Hondo's Bar

The Umbrella Academy (Netflix)

umbrlla_academy.jpg

My Chemical Romance singer’s superhero comic, Umbrella Academy, headed to Netflix

10-episode, live-action series

The Umbrella Academy, a strange, absurd and funny “superhero” comic from My Chemical Romance frontman, Gerard Way, is about to become a live-action series on Netflix.

The internet network confirmed today that it has ordered 10 episodes for a first season, which will debut in 2018. Steve Blackman, best known for his work on FX’s Fargo, will act as showrunner. The pilot episode of the series will be written by Jeremy Slater, who is best known for creating The Exorcist TV show currently airing on Fox.

The Umbrella Academy follows a dysfunctional family of siblings with unique powers. The Monocle, Spaceboy, the Kraken, the Rumor, the Séance, Number Five, the Horror, and the White Violin aren’t the most functional, but they’re forced to come together to solve the mystery surrounding their father’s death.

“These aren’t the usual superheroes, and this series will embrace the singular tone of the graphic novels — dark yet humorous, supernatural yet grounded in reality,” Cindy Holland, Netflix’s vice president of original content, said in a press release.

The Umbrella Academy and its spinoff, The Umbrella Academy: Dallas ran for a total of 12 issues between them — and three additional short stories — between September 2007 and 2013. The comic won an Eisner Award in 2008 for Best Finite Series/Limited Series.

More information about the television adaptation is expected to be released soon, with San Diego Comic-Con around the corner.

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/7/11/15956324/umbrella-academy-netflix-live-action-series

One of my personal favorite little books. Hoping they do it right. If you haven't read it, do yourself a favor and read it before the show!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Seasons 1 & 2 are some of my favourite comic-related shows(I spruik it constantly as the best, most emotionally honest approach to the X-men on screen) and this is no shade on Panch but I'm damned glad I watched before I read because the comics are fucking nutty, and I probably wouldn't have ventured far into them if I hadn't dug the show so much. 

Season 3 didn't have as much impact on me, which I put down to the soundtrack and a lack of those music/action moments that punctuated earlier content so perfectly. Closest to that for me was maybe the opening dance sequence when Sparrows and Umbrellas meet.