Hondo's Bar

The Munsters

NBC to reboot The Munsters in "hipster Brooklyn"

EXCLUSIVE: The Munsters are back! NBC is rebooting the 1960s comedy series about a family of lovable monsters with Odd Mom Out creator Jill Kargman and Seth Meyers.

Inspired by the original series, the half-hour single-camera The Munsters, now in development, follows members of an offbeat family who are determined to stay true to themselves but struggle to fit in in hipster Brooklyn. (In the original, the Munsters resided at the famous 1313 Mockingbird Lane address in the city of Mockingbird Heights, a fictional suburb in California.)

Kargman will write the script and will executive produce with Sethmaker Shoemeyers Productions’ Meyers and Mike Shoemaker. Universal TV is the studio.

could be worse

Could be kewl.

I'd prefer another Addams Family project, but if this works - that stop-motion Addams Family flick would only be a matter of time.

I remember that Munsters reboot / made-for-tv movie from the 90s - eagerly watched that premiere, I think it launched that 'Munsters Today' series. I don't know if these things can exist in today's current tv...menu / palette / flavor, to be really successful (which I hope is the intent). Maybe.

I expect a complete reinvention. Maybe super-colorful, pseudo-cartoony...very 'Creature Feature'-y on the 'Munsters end'...I'm seeing a White Zombie-type aesthetic (90s era) o' stuff. Fun homage to classic cheese...contrasted w/...ah dunno, all that kinda stuff is kinda celebrated and already a huge part of our culture. (Comicons, nostalgia, retro-fever...)

You'd think the Munsters would be received as the 'coolest bastards on the block'. 'The hardest-core cosplayer family this side o' Mockingbird Lane'.

So when you met Al Lewis was he doing his weird southerner schtick? My understanding is that for a period of his life he began dressing like a rich Texan and affecting a Southern accent for no apparent reason. He was a weird guy.

I don't remember him having a Southern accent. The restaurant was Italian. I think it was called Grandpa's. It was 30 years ago though.

^ Yeah. Looks like they tried to make 'em into 'Addams'. I'd be curious to see that version actually play-out.

It's really gonna be tough to make 'The Munsters' today and strike 'that' cord / resonate in the mainstream like they did in the 60s. I think they (producers) should embrace their (Munsters) colorful / cartoony aspect - and try to contrast that...which I think in today's 'modern' culture - would be really tough. (mind blown - set it in the 60s! Wait, forgot...it's hipster Brooklyn.)

The Addams Family always came across to me as an isolated family, by choice - but loved visitors, company and their 'free time'. The Munsters for me, was just a normal, sociable, everyday family...that just happened to look like baaarely 'legally acceptable' Universal Monster rip-offs. High jinks ensue as they go about everyday activities - and always 'sticking out'. A reboot could work.

the_munsters_by_b_maze-d3j2at0.jpg

d7212e03e5c820222ef5f5ad042237c6--the-munsters-adams-family.jpg

'Cuz the intro rocks - LOL

tumblr_lzijb26ZOV1qf1unno1_400.gif

tumblr_nb50czD6tk1tavhk0o1_500.gif