Hondo's Bar

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

Well, they are killing it with announcements. The Witcher is going to be their GoT - it has to be, and the dark crystal is interesting because JH studios has been working quietly for a while to expand the universe of TDC and make it even grander than we would ever imagine.

I'm super excited for this.

Same here.

Awhile back, they put out a series of graphic novels that explored the origins of the world and the Skeksis / Mystics - under direction of the concept designer, Froud - who along w/ Henson and Oz really had gotten into the origins...of everything - LOL!

In making the movie - they all built this unique / elaborate / connected world from the ground up. Full-on maps, history...and then they worked a story around it. Henson really wanted to create a vast world first - and felt a story would be born from that. Super-pumped when the graphic novels came out. Mega-pumped about this series.

SEP110750_1._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

the-dark-crystal-creation-myths-preview-pg7.jpg

It's gonna be awesome. Can't wait.

Fans have been pushing for another Labyrinth flick. I think there's a manga or something centered around the origins of the Goblin King (Bowie's character) and the creation of the Labyrinth. I've always interpreted the Labyrinth as a figment of Sarah's imagination. She has plushes n' such of the inhabitants / characters in her room before the 'Owl' shows up.

Don't think a 'return to Labyrinth' can work the same way going back to the world of 'Dark Crystal' can. 'Specially w/out Bowie.

There was a return to Labyrinth manga. It was ok but you're right - going back to the dark crystal is way more exciting. I'm actually "reading" a book about Hensons life right now and everyone says the same thing - he was sweet, funny, quiet and had a darkness to him.

• 2 years later...

Has anyone been watching this? It's really great with an amazing voice cast, especially the Skeksis actors which include Mark Hamill and Simon Pegg. It looks gorgeous as hell with the effects and puppetry being pretty awe inspiring. I've never actually finished the movie, there was something about it that I just didn't connect with, but this series has me really eager to go back and finish it.

It pains me to say this, but I found the series a slog to get through. @Axels is 100% correct in the cast and production value being outstanding.  The whole thing just looks gorgeous. However, the plot and pacing were damn disappointing. It took me the entire Labor Day weekend to get through it in multiple sittings, and if I didn't have such a love or the film I would not have even attempted to finish the series. Even though I didn't care for the show, I see it's getting love online, and I'm glad. I'm sure this is some 10-year-old kid's favorite show . I hope the show continues with another season if for nothing else than to keep the Henson method of using puppetry alive.