Hondo's Bar

Shazam

The NZA

Report: 'Shazam' eyeing Cena or Sasse, Billy Batson character bio revealed

uskym.jpg

Just say the magic word and we are back with another scoop from the land of superheroes. So let’s get into it…Shazam!

While the geek world shifts through all of the various Joker movies that are in development. New Line Cinema. a subsidiary of Warner Bros quietly has been whittling away at their own upcoming contribution to DC Comics on film, with their production of Shazam. The long in development movie, about an ordinary kid who receives the power of the gods, has been gaining speed behind the scenes as it moves closer to filming next year.

Annabelle: Creation director David F. Sanberg has been hired to direct the first big-screen adaptation of Shazam, and he has not been shy about sharing his ambitions for the project in recent weeks. In addition to previously revealing that there’s a finished script for the project, credited to Henry Gayden, he also has confirmed that it would be the next movie to lens for the DC Extended Universe.

It seems that Sandberg is indeed correct and there’s currently a huge casting search underway for the next Billy Batson and Shazam. In fact, we received an interesting update on the project recently and were provided the following description of the Billy Batson role:

Male, 12-15 years old. A teenager who becomes Captain Marvel, the world’s mightiest mortal. Granted access to incredible powers by the wizard Shazam, he speaks the wizard’s name and is struck by a lightning bolt that gives him the powers of the gods.

That description of Batson is torn from the pages of the comics and is a firm assertion that the history of the character will be respected in the adaptation. In fact, the film’s working synopsis seems to signal that the comic’s mythology won’t be avoided:

Based on the DC Comics character “Shazam!” Billy Batson becomes Captain Marvel, the world’s mightiest mortal, when he says the magic word “Shazam! The name is an acronym for six gods and heroes of the ancient world as well as their attributes. The wisdom of Solomon, strength of Hercules, stamina of Atlas, power of Zeus, courage of Achilles and speed of Mercury.

The synopsis isn’t set in stone but does set the tone for the upcoming movie, which is slated to be Sandberg’s first lighthearted cinematic romp. While the search for Billy Batson is still casting a wide net, it seems that the studio is closing in on Shazam himself.

According to our sources, actor Joshua Sasse (Galavant) and wrestling superstar John Cena (Bumblebee spin-off film) are tentatively the front runners for the role of Shazam. While there apparently was a third dark horse contender that has seemingly fallen out of favor, however that name couldn’t be confirmed. Sasse is undoubtedly the lesser known of the two named actors, however that could work in the studio’s benefit as he could become the face of the hero, without being weighed down by previous cinematic baggage.

On the other hand, Cena is one of wrestling’s most recognizable faces and has steadily been growing his filmography over the past decade. Cena seemingly opened new doors with his comedic performance in Trainwreck, as a dopey, yet lovable bro who was at the receiving end of Amy Schumer’s jokes. That experience will presumably come in handy if he is indeed cast as Shazam. A hero with the power and physique of Superman, but the mind of a pre-teen.

The identity of the film’s villain is still tightly under wraps. It’s been widely reported that there aren’t any overt plans to include the Black Adam character as the film’s primary antagonist, however, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is currently attached to the project as a producer, along with DC Films’ Geoff Johns. It’s unclear how large and in what capacity Johnson will be producing. But it’s worth noting that he typically produces projects that he’s involved in, which would seemingly bode well for potential future installments in the franchise.

The movie is scheduled to roll cameras in the first week of February. This will position it as the next DC film to hit theaters following next year’s Aquaman and it’s kid-friendly nature, could be the perfect palette cleanser before the new wave, or phase, of DC films hits theaters. There is a lot more to come on this one.

• 1 month later...

DC's 'Shazam!' to Star Zachary Levi (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter

[IMG]

[IMG] 

Zachary Levi is going to be Earth's mightiest mortal.

The actor will star in the DC comic book adaptation Shazam!, which follows a boy named Billy Batson, who can transform into an adult superhero by uttering the magic word "Shazam!" The name is an acronym of the ancient world gods and historical figures Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles and Mercury, from which the big Batson derives his heroic attributes when in adult form.

• 8 months later...

[IMG]

source

Synopsis

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, alive she cried said:

Felt overly "kiddy" to me. From the vibe I'm getting I don't think we're the target demographic. 

Shazam is not a dark and gritty character.

I don't want DC to fuck him up like they did with superman.

i keep wondering which of these films will be the next wonder woman type hit and be the catalyst for moving away from the snyderverse (theyve already lost affleck anyway) but I'm starting to wonder if maybe they'll do some quieter stories like this and hope no one notices an ongoing soft reboot in the background or something 

yeah, he definitely felt calmed down/different...i gathered that i was supposed to assume that change came from watching supes die, but still 

and sometimes flash's humor fell flat but i didn't wanna critique it too much cause god knows they prolly barely squeezed those bits in there 

I mean, it's bad writing across the board but the intent I've picked up is that BvS Batman was in the midst of a rampage following the death of Jason Todd/the destruction of Metropolis.  He was on edge in a big way and seeing the results of those actions as well as the level-headed influence of Diana caused him to lighten up in the aftermath.  But I'm cool with Justice League Batman just being THE Batman now and leaving BvS Batman in the dumpster with Ed Norton Hulk and Terence Howard Rhodey.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Da Cap'n 2099 said:

What I meant was: how is Shazam gonna fit interacting with Batman and shit? I just don't see it in this universe.

Are there plans for this? I get my movie news here so I’m out of the loop most of the time. Like will he meet up with the JL in a future film? From the trailer here it seemed like there were nods (with the batarang and Supes newspaper), like “hey these people exist in this reality.” I also have a hard time picturing them actually interacting!

1 hour ago, The NZA said:

i gathered that i was supposed to assume that change came from watching supes die

1 hour ago, Iambaytor said:

the intent I've picked up is that BvS Batman was in the midst of a rampage following the death of Jason Todd/the destruction of Metropolis.

Bad storytelling is having to assume everything (I know we're not divided on this, just saying).

7 minutes ago, Donatella said:

Are there plans for this? I get my movie news here so I’m out of the loop most of the time. Like will he meet up with the JL in a future film? From the trailer here it seemed like there were nods (with the batarang and Supes newspaper), like “hey these people exist in this reality.” I also have a hard time picturing them actually interacting!

Exactly. And, yes, we're to assume they will interact at some point.

Conclusion: ASSUME NOTHING... AND EVERYTHING!

Edited by Da Cap'n 2099

1 hour ago, Da Cap'n 2099 said:

Bad storytelling is having to assume everything (I know we're not divided on this, just saying).

Yes and no, a good story doesn't need to have the characters spell it out in dialogue (Example: "Batman's been a real mess since the death of his partner") but where BvS failed is that it picked up Batman's story in the middle.  Presumably he hasn't always been like this but the only sign we really see of that is the way Alfred reacts to his behavior.  Ultimately it feels like there's a Batman movie missing from the continuity, we don't have an example of what he was like before so the most natural thing to assume is that he's always been the grimdark asshole he is in the movie.

Again with the word "assume." We, as folks with these characters and their stories ingrained in our psyche, tend to "assume" or fill in the gaps with the decades of that info. But what about the Layman? The folks that have never read a Batman comic or seen a Batman movie (they exist, trust me). I always think of those people. So, from a storytelling standpoint, I try to look through their eyes. That's all.

And I wanna play Devil's advocate.