Hondo's Bar

Nintendo's Classic Game Collection

The NZA

source

Although Nintendo Switch will soon receive revamped retro games as part of its online service, the future of the Virtual Console, which carries Nintendo’s classic games library, remains uncertain. A company representative confirmed to Famitsu that it hasn’t settled on how to bring the Virtual Console to the Switch.

“Classic Games Selection (tentative name) is different from the [Virtual Console],” a spokesperson told the Japanese magazine. The spokesperson then added that Nintendo’s plans to sell the Virtual Console library are “still undecided.”

]“Classic Games Selection (tentative name) is different from the [Virtual Console],” a spokesperson told the Japanese magazine. The spokesperson then added that Nintendo’s schedule for selling Virtual Console games is “still undecided.”

When reached for comment, Nintendo told Polygon that it has “nothing to announce on this topic.”

Update: This story and headline have been updated to clarify and correct statements from Nintendo about the release schedule of the Virtual Console on Switch. Additionally, a response from Nintendo has been added.[/color]

so it's looking like we might not know at E3? we've been told they intend to again trickle out games, but this time possibly add new features like online play - no idea how that'd work, but i don't think they've had a hard time on the gameplay end with thier previous VC efforts at least. the idea that titles would only be playable for that month sounds silly & hopefully it doesn't pan out that way.

can't help but wonder if the rumored SNES classic is affecting their desire to just offer a regular Virtual Console to buy from again? this is admittedly the section i follow nintenod's decisions in the least of all, right after stopping production of the NES classic.

Gotta hang on to my Wii U until I know otherwise. Not that Id get rid of it anyway, but it will be nice to know if there is a sort of backup placefor my VC games. Also, gamecube support needs to happen. That would be amazing. Nintendo really needs some wins and there is no reason why they shouldnt just offer the games up front.

ive often heard the excuse that they don't wanna flood their digital market and reinforce the notion that developing for nintendo systems means competing with nintendo - i know they're fostering a better indie scene this time, but (and i say this with zeor marketing knowledge) i don't really see someone saying no to I Am Setsuna just because they have another chance to buy fucking Urban Champion for five dollars.

i know GC support was hacked into the WU, but without that controller adapter, i don't know how some stuff would work: for instance, current controllers (i believe) use digital instead of analog triggers, which i feel would break games like f-zero GX. it could be done again, but i wonder if they'd rather just focus on trickling out occasional HD remakes and dumping popular titles once a month on services like this.

i'm right here with you & still don't like systems not offering backwards compatibility, but i've clearly given up on anything less than turning my living room into a serial experiments lain/ghost in the shell looking mess in an effort to forever be able to play whatever i want whenever.

...i've clearly given up on anything less than turning my living room into a serial experiments lain/ghost in the shell looking mess in an effort to forever be able to play whatever i want whenever.

giphy.gif

Virtual Console has been so damn botched. Fuckin' greed n' cutting corners - is why it wasn't all it could be...in regard to quality (NES / N64 look subpar) and sales. With sum even minor TLC - VC could've been a spectacular thing. Gotta feeling they're gonna go that way again, as far as trickling out games and an ass-backward pricing philosophy. Nintendo is in the business of making money - not in 'catering to the consumer'. $5 for sum Duck Hunt?! LOL - c'mooon.

They gotta redo the whole thing...emulation decisions / pricing structure...which I'm sure they're doing now - conjiggering the whole 'online functionality' bit. Hope there's serious tug n' pull goin' on behind the scenes in that regard...but, they've had years now to hammer all that out. Most likely, the reason for the "delay" is to maximize SNES Classic sales. Bet we're not seeing a legit VC till mid 2018 - along w/ the premiere of their online pay-service.