Hondo's Bar

Deadpool 2

Rumor: Kyle Chandler cast as Cable

CpuA7HwUMAAmtHP.jpg

In the months since Deadpool hit theaters earlier this year, details have been pretty sparse on the development of Deadpool 2. The sequel is definitely in development and the first draft of the script was expected to be done very soon as of the end of June. But even without any story details, the scene at the end of the credits of the first movie keyed us in to the introduction of the character Cable, and plenty of names have been thrown into the ring as candidates. Now one more has entered the mix.

Bloodline and Super 8 star Kyle Chandler has reportedly been mentioned in conjunction with the role of Cable as Deadpool 2 has been developing, though it doesn’t sound like he’s officially in negotiations to take the role just yet. Find out more about the Deadpool 2 Cable casting after the jump.

On the latest episode of Meet the Movie Press (via ScreenRant), reporter Jeff Sneider mentioned that he’s heard Chandler’s name several times with regards to the Cable role in Deadpool 2. However, it should be noted that since this information was merely mentioned on this web series and not used as a story in the trades that it’s probably a little less reliable. That being said, that doesn’t mean Chandler isn’t still in the running for the role.

fans apparently wanted Stephen Lang

maxresdefault.jpg

What a damned odd rumor. Chandler seems like such an odd choice. Lang looks the part in the face, but I can't recall seeing him in anything other than Avatar. I still would want some older, muscle bound dude who can pull off those shoulder pads. They got Sly for Guardians 2, maybe we could finally see Arnold in a Marvel film as Cable? He pulled off the Cable look pretty much already in Genisys.

Make this fucking happen, Ryan Reynolds!

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
Do it!

• 2 months later...

'Deadpool 2’ Domino Shortlist Includes Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Lizzy Caplan

domino-deadpool.jpg

While the sequel doesn’t yet have a firm release date, development is moving right along on Deadpool 2, and director Tim Miller and the film’s producers are now looking towards casting a key female role. Sources close to the production exclusively tell Collider that testing has begun for the character of Domino, and the actresses under consideration include Lizzy Caplan (Masters of Sex), Mary Elizabeth Winstead (10 Cloverfield Lane), Sienna Miller (American Sniper), Sofia Boutella (Star Trek Beyond), Stephanie Sigman (Spectre), and Sylvia Hoeks (Overspel).There could be other actresses included in the mix, but sources tell us that at least these six performers have tested or are going to test for the role.

Like Deadpool, Domino is a mercenary and a mutant, and her powers include the ability to initiate random telekinetic acts that turn probability in her favor. Additionally, she has a close connection to the mutant Cable, as her comics history found her becoming a partner, confidante, and lover of the mutant and frequent frenemy of Deadpool. It was previously confirmed during the post-credits sequence for Deadpool that Cable will appear in Deadpool 2, so the inclusion of Domino in the sequel as well makes sense.

Site here says it was casting Cable that broke the camel's back. I tend to side with Reynolds and don't really see Kyle Chandler as Cable. I think both Miller and Deadpool 2 will be fine--Reynolds and original writers are on the sequel.

...Miller wanted the second film to be more stylized, while Reynolds (a producer on both films) wanted to keep the raunchy, fourth-wall-breaking comedy approach that made the first film such a success. Their conflict reportedly came to a head with the rumored casting of Kyle Chandler as Cable. Chandler was Miller’s choice, but Reynolds didn’t want him for the part...

Miller’s exit on Friday was amicable, and the director is jumping into another Fox project, Influx, based on the David Suarez novel.

• 4 weeks later...

Deadpool 2 Lands John Wick Director

David Leitch better get an appetite for chimichangas.

Leitch, one half of the directing and stunt team behind the John Wick movies, has closed a deal to direct Fox’s Deadpool 2.

The development occurs just weeks after Fox lost Tim Miller as the director to the X-Men spin-off sequel. Miller, who was an integral part of the first movie, which opened in February this year, exited the project over "creative differences" with star Ryan Reynolds.

• 1 month later...

Cable's Backstory Is Too Ridiculous Even for Deadpool 2

At the end of Deadpool, there wasn’t an end-credits tag where Cable showed up, but Deadpool himself did announce that the time-traveling mutant would be appearing in the sequel. So now that Deadpool 2 is officially on its way, the writers have to deliver on that promise. Speaking to Collider, Deadpool writers Paul Wernick and Rhett Reese explained that they plan to tackle Cable’s backstory by... not tackling it.

REESE: I think authenticity is so important. I think part of what made Deadpool such a success, I think we’re going to continue that authenticity.

WERNICK: So with Cable, he’s got such a convoluted past, and such a convoluted origin story that I think we’re going to try to leave that, not mysterious, but there are a lot of twists and turns, cloning and all this stuff where you go, “Oh my God. How do we get that across in a two hour movie?” I think we’re going to distill him down to his essence. It will be authentic and faithful, but it’s not going to include the 18,000 details if you were going to read a Wikipedia page about Cable you’d roll your eyes.

For the uninitiated, a very streamlined version of Cable’s backstory involves him being the son of Cyclops and a clone of Jean Grey. And then he’s raised in the future and, as an adult, sent back in time to when he would have been a child had he not been time traveled as an infant. Yeah. And Deadpool 2 isn’t bringing Cable in with, say, an X-Men movie already explaining that.

In all honesty, maybe just sort of leaving Cable’s backstory up to the viewer to imagine is the best way to go here. We want to see Deadpool and Cable interact, not spend an hour just trying to explain where the hell he comes from.

The important thing for the purposes of Deadpool is that Cable has a very strong moral compass and a devotion to a mission of saving mankind. Deadpool is....Deadpool. Seriousness is not his deal. The interplay between the two of them is what we want to see.

Writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick have confirmed to Collider that Negasonic Teenage Warhead and Colossus will indeed return for the sequel, albeit in what sounds like reduced roles:

PAUL WERNICK: I can’t say how much they are…

RHETT REESE: I think we can say. Yeah, they’ll be in the sequel.

WERNICK: Yeah, they’ll make at least an appearance.

Meanwhile, speaking of returning characters, while speaking to Nerdist, the writers confirmed that hapless cab driver Dopinder will be back in the sequel, too. Returns for everybody!

best response on GAF:

Have Deadpool very quickly tell the audience Cable's origin with crudely made crayon drawings and have it all look like a really shitty parody of Spider-Man 2's opening.

And Deadpool should draw Cable in different costumes from the comics as he narrates the history. The jokes for the blue and yellow unitard write themselves. "Someone forgot that their jockstrap goes on the inside of the costume..."

costume_cable_xforce.jpg

Reese & Wernick should really be up in this thread. Gold, I tell ya!

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
Have your agent call my agent.

• 1 month later...

That teaser had a few differences from the theatrical version. In the theater version when Wade stops and removes his headphone he was listening to "Just Call Me Angel" by Juice Newton and the Newtonians. Also, is it just my shit memory or did Stan Lee not appear in the theatrical version? Wade never called Laird int he theater version either. So, in summary, the Internet version is better.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
No weasing the juice!

Okay - a Wolvie / Deadpool buddy pic has to happen now.

Unless Jackman changes his mind for a cameo in Deadpool 2, I don't see that happening. He's been pretty adamant in the press for Loga that he's done with the character and "sheathed his claws," so to speak. Now, Deadpool meets X-23. That could happen.

I'm kinda hoping Deadpool2 is going to be a parody of time travel films or a time travel/fish-out-of-water plot. I'm thinking something akin to Austin Powers but a smidge less cartoonish and with much more violence and vulgarity. Cable could potentially be a classic straightman to Wade's wackiness.