Sega Genesis

The NZA

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Sega developing films and TV shows based on Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Crazy Taxi, more

altered_beast.0.0.jpg

Sega is working to develop its classic video game franchises, including Shinobi, Golden Axe, Altered Beast, Virtua Fighter and Crazy Taxi, into feature films, television shows and digital series, the company announced through its production arm, Stories International.

Stories International is a joint venture between Sega and Japanese advertising agencyHakuhodo DY Group. The subsidiary controls 40 Sega intellectual properties, including the aforementioned game franchises, as well as Streets of Rage and Rise of Nightmares.

The group named Evan Cholfin, formerly of Break Media, as head of development and production for the company's film, television and digital division. At Stories, Cholfin will focus on adapting Sega's video game properties into live action and animated movies, TV series and other digital entertainment.

Stories says it's "looking to partner with the major studios, A-list producers and filmmakers to adapt these properties."

Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog property is currently being tapped for an animated series,Sonic Boom. The company's The House of the Dead franchise was previously adapted for an Uwe Boll-directed feature in 2003.

Other game publishers have worked for years to adapt their video game properties into feature films, including Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed and Splinter Cell; Sony Computer Entertainment's Uncharted and Shadow of the Colossus; Konami's Metal Gear Solid; and Electronic Arts' Mass Effect and Dead Space.

Edited by alive she cried

• 2 years later...

it's back! and not in pog form

ATGames has released some subpar versions in years past (mostly outdated emulators with poor sound), but this one doesn't look bad...timing seems a bit off there but they've got time to sort it, and god knows even android based ones apparently run well these days.

features like the rewind button really interest me, but for so many consumers without upscalers/old CRT TV's, just having a way to output in 16:9 & 720p and not have the image stretched to look like butt sounds really cool for the average consumer too. pretty excited for this one!

also hoping they make the box solid black with lines thorough it like the old style

update: here's the games it comes with!

• Mortal Kombat I, II, III
  • Virtua Fighter 2
  • Altered Beast
  • Golden Axe
  • Phantasy Star IV
  • Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
  • Sonic & Knuckles
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
  • Alien Storm
  • Arrow Flash
  • Bonanza Bros.
  • Chakan: The Forever Man
  • Columns
  • Columns III
  • ComixZone
  • Crack Down
  • DecapAttack
  • Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
  • ESWAT: City Under Siege
  • Eternal Champions
  • Fatal Labyrinth
  • Flicky
  • Gain Ground
  • Golden Axe II
  • Golden Axe III
  • Jewel Master
  • Kid Chameleon
  • Phantasy Star II
  • Phantasy Star III
  • Ristar
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
  • Sonic Spinball
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Sonic 3D Blast
  • Sword of Vermilion
  • The Ooze
  • Vectorman
  • Vectorman 2
  • Virtua Fighter 2
  • Shining Force: the Legacy of Great Intention
  • Shining Force II: the Ancient Seal
  • Shining in the Darkness
  • Super Thunder Blade

more or less, yeah - most of their first party catalog, few 3rd party but looking at what virtual console gets, it's clear they could make agreements for more...then again, i'd think their steam catalog would benefit from that first. speaking of, Arrow Flash is great, really interesting to see that here.

there's no Landstalker, or ToeJam & Earl - the latter they finally worked out a deal with the creator for steam/etc collections, no idea why it's not here. i'm not even seeing Sonic 3, which i'd heard could be tricky to emulate...but there's Sonic & Knuckles. Gain Ground, Ristar & Crackdown are nice additions, but you're right, it's much of the same batch you get in their many other collections. curious that Shinobi III & Shadow Dancer are here, but Revenge of Shinobi isn't.

It really will come down to emulation for me, but I've also got most of my genesis titles and there's a million used old school game stores in Austin I can go to to pickup titles as well so the ability to play those on an HD screen almost makes this a system seller for me.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

so the full list of the games we're getting for the Genesis mini is out!

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alisia Dragoon
Altered Beast
Beyond Oasis
Castle of Illusion
Castlevania Bloodlines
Columns
Comix Zone
Contra: Hard Corps (aka Probotector)
Darius
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (localization of the first Puyo Puyo)
Dynamite Headdy
Earthworm Jim
Ecco the Dolphin
Eternal Champions
Ghouls & Ghosts
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
Kid Chameleon
Landstalker
Light Crusader
Megaman: The Wily Wars
Monster World IV
Phantasy Star IV
Road Rash II
Shining Force
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Street Fighter II: Special Championship Edition
Strider
Sonic Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Space Harrier II
Streets of Rage 2
Super Fantasy Zone
Tetris
Thunder Force III
Toejam & Earl
VectorMan
Virtua Fighter 2
Wonder Boy in Monster World
World of Illusion

also here's how it's looking (menu music by Yuzo Koshiro sounds like it's gonna be awesome) 

Main Menu:

DHhBAGZ.jpg

Side View:

aWTmgFr.jpg

Carrying Case and Mega Drive Add-On props:

LOYq9fo.png

7RZMyi8.png

dAmWArT.jpg

apparently the add-ons do nothing, which is so great.  mine are all hooked up and i still kinda want this. 

• 2 months later...