Hondo's Bar

Scorsese and De Niro's "The Irishman"

The NZA

Netflix picks up Scorsese and De Niro's "The Irishman", now aiming for 2019 release

In a sign of the ongoing power shift in Hollywood, Martin Scorsese’s $100-million gangster movie “The Irishman,” his ninth starring Robert De Niro, has been scooped up by Netflix, which is in the process of closing a deal to release the movie to its 93 million subscribers in 190 countries.

The movie was going to be backed by Paramount Pictures, but with its 12-year chairman Brad Grey heading out the door, Scorsese’s team put together another package. As someone close to the deal put it, “Scorsese’s movie is a risky deal, and Paramount is not in the position to take risks. This way, he can make the project he wants.”

We now live in a world where Netflix is in a better position than any major studio to make a Martin Scorsese-Robert DeNiro gangster movie. Netflix would not comment on the deal.

[...]

The movie has no official start date, but sources say it is aiming for 2019 release day-and-date with a limited Oscar-qualifying release.

Pesci, Keitel, and Cannavale officially on board now.

update

Grant Wilfley Casting is seeking Italian Americans of all ages, interested in working as extras for the film, between mid-September and the end of January, 2018.

If this was 25 years ago (and if I knew who any of these people were when I was 6 years old) I would be losing my mind with excitement about this. But a lot of average work by everybody here since then, has dampened my hype.

That said though, sweet Jesus that's probably the greatest cast ever assembled, being led by the greatest director of all time. Can you imagine how good this could be?

Edited by alive she cried

• 5 months later...

Scorsese’s THE IRISHMAN finishes shooting. Could be Scorsese’s most expensive movie ever made.

Principal photography on “The Irishman” has officially wrapped as of March 5, Martin Scorsese confirmed on his Instagram page. The gangster drama began filming last August in and around New York City. 

Despite the fact Scorsese has finished filming “The Irishman” early in the year, don’t expect Netflix to release it in 2018. The director has been targeting a 2019 release for some time now since the special effects work needed on the movie is extensive. The movie is told primarily through flashbacks and will star De Niro as all versions of Sheeran. Scorsese is working with Industrial Light and Magic to de-age De Niro, similar to what the company did with Brad Pitt for “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.