Hondo's Bar

Sega Genesis

The NZA

I have no complaints about the graphics. The updates are subtle, a little pixel smoothing here and there. Not enough to ruin the "retro" feel.

I'm sure if I hooked up my sega and popped a few of these in the improvements would be much more evident, but as is I prob'ly wouldn't notice if I wasn't told.

And as far as I can tell all the cheat codes for their respective games work and they don't disable achievements. Good times.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey hey now, i loved decap attack. beat it on a rental, but it was grand. by the flood of 16-bit platformers, i argue it stood the test of time better than most bubsy and aero the acrobat games, but i know im shooting low there.

flicky can eat it, but you know what's funny? i did it on the first try on my copy last night, no lie. didnt break 100k cause the cats decided it was raping season, but at least that and thunder blade are done. not looking forward to MBM one.

One of the nice things about collections like this is to see how far games have really come and this collection is great cause it's got a bit of everything in it except a pure fighter or race game(go go rad racer). going from putzing around in phantasy star 1 to playing wow is a real eye opener.

oh and decap attack sucks >< and golden axe 1 is better then 3

aw, people like you are why chuck d. head never got a sequel.

finally playing Golden Axe 3, i dont know that i ever did prior, but holy shit are you right, this isnt great.

Fatal Labyrinth, however, still has this weird hold on me, i can play that shit for hours and not know why.

you guys are mean. it aint pretty, and the level design...well, its there. but the controls arent that bad...i dunno, i know im arguing taste here but id play decap attack all day over flicky, ristar, gain ground, thunder blade and a few others here.

whats sad is there's so much on this disc (all 4 Phantasy Stars, Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force, Fatal Labyrinth etc) that ive conquered and cants see myself ever beating again.

wait, you mightve unlocked a lotta things, sir, but youve by no means gotten alla trophies! check your trophy list. yovue got most of the harder ones. if i can tie up the Vectorman games tonight, i think ill have the platinum.

you guys are mean. it aint pretty, and the level design...well, its there. but the controls arent that bad...i dunno, i know im arguing taste here but id play decap attack all day over flicky, ristar, gain ground, thunder blade and a few others here.

whats sad is there's so much on this disc (all 4 Phantasy Stars, Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force, Fatal Labyrinth etc) that ive conquered and cants see myself ever beating again.

wait, you mightve unlocked a lotta things, sir, but youve by no means gotten alla trophies! check your trophy list. yovue got most of the harder ones. if i can tie up the Vectorman games tonight, i think ill have the platinum.

Only trophy I'm missing is MBM unless there are hidden ones that it isn't showing. As for Decap attack I think that's the rosy sheen on nostalgia talking. Ristar is a much better platformer, the little of it I have played. Others just stood up better, even ones I hadn't played before like ESWAT, Ristar, Headdy, and even Kid Chameleon.

The worst games in the collection are: Decap Attack, Golden Axe 2 and 3, and Gain Ground. Flicky at least has old arcade style charm (though I can't believe it's a Genesis game). I'm still amazed by the Golden Axes though each had at least a 2 year developmnt cycle yet they play and look far worse than the original. Seriously, what the hell?

Edit: And I got my first Plat!!!

Edited by bishopcruz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

hey now, i stand by the master system converter, sonic & knuckles, the game genie (what's that below it though?), and a handful of the Sega-CD's efforts. never played the 32x but past uh, Doom or Chaotix, i never saw why i should.

• 2 years later...

Referring to genesis collection: Comix zone iz sick.. Later lvls get hard as balls tho... I'll get that thing if they add sonic n knuckles otherwise I don't wanna pay for hd emulators

Coulda swore I was on the last pg

Edited by IceManML

Comix Zone is fucking excellent. I loved that game.

They need to do an HD remake of that! It should still be 2D, since that's kinda the point aesthetically, but if they did the whole thing hand drawn like some mid 90's stereotype comic...I would buy that for a high price.

Okay, like maybe $12.

• 9 months later...

so since a good friend dropped me off a bunch've carts (mostly SNES, some genny) for my birthday, i've been on a big kick to beef up my old school sega collection - i sold like 40 SMS, 30 genesis, maybe 15 sega-CD ones when i was broke, and honestly i don't miss most of it but the genesis stuff. it's true i've got most of the first party greats several times over on the many collections they've released, but there's so many gems that have no chance of showing up again.

ebay, like amazon, is a bitch for stuff like this - again not nearly as bad as the SNES, but still $15-20 each for lots of stuff, which is silly to me since i've got universal game cases & don't mind printing out covers (especially superior EU/JPN ones...i also am not at all a stickler for manuals). this leaves craigslist, garage sales, pawn shops (if you're lucky) and the occasional ebay lot that ends when i'm up and not many others who give a shit.

i happily caught this lot today, a few i'd wanted to play again but mostly because one of my all-time favorites, Strider, is in there and i'm guessing it went cheap because the guy didn't list it. ive got about a dozen other must-haves to put together, but i'm not much going for individuals, as i'm sure by the time i'm done with lots ill have 10 copies of sonic 2, and at least a few of phantasy star 3, aka the greatest JRPG of our time.

more to come! still looking into modding a genesis for either s-video or SCART (VGA/component quality, though i'll likely wait until i have a bigger place & big old CRT TV, as they're obviously more ideal for this stuff...i did hook the Dreamcast into the plasma via HDMI, converted from VGA today and it looks gorgeous by me).

I've gotten a bit of a hunger for older console stuff too lately. I picked up a Genesis 3 at a pawn shop for $10. I've got a regular Genesis...but it looked cool.

2YuBG9P.jpg

Apparently it was some weird version made in Mexico towards the end of the lifecycle. Works fine, kinda cool to have.

I'll elaborate in another thread, but I've been trying to flesh out my Turbo-Grafx 16 collection, possibly get an Express Portable for my birfday or something.

that'd be cool, i don't know that we have a TG16/duo thread but we could use one if not!

and that's pretty cool, i don't know that i've ever seen that before. I'm tracking down a model 1 for its sound chip, but the size/design of that one is interesting. nice find.

that'd be cool, i don't know that we have a TG16/duo thread but we could use one if not!

and that's pretty cool, i don't know that i've ever seen that before. I'm tracking down a model 1 for its sound chip, but the size/design of that one is interesting. nice find.

Turbo grafix was awesome. Def a broke kids Sega genesis. I had the fantasy zone remake and Keith Courage among others on it.. Still 8bit Nintendo still beat it at my house at least w steady releases of megaman, etc.

I've got a model on but my sega CD is v2 so i have the stupid add ons for it. sadly trying to get a gen 1 sega cd is a pain

Cdx baby. "Portable" Sega cd (yea try putting that thing in your pocket).

Anyway I've been thinking of getting a new Saturn for years. I'm leaning towards the skeleton model however I remember a close friend of mine said he saw sat urns with screens attached in Tokyo.

I looked it up and didn't find much, let alone <a href=http://segaretro.org/Sega_Saturn_Models>here</a>.

But instead I found <a href=http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/16/worlds-first-portable-sega-saturn-has-a-face-only-a-gamer-could/>this thing...</a> I'd kill to have it @_@..