Hondo's Bar

I was going through my VC SNES games yesterday - and Axel's same thought came up: I'm gonna buy all these games again (on SNES Classic) - then when Switch VC drops (which is obviously being delayed to bank on the SNES mini)...I might have to buy 'em all, all over again.

I think there is a chance they might not let me transfer all my VC purchases over....maybe they will. I freakin' hope. Switch VC details are something I've been anxiously waiting for since the damn console announcement.

But the possibility of an all-new structure being implemented - and having to buy all these games all over again...was something that kinda makes me shake my head. 'Cuz if I see a SNES mini...I know I'm gettin' it - LOL

Vagrant - I think that's good on you that you're not just gonna slap sum GTA or Call of Duty w/ a headset on your kid. This might be an insane notion...just get a Wii U - and buy all these classic titles (plus a ton of others...Sonic, classic arcade shooters) through VC. Plus, Nintendo has tons of good-lookin' family-friendly coop stuff. Lego! Cannot over-emphasize the awesomeness of Super Mario 3D World.

The fact that the Wii U has internet capacity (google n' youtube...Netflix) might not be a device you want to leave your kid w/ alone in his room...might be something to consider also. (Of course, Parental Controls can remove those options) NZA is right - cartridges can get steep. Since the Wii U has been officially 'discontinued' - you might find one on the cheap. You'll need internet to purchase n' download said games - but once you download 'em, they're on the console for good. You can rip out the internet - or Nintendo's service can shut down (which will be running till at least 2018) - the games will still be on there. VC still runs sales.

Also, just waiting for the Switch's VC service - might actually end up being the best option...ever, in the history of video games. But lord knows when that'll drop - let alone the price of a Switch.

• Upvote 1

isn't the WU discontinued now? could be wrong, but you might be going 2nd hand for that.

again though, for the switch: they're offering less & less on VC than they did with the Wii (their best go at it, easily) and have already said certain titles are gonna be tied to their online deal. they could be un-nintendo-like and really try to get all those licenses back from years ago, but i'd not bet on it this gen personally.

Yeah, Wii U discontinued. Maybe they're on the super-cheap now. Honestly, the best way to get all the NES / SNES greats right now...through legit means. Plus, it's backward-compatible w/ all dem Wii titles...it's a stellar system for a young budding gamer. Gotta get a 'Wiimote' n' 'classic controller pro', tho - that gamepad is huge.

The fact that production has shut down on all this stuff - ya might find a good deal somewhere. (shrugs) Maybe sum fun hunting down ancient Wii titles.

It's a damn shame how many parents want these NES / SNES minis for their kids - and how Nintendo treats 'em like rare Amiibo / Pokemon cards. It is a ultimately a business. I hope the SNES Classic actually gets into the hands of more 'intended users' than scalpers this time around.

Yeah. I check my updates from Amazon and Best Buy like a fiend. I'm thinking I might make him a retro-build. I'm considering buying a cheap raspberry pi 3 with some controllers and build one. I'm going to open a thread for that though so I don't hijack this one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Picked one of these up on a whim a few weeks ago. Had to buy some cord extenders, but its a cool little machine. Easy to rom out. Pro tip: use a wii classic controller and the Home button serves as a reset button, taking you back to the game select screen (surely yall knew this by now though). This makes me really hope they can do an N64 mini. 

So using the math for the NES To SNES we're probably gonna get 10 games, 15 at most for N64 classic.  What are your hopes?

I doubt any non-licensed Rare games will appear and Goldeneye might be a rights issue.  I don't want Mario Party or Donkey Kong 64 but they'll likely be there.

1. Super Mario 64

2. Ocarina of Time

3. Majora's Mask

4. Diddy Kong Racing

5. Super Smash Bros.

6. Mario Kart 64

7. Paper Mario

8. Extreme G

9. Kirby 64

10. Star Fox 64

I'd be comfortable shelling out $100 for that.

http://snesclassicmods.com/how-to-add-more-games-to-snes-classic-mini/

There's the modding tutorial. It's almost deliberately easy. I added Chrono Trigger, DKC 2 and 3, Final Fantasy 2(4) and Zombies Ate My Neighbors. I need to find an english FF5. You can also mod it to play non snes games, but I havent figured that out yet.

As for an N64 mini, I'd like Pokemon Snap honestly. Its stupid, but I have alot of fun wih that game. Microsoft doesn't seem too stingy with it's Rare titles, so if Nintendo plays nice then Goldeneye might be a possibility. I wouldnt hold my breath for the Banjo games though since MS has those remakes. (Edit: I missed your Rare remarks Baytor)

Edited by Axels
  • Really Like 1