Hondo's Bar

Disney reportedly held talks to acquire most of 21st Century Fox

Keth

Link

21st Century Fox has been in talks to sell most of its company to Disney, according to a report by CNBC. The discussions are said to have centered around Fox shedding its film and TV divisions, networks like FX and National Geographic, and the company’s stakes in international networks like Star TV and Sky.

Fox is said to be primarily interested in selling its entertainment divisions in order to focus on what the company’s management is said to view as its most profitable areas; selling the costly film and TV divisions to Disney would let Fox better focus on its successful news and sports programming. As such, Fox isn’t said to be interested in selling the Fox broadcast network, Fox Sports, and the Fox News and Fox Business brands. (Incidentally, Disney also legally can’t own the Fox network because it already owns ABC, and would probably run into antitrust issues with ESPN if it somehow could convince 21st Century Fox to sell Fox Sports.)

For now, it seems that talks haven’t progressed very far, with The Wall Street Journal adding on to CNBC’s report by noting that the companies are no longer actively discussing the deal.

Marvel wants the rights to their characters back (they already did a backroom deal to get back the use of spidey). And who wouldn't want to see Deadpool and Thanos fight over who gets to bang Death itself; or make it official that Loki is really Wade Wilson's father? Meanwhile, Fox wants to concentrate on being right-wing tools without the stink of liberal Hollywood.

1 hour ago, The NZA said:

yeah, I know I should be with others concerned about conglomerates owning everything, but the half hour this was looking like a possibility, I too only thought of marvel 

I feel the same. Disney is not without their faults, I'm sure, but they've only improved everything they've acquired so far. In some cases, by a LOT. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Talks are picking up steam

Both companies have set teams of bankers on the case to work out the fine print.

Disney is working with a group that includes JP Morgan and Guggenheim Partners. Both entities have long relationships with Disney.

Fox has Goldman Sachs and Centerview Partners crunching its numbers. Centerview is said to be focused on financial details related to the Fox assets that would not be part of the Disney acquisition. Goldman Sachs and Centerview previously advised Fox on its unsolicited $80 billion bid in 2014 for Time Warner, among other deals.

It is possible that a  deal could be struck before Christmas, according to a source close to the matter.

Fox declined to comment. Disney reps did not return a call seeking comment.

Disney is negotiating a deal valued at $74 billion by Bernstein Research analyst Todd Juenger, which he calculated as a 30% premium on the $57.4 billion enterprise value of the assets in question. The assets on the table include the 20th Century Fox film and TV studio, the FX Networks, Nat Geo Channels group, 22 regional sports networks, Fox’s collection of international channels, including Star India, and its 39% stake in Sky. Staying behind would be Fox Broadcasting Co., the 28 Fox O&O TV stations and the national Fox Sports and Fox News operations.

source

reading about how murdoch got screwed here after FOX - which isn't doing well, but was propped up by saudi princes who were part of the recent arrestes - has been fascinating.  this timeline might slowly be correcting itself 

Aside from Sony/Spider-Man, would this make Marvel whole? There's some tricky Hulk stuff too, but do they have any others floating around anywhere? If they get this then they may pump the brakes on this whole "Avengers 3 being the end of the MCU" thing. Cause Galactus and DOOM still need their due.

I know that's all we care about here right?

Aaaand done

Fox owns the studio, for example, that produces the ABC hit “Modern Family.” Now Disney will take control of the program, and benefit from syndication and other distribution of the series.  The 20

th Century Fox studio has the rights to make movies for Marvel characters like “X-Men” the result of deals struck before Disney purchased Marvel in  2009. Fox also controls rights to the one “Star Wars” film that is not under Disney’s aegis – the first movie in the franchise, “Star Wars: A New Hope.”

More importantly, Disney will gain access to overseas markets with Fox’s interest in Sky. 21st Century Fox has been working for months to purchase the shares of Sky it does not own, but the process has so far been tamped down by British regulators, who have expressed wariness of business operations at Fox News. With that unit remaining with the Murdochs, Disney may have its own opportunity to buy Sky in whole and gain a new perch in overseas distribution.

The deal also gives Disney majority control of Hulu, as Disney also owns a 30% stake in the streaming giant. But that sets up a potential clash over the direction of the company with Comcast and Time Warner, who together own the remaining interest in Hulu. The expectation is that Disney will try to buy out those stakes, although Comcast may not be inclined to sell given that Disney intends to launch its own OTT services to compete with cable and other MVPDs.

Didn't know that about Star Wars. Things are gonna get interesting now. I'm really curious what this will do with things like Deadpool too. Worried about some things, excited with others. 

screenshot2017-12-14aqtqt4.png

[IMG]

this is everything but fox news & sports, goddamn. i know there's ramifications here but just so happy to have the team back under one umbrella - much less FF books hopefully returning under marvel legacy!

again, if ike perlmutter could fuck off & retire/die it'd really turn things around

• Upvote 1

WOW.  Did NOT see this coming.  Awesome news - but like Axels -

12 hours ago, Axels said:

Worried about some things, excited with others. 

I wonder if they're gonna fast-track implementation of the newly acquired Marvel IPs.  I say wait for a MCU reboot, build it all back up from scratch.  Jeez - they could keep these films going on for decades.  (Hoy!)

A giant X-Men / Avenger / FF cross-over flick is gonna be outta hand epic - but I'm still waiting to see how they handle 'Infinity War'...that's a lot of star power (actors and characters).  From what I hear 'bout JL - all that is tough to juggle in an hour and a half.  The first 'Avengers' pulled it off - but not so much it's sequels...for me.

Marvel's cinematic future seems so bright right now.  Super curious about Deadpool and ventures like 'Logan' ever happening again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Comcast Officially Bows Out Of Fox Race Leaving Disney Free To Acquire The X-MEN And FANTASTIC FOUR

FF.jpg

Well, the X-Men, Fantastic Four, Deadpool and countless other film and television properties! Regardless, Comcast is officially out of the race and Disney is now free and clear to acquire 21st Century Fox.

Well, this is some well-timed news with Comic-Con in full swing! It's been confirmed today that Comcast has officially bowed out of its bidding war with Disney to acquire 21st Century Fox's assets as the cable giant instead sets its sights on landing European satellite TV giant Sky. That means Disney is now free and clear to purchase the studio and add a huge number of franchises to its massive fold.

"Comcast does not intend to pursue further the acquisition of the Twenty-First Century Fox assets and, instead, will focus on our recommended offer for Sky," the company said in a statement today. Brian L. Roberts, ComcastCEO, added: "I’d like to congratulate Bob Iger and the team at Disney and commend the Murdoch family and Fox for creating such a desirable and respected company."

While the Disney/Fox merger still needs to be finalised, this means the X-Men and Fantastic Four characters are pretty much guaranteed to arrive in the Marvel Cinematic Universe at some point in the next few years. That makes this shared world bigger than ever and ensures that Kevin Feige and company will be telling stories for not just another decade but probably a good two or three more!

Edited by alive she cried
  • Really Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Disney and Fox shareholders approve $71.3 billion merger

Shareholders of 21st Century Fox and Disney have voted to approve Disney’s $71.3 billion buyout of major Fox assets.

Shareholders gathered Friday morning at the New York Hilton for separate meetings to vote on the historic transaction that the companies first set back in December. Both meetings were brief, lasting less than 15 minutes.

John Nallen, 21st Century Fox CFO, told Fox shareholders the merger is expected to be completed in the first half of 2019.

38de9a4db24f469a52e6b67a9665813b.jpg

barring gov't fuckery (...) it'd finally done, i read elsewhere that all could be finalized by mid 2019

still somehow enough time for that avengers 4 post credits scene with a single stretchy hand and the words "i think i have a solution."