Hondo's Bar

Well we all knew it was a foregone conclusion, but the SNES Classic was officially announced today.

_1024.0.png

The Super NES Classic Edition will launch on September 29th for $79.99. Like its predecessor the NES Classic, it will allow players to easily play retro games on high-definition televisions, thanks to an HDMI connection.

The full list of games included on the SNES Classic follows:

• Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • EarthBound
  • Final Fantasy III
  • F-ZERO
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Kirby’s Dream Course
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Mega Man X
  • Secret of Mana
  • Star Fox
  • Star Fox 2
  • Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Punch-Out!!
  • Yoshi’s Island

Dynamite line-up with a few pleasant surprises (Star Fox 2! Kirby's Dream Course!). It costs another bill, but considering the second controller is thrown in this time, and the line-up of games (Earthbound, Final Fantasy III/VI, Legend of the Seven Stars) it's a much better bang for your buck.

I guess I'm gonna be camping outside Best Buy on the night of September 28th....

Yea, we can set up a tent and make it a 'thing'. Make s'mores and tell ghost stories. It'll be awesome!

Can I come?

tenor.gif

Yeah I want to be super excited for this, I'm just worried it's going to be like the NES run and just be so limited that it's impossible to find.

Nintendo promises ‘significantly more’ SNES Classics than NES Classics — but there’s a catch

Didn’t grab the NES Classic last year? Your chances of getting an SNES Classic are going to be better. But don’t sleep on the console: the mini SNES may have the same fate as its predecessor.

In a comment to The Verge(and first reported by Kotaku), a Nintendo representative confirmed that the company will ship “significantly more” Super NES Classic Editions than the notoriously limited run of the NES Classic Edition. However, there’s a catch.

According to the statement, Nintendo will ship Super NES Classic Editions from the hardware launch on September 29th to the end of 2017. “At the this time,” the statement continues, “we have nothing to announce regarding any possible shipments beyond this year.”

Fingers crossed!

• Upvote 1

Sweet. If the only issue is gonna be 'having to wait' - I'll be fine.

20 games for $80...

giphy.gif

...not exactly hitting me in the 'wow' bone.

Well, I did expect either a higher price point - or a cut in the number of games. Didn't expect both.

It's cool it comes w/ 2 controllers - but oddly, there aren't really alotta 'pick-up n' play' multiplayer games in there.

1. Contra 3

2. Donkey Kong Country

3. Kirby x 2

4. Secret of Mana

5. Street Fighter 2

6. Super Mario Kart

Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Smash TV, Turtles in Time...a solid dose of 'pick up n' play' multiplayer games would've been 'wow'. Donkey Kong Country 2 n' 3? 'Mario All-Stars' for the peeps who missed out on the NES Classic would've been a killer move.

i got one from GAME but its $100+

No way - I'm not paying more than $80, which is already too steep, in my opinion. Kick-ass RPGs in there - easily worth, at least, $5 a pop - but, those are super-solo experiences you're not gonna be repeatedly revisiting when you fire up the SNES Classic and wanna 'get down' for sum SNES action.

I'm w/ Baytor - if I see one, great...gettin' it. But the Hype-Train rolled right past me. Gotta feeling - in time - these aren't going to be as scarce as the NES Classic - I can wait.

Sucks the SNES controllers won't be able to connect to my Wiimote...tears.gif

20 games for $80...

...not exactly hitting me in the 'wow' bone.

Twenty-ONE games. That's less than $4 a game, for the greatest games of that generation (a few of which are among the greatest games of all-time). And you can't compare NES and SNES games on a 1:1 ratio in terms of bang for your buck. 21 SNES games >> 30 NES games in general, let alone with the line-up you've got here.

Sure there are some omissions I'd love to see on here, but none of them glaring imo. I LOVE Chrono Trigger, but I can play that on at least 4 other systems. I would have lost a bet about Actraiser, Pilotwings and Final Fight being on there, as all three of those stand out as 'Look what we can do with 16 bits!' titles, but in retrospect I don't know if their exclusion is a huge loss. DKC2 would have been nice, but you have to have the first one, and I wouldn't swap any of the other 20 titles on there for it. All-Stars would have been a bit redundant given the NES classic line-up. Turtles in Time is a classic, but I understand the licensing issues probably associated with that one. Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Sunset Riders would have been great, but they were always dark horse candidates. Personally I would have loved Metal Warriors from Konami and Metal Marines from Namco, as they were two of my all time favorites, but again pretty obscure.

If we really look at it, this is the ur-list from which all our SNES classic wishlists came from, with the surprise inclusion of Star Fox 2, which NOBODY saw coming. This is pretty damn close to the dream SNES classic we were all imagining last year.

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, the games are bigger and longer. Some games got more punch than what the NES Classic library was...LOL - pretty much combined. I ain't knocking what's there - there are some seriously huge games in there.

A huge part of the hype for me w/ the NES Classic - was finally getting some kick-ass presentation that the VC robbed those classics of. I don't have the 'know-how' to set myself up w/ a retro-HD set-up...so that was huge part of the excitement for me.

SNES on the other hand - the SNES presentation on VC is and has been super-fantastic. Vivid and crisp...I already got like, 90% of these games already on VC and trust me - enjoy 'em to death.

I'd be getting this (and hope to) as a collectible, functional 'lil ol' SNES. If I miss out on this - I really wouldn't be missing out, like I would've been missing out on what the NES Classic did for me. For $80 bucks, tho...I'd have liked to be 'wow'ed at the library.

The SNES is 'the' RPG console, no doubt - personally, I would've loved sum serious couch coop action in there, too. A 2nd controller almost seems like a tease w/ what they could've put on there. (shrugs) What's there ain't bad - but...80 dollars?

"Good Lord!"

60c89340d8342322f2272de887f46059--in-living-color-vape-shop.jpg

This is for collectors - I'm sure a lot of us have been having bought these games. Me still want - gotta feeling Nintendo is gonna keep a steady flow of stock this time, tho...unless they're insane and hate money. blink.png Wait - Nintendo does Nintendo...thinking.gif

Nintendo doesn't hate money, they like artificially creating collectors cultures that they can exploit by making sure that every product produced sells out due to "limitations". It's no different than how they handle amibos, chip shortages... In some ways, they are still just a trading card company.

Nintendo doesn't hate money, they like artificially creating collectors cultures that they can exploit by making sure that every product produced sells out due to "limitations". It's no different than how they handle amibos, chip shortages... In some ways, they are still just a trading card company.

ttf5v7q.gif

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

7clEN0X.gif

man, you're crazy if you think it's just collector's after these things

agreed that ZAMN would be a gem here, but konami sucks and there's lots of licensing there now - same with TMNT

No way - I'm not paying more than $80, which is already too steep, in my opinion. Kick-ass RPGs in there - easily worth, at least, $5 a pop - but, those are super-solo experiences you're not gonna be repeatedly revisiting when you fire up the SNES Classic and wanna 'get down' for sum SNES action.

this thing has a finished build of Star Fox 2 on it, that novelty alone would've had my interest (beyond wanting to play stuff here with donny).

to illustrate how kinda rare that is, as far as playing on actual hardware: my super everdrive plays like 97% of the SNES library, but can't do 3DFX games.

there's a baller model (SD2SNES) id love to have one day, but even that can't support games with that custom chip. i don't mind, since i have carts for Star Fox, Yoshi's Island (also here), Stunt Racer etc but yeah, that alone is pretty exciting.

and Earthbound, Super Castlevania, FF VI, Contra III etc are worth dozens of Balloon Fights, for me

Can it play physical copies?

nah the slot opens for the USB controllers, but i imagine you can hack em to play more just like the NES one (which given that some titles supported the save state feature, is kinda neat)

yeah, gotta agree with this - the zelda LE earlier this year was a similar mess, it's just how they roll sadly

7peucGX.png

I am not a collector at all. I play a video game maybe one a year for less than an hour if I am lucky. I want to buy this for my son who is turning 5. I think the SNES is a much more appropriate gaming platform than much of what is out there.

This was also a system that I never owned as a kid, but would sometimes play at my friends. Part of this is being able to play together with my son and giving him things that I didn't have.

Can I play other SNES games through the USB port or is it only games that come pre-loaded?

I'm considering just buying him a refurbished SNES and some old cartridge games. As some of you are experts on this topic, do you have any recommendations as to what I should do?

Edited by The Vagrant

yeah, it's pre-loaded. the NES classic could be hacked to play all other games, people are assuming that might work here too.

SNES cart prices aren't cheap these days...ive not had any hands-on time with ouya or other android based emulation boxes/devices but i'm inclined to think that'd be the cheapest way to play much of that library.

man, it really sucks that a device like this absolutely is for you & your kid, hopefully the stock is reupped enough to not be totally devoured by resellers.