Hondo's Bar

Channel Zero

....ehhhh

so yeah, for syfy standards, this was mostly solid!

but after tying up season 1:

1) it felt like a short story that got dragged out just a little bit, not too bad but enough to leave plot holes

why exactly did the old teacher decide to sacrifice her kid & bet hell-bent on bringing the one kid that stopped a seizure back? how exactly did eddie start the candle cove, and why would he do so (when clearly only the teacher had use for an army of killer kids)? wait, so we're all good with the kids playing again & no one needs therapy? etc

so yeah not as padded out as a regular series might've gotten but still just a bit more than the story warranted

2) acting was a mixed bag early on but it grew on me - still, donny pointed out how the editing/sound was all but missing in some of the scenes that were meant to be spookier/etc. like towards the end, it should've been super creepy but bits felt absent

that said, stuff like the casting for the child actors (who mostly looked dead-on for their older counterparts) was great, and the creepy plot was enough to keep you on board the whole way through despite the flaws.

i'll wait till season 2 ties up to check it out, this was definitely more enjoyable than misses like american horror story but there was admittedly bits on the table i thought weren't well utilized/didn't click for me & come together like they could've. there was enough potential here to keep my interest going, though!

I couldn't help thinking the entire first season was a missed opportunity. It should have been creepy. But it wasn't. I should have been scared. But I wasn't. More often than not, it felt a little silly. When I just took it as a murder mystery, I was able to get through the season, but I just kept telling NZA, "this could have been so good!"

It was frustrating because all the elements were there. The story was great (apart from the plot holey stuff NZA mentioned). I really loved the premise. The acting was there. It wasn't until the last couple episodes that it clicked for me. I think the combination of bad editing/sound/score made certain scenes have far less of an impact than was intended.

The whole time I just kept thinking that on paper this probably sounded amazing, but it was just poorly executed. I'd probably give it like a 4 out of 10.

Sometimes I feel like you guys go into things just looking to hate them

Editing/sound/score? Really? Smdh.

ya'll should kinda slow down here - it's okay to not fully agree on everything, right? discussing is what we're here to do, these posts discourage that.

i mean, both of us said we went into this as horror fans wanting to dig it - i came out saying yeah, not bad for syfy but there was stuff that didn't make sense, the tooth monster never really did anything for me either way, etc. donny - who went to film school - points out how certain scenes could've had more impact if done a certain way, that's a valid critique...why dump on it?

i've absolutely adored stuff no one here has cared for or bothered with, and that's alright too.

Sometimes I feel like you guys go into things just looking to hate them

It was the literal opposite for me here. I think we were three episodes in when I was telling Nick that I was frustrated because I really wanted to love this. The story was there. It had all the potential to be amazing but it just wasn't working for me and at that point I couldn't pinpoint why. But I was so into the story that I finished the entire season hoping it would get better.

So yeah, as insulting as your comment is, that isn't what happened here.

No offense intended! Just felt a little harsh is all, but horror is probably the most subjective of genres outside of maybe comedy, so I can see where y'all are coming from. And I didnt know you went to film school so those criticisms make more sense in that context.

Thanks for saying that. I've always felt like contrarianism is the most unattractive quality in a person and it annoys me to no end. So I hate being thought of that way in any context! Especially when it comes to film and TV which are some of my most favorite artistic mediums! That is probably why I hold them to a higher standard.