Hondo's Bar

3 eps deep with donny & digging this one so far, big WWF fan as a kid but never knew this existed so it's been a blast to see. it's one of those shows where having an ensemble cast of quirky/eccentric characters really works, given the nature of the business they're getting into & literally being the first all-female go at it. also, i keep saying the dude running the show would be fun for a Stan Lee biopic thing.

• Upvote 1

Seven episodes in and not a slow one in the bunch yet! I love how emotional it can get but it balances nicely with how hilarious it is most of the time. The women on this show worked HARD. I'm so impressed. Also, at 30 mins or so per episode, it's built for binging.

I'm excited to finish out the season but also bummed I won't have more episodes for a while (banking on a season 2 since it's doing so well!)

I totally remember GLOW as a kid - GLOW was so much more colorful (they loved neon) and a lot more 'cartoony' than WWF at the time. It was most awesome to catch. Loved GLOW. They cameo'd in an ep of 'Married...w/ Children'. Al fought Big Bad Momma.

Married_With_Children_You_Gotta_Know_When_To_Fold_al_wresling.jpg

I saw the Netflix show last night. As many twists n' turns and shocking reveals - w/ as much silly, over-the-top characters as a bad soap. It's a shame - I was hoping for a more accurate 'story of GLOW'...I didn't mind the comedic angle - but it was like they took only the name (GLOW) and a handful of 'factoids' and just made a giant piece of fiction w/ wholly original characters. (shrugs) It's kinda why I stear clear of those fictionalized crime-stories (based on real events) and biopics.

There's a 2012 GLOW doc on Netflix - I'd recommend it over the Netflix version if you're really interested in what 'GLOW' was. This was entertaining enough entertainment - but I didn't understand why the characters weren't actual GLOW wrestlers...as I was watching, I was like - 'this kinda hurts and steps on the GLOW legacy more than pays homage or tribute to - if they're just gonna make a bunch of shit up.' Too freakin' bad.

Ninotchka was a beast...and blonde (wtf, Neflix?!)

tina12.jpg

Where was Matilda the Hun?

Matilda%2BThe%2BHun-GLOW-gorgeous%2Bladies%2Bof%2Bwrestling-documentary-Netflix-dante%2Bross-the%2Breview-danterants-blogspot-com.jpg

The dude who played the 'director' was great and Alison Brie's bewbs were a cool - if not an awkward as hell - cameo. I guess she's a real actress now.

If they do a Netflix 'true story' about the WWF - I hope it's somewhat based on actual events and bonus if the characters were actual wrestling personas. LOL - but a hispanic 'supposed-to-be-Hulk Hogan' and a ginger 'supposed-to-be-Macho Man...mixed w/ Jack the Snake Roberts' might be funny.

finished this one up a few nights back & was sad to see it end....this shit was a lotta fun & a great setting for really eccentric/out there characters to shine. the bonds some of them made (and particularly unmade) felt like better writing than i was expecting too, can't wait to hear back on a season 2.

also, i know they're only a half hour each but man, 10 eps feels like a sweet spot for netflix shows, pacing-wise.

I dug that I was able to sit through it in an evening - I really liked the 10 - half-hour ep. format. It'd be cool if Netflix went more for this kinda 'presentation' of a storyline. Binging on the longer stuff - you kinda get drained toward the end and if you space a 'binge' between days - I think you loose flow of the 'momentum'.

I'm not a fan of the long, Season-long storyline (what South Park became) but 10 half-hour eps for a story is just fine. I think they could've covered the rise and fall of GLOW w/ 10 eps - and it be great. Rotating, introducing new wrestlers - the 'cameos' as they impacted pop-culture at the time...but a Season 2 just building on this ultra-fictional alternate reality. I'm gonna pass - if they actually go for a 'Part 2'.

Hulk Hogan being the son of heroine-junkie Vince McMahon and Macho Man being the adopted son of Vince's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate...LOL - why do that?

it's doing pretty well, I'd be surprised if we didn't see more

also, I was just listening to stone colds podcast earlier, and am eagerly awaiting ric flairs 30 for 30 next year. there's lots of lanes for actual historic wrestling stuff, but even since the promos this show never was gonna be about that, so I don't know what you're on about

I'd be sad if people passed on Glow because it's not a true-to-life depiction of the original wrestling show. I don't mind it being loosely based, especially since it's really entertaining as is! We have the documentary if people want the facts, but the dramatized show is fun as hell and worth seeing even if it's not entirely accurate!

Hulk Hogan being the son of heroine-junkie Vince McMahon and Macho Man being the adopted son of Vince's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate...LOL - why do that?

Because real life is, by design, uncinematic. Following true events hamstrings good storytelling and who knows how many GLOW wrestlers would've signed off on less than flattering portrayals of themselves. Documentaries are for facts, shows and movies are for entertainment. Why do you think The Untouchables is so beloved? It's not because it's anything resembling an accurate portrayal of Elliot Ness' war with Al Capone.

...since the promos this show never was gonna be about that, so I don't know what you're on about

Having not seen any promos or anything - guess I wasn't prepared for the huge creative license they were taking. LOL - I was expecting the show to be about...like...GLOW! LOL - didn't know it was gonna be just a complete total re-imagining...I mean, to the point where none of the 'wrestler characters' were actual 'wrestling characters'.

Went in blind.

I'd be sad if people passed on Glow because it's not a true-to-life depiction of the original wrestling show. I don't mind it being loosely based, especially since it's really entertaining as is! We have the documentary if people want the facts, but the dramatized show is fun as hell and worth seeing even if it's not entirely accurate!

Yeah - that'd be me. LOL - doesn't need to be a documentary...I get creative-license, but damn - to the point where all the characters and events are just pure fiction...it was like watching 'a story about the WWF' starring completely fictional wrestlers who're hodge-podges of several different wrestlers - across all eras...and a story of events leading to 'how things came to be' that's wholly fiction...and not really based on anything.

Couldn't fully get through that 'threshold' of just 'fuck it.' LOL - guess it's just my taste - it was entertaining enough, but knowing in the back of my mind - it's all bullshit, just really turned me off. I dig that shooting for accuracy and authenticity...I find fun in that. Again, I get creative license - think I would've been more onboard if the characters were those actual first wrestlers...and a bit more factual.

Documentaries are for facts, shows and movies are for entertainment.

Yeeeaah. I guess...

3816445-2371068400-37436.gif

i guess unless it's stated as a docu (or a series like american crime story) i assume its fiction, especially since netflix tends to like shows that tell their stories around events: The Get Down, Marco Polo, Orange is the New Black, etc

I was afraid Glow would be too fact based, so when it gets more outlandish and silly is when I was relieved that it was just a loosely based thing. I was expecting more drama, but I'm glad they focused more on the comedy of it.

i guess unless it's stated as a docu (or a series like american crime story) i assume its fiction, especially since netflix tends to like shows that tell their stories around events: The Get Down, Marco Polo, Orange is the New Black, etc

Never seen any o' dat - heard of 'American Crime Drama' n' 'OistNB...but haven't seen 'em. Netflix 'original series' doesn't have a rep in my head, yet. Well, now it do. LOL

I was afraid Glow would be too fact based, so when it gets more outlandish and silly is when I was relieved that it was just a loosely based thing. I was expecting more drama, but I'm glad they focused more on the comedy of it.

I really dug the comedic angle - it suits the material...the actual GLOW show was pretty damn silly / crazy. If there's gonna be a Season 2 - it's gonna involve the actual show and pop culture / celebrity. Only limits are their imagination so - I guess they got that goin' for 'em.

• 9 months later...