur buns pls 😘

like i really loved kraus and hellboy & abe's drunken singing in golden army and a lot of stuff around that (monster village etc) but i thought what looked like an interesting villain kinda fell apart by the end and the tone with stuff like the romance with liz (...) felt off as well

it's hard to say from a trailer but even the goofy one-liners are feeling right, so I'm pretty hopeful for this one! if it goes sideways i guess ill always have the animated flicks, those were great [/spoilers]

• Really Like 1

Hoof, this place is hot-take city.

Re: The Make-up.  Of course it looks worse, Hellboy was made by Guillermo Del Toro who is probably the most fussy human being in the film industry about practical effects and while Neil Marshall is also a big practical effects guy (the werewolves in Dog Soldiers are still probably the second best on-screen werewolves in cinema history) he's never going to measure up to that visionary masterwork that is a Del Toro production.  Also, from what I understand, this doesn't have nearly the budget that Del Toro's films did.  Harbour has the same basic facial structure as Perlman, so I don't know why they put so many prosthetic applications on his face itself but it mostly seems to work in motion.

Edited by Iambaytor
  • Upvote 1

Hmm, I don't think the makeup looks terrible in the trailer, though I am not digging the Eddie Vedder hair. While this trailer makes the movie look more than acceptable, I kinda miss the creepy del Toro vibe that the others had. I liked the other characters a lot, as well. Seems a shame they won't be here.

And I'm sorry, Ryan, but the dialog in Golden Army was terrible and the plot did not pack the emotional punch that it was meant to have. I admit, it is an adequate film, but I was expecting more and it fell flat so, my loathing.

Based on this trailer, I expect nothing more than a good action flick.

• 2 months later...