Hondo's Bar

Hellboy (2019)

I guess it makes sense to not use Abe and Liz to distance it from the past two movies, I feel like they could have done a soft reboot with Johann here and it would've worked.  And yeah, they showed it, it's apparently at least going to figure into the climactic battle and it appears to be more of a chaotic good thing her in the movie than the very very very bad thing it was in the B.P.R.D. book.

• 1 month later...

From what I've read the movie is basically an album of short Hellboy stories that coalesce into a rough plot.  Which is to say, it sounds a lot like the comics.

Maybe it's bad but fuck Rotten Tomatoes, worst case scenario my ticket goes to help Neil Marshal's career.

Edited by Iambaytor
  • Upvote 1

I saw this a few nights ago and was pleasantly surprised. At it's heart this is a pretty touching "coming of age" story. Ian McShane is always a win in my book, and shockingly I did not miss Ron Perlman as Big Red at all during this flick. The CGI is pretty damn solid, both in quality and design, as well. The problem is in the script. It's like others have mentioned, just a whole mess of stories and characters thrown in together with an insanely weak "major" villain. It's actually a shame this is a movie because the same script with the same characters fleshed out by a few good writers would've turned this into an incredibly awesome 6-8 episode season of a Hellboy TV show.  😕

Hopefully the box office doesn't kill the franchise and it can possibly continue as a BPRD  show on HBO or Netflix or Hulu or Amazon Prime...

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 2 weeks later...

as a huge hellboy/BPRD fan: this was a mess, but had enjoyable moments

+ i liked that in order to distance themselves from the del toro films, they went with new team members - Daimo in particular was overdue, and i dug his portrayal here, even with the tweaks 

+ baba yaga was dope (kinda wish she'dve been the main baddie)

+ lobster johnson was an absolute highlight, and the mid credits scene with him was some of the most spot-on comics work

+ starting with a variation on hellboy in mexico > wild hunt was fun, we ended it way closer to hellboy in hell than i expected

+ stranger things guy had huge shoes to fill (perlman was so good, he voiced the game and animated movies too) and i thought he carried it - there were bits where i could totally see what mignola was saying about being more in line with the comics this go-around

- i don't know if it's GOTG syndrome or what, but the trend of overstylized shots with gratuitous soundtrack work is something i could do without for a while

- i went in knowing we'd not be near del toro's budget but man some of the CG & other parts really felt shoestring

- editing made things jerk about and just kinda feel arbitrary at times

- the writing had sloppy bits and i don't know that hellboy in particular had enough solid moments/lines

Swearengen did to professor broom what jack nicholson in departed did to his original character in infernal affairs: which is to say, the character was the biggest departure i'd seen in a long time.  i know you don't cast dude to play a stuffy academic but i still found that take jarring

overall i had a good time but it really didn't come together in a way that i think anyone not really into the comics themselves will much enjoy at all, especially in an era where guardians and other lesser known books are finding so much mass appeal - still happy my boy got another big outing but i reckon its wrapped up for now, here's to hoping for more animated stuff sometime