Hondo's Bar

Artist To Fuck Off In 2003

The NZA

Who should be muzzled by the year's end?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a thin line there. Basically, when an artist releases something, they are gonna have some fans, no matter what... unless you suck, then your only fan is yourself. But if an artist has any kind of fan following, the more the music is altered, then the more likely their fans that were with them in the beginning won't be there anymore. IC, i totally get what you're saying about sticking with an artist for who they are - i mean, that's why i like some aritsts' albums and not other albums. However, i'm going to listen to what i like. Sometimes mainstream'll hurt em and sometimes it won't. What does disappoint me are the artists that change their sound and you never hear that sound again. As if they were no longer in existance. And that's the light under which their fans from the beginning see them as. Sure you got restraints from record companies.... That's why i give much respect to artist like prince and smashin pumpkins (danny said that they released an album on the internet as a followup because of contract constraints) for the balls to get their stuff out there.

okay a few things ithink nick should know about us (meaning michelle and my) music tastes to maybe explain some of our music tastes/allegiances

(michelle just chime in if anything i say doesn't fit your beliefs, but i've known you for likr 6 years, and we've had many disscusions about this, so i think we have similar views on this)

1.) a majority of our hate for mainstream comes from the people at our high school. folks jumpin on the bandwagon cause they saw the patch at hot topic, yes it's their perogative, and i have afew mainstream-er friends, but i think it's kinda lame that you will only listen to something because it's on trl, or the only reason you're listening to it is because it's socially acccepted and liked by the masses, regardless if you actually like the band/singer whatever. it kinda takes away from what the band is about when you have a bunch of preteens liking you because seventeen said it was okay.

2.) our music tastes are so eclectic, we've been downloading stuff and it's been from 50 cent wanksta, to paul macartney maybe i'm amazed, to eve satisfaction, to tom petty, to le tigre, to suzie quatro. michelle is more of an emo kid if anything and i'm more indie, but pretty much our music tastes differ from genre, i know i don't mind listening to someting new, and neither does michelle, even if it's mainstream, (using michelle's rosa parks example) if it sounds good i'll listen to it, EVEN if it's on trl. (porejemplo john mayer, or even 311, i really dug amber)

3.) location has somehing to do with it to, since california has a large music scene, when a band we've come to know and love from cali, which we have seen play in small venues, makes it big and forgets about their roots or what they represented in the beginning, it lets down their loyal fans who have been there since the get go. good example, papa roach, they're doing fucking pepsi commercials, now come back home to vacaville and charge $20 a ticket, that shit ain't right in my opinion.

Maybe its just me, but whats the big deal if a band does Commercials? its sickeningly large contract deals for companies like pepsi, I mean in the millions. I'd only say that I wouldn't back it if I don't like it myself. But if its something I like and they throw a truckload of cash my way to endorse it on TV, damn, why not?

Granted you need to keep tabs on yourself and not endorse everything under the sky but a couple of huge contracts never hurt anybody. Tickets at $20+ thou do suck. I know the bands have limited control over the prices (the arenas add thier own nasty uprate) Prices should be kept as low as feasable if you can afford to do it and not lose money. Specially if your pulling in a few mill from sales and endorsments you can let your ticket prices slide a touch.

Leah - fair enough, I understand its annoyin when your friends only wanna hear the single off the album they know, or radio stuff. Another example is The Eminem Show, his last album - pretty good shit, most way through. Not quite one of those albums you just let loop but a surprising number of good tracks, a few of which are gettin killed on the radio.

But if you put that album on around most folks, its all "Lets hear that superman one or the one where he sings..." and they dont even wanna hear other shit by a name they recognize, that's weak.

Eclectic music tastes are good, oughta be the norm. And if you were a nobody and your hometown helped get you on the scene, i agree that you should do cheap shows, if not a freebie if youre doin that well, so long as you have some control over ticket price before Ticketmaster whores it up.

As another example, i knew a few chicks back in miami that were fans of Matchbox 20 (like em or not) and went to all their local shows, i think they started out somewhere near there. They got big, and havent come back since...

..as for other mediums...for the most part artists usually cant act but theyre welcome to try, i think Madonna's 80's stuff lowered the bar enough for anyone beyond Lopez. But commercials, eh...its an individual's decision, and certainly if youre not gonna be around forever like Spears, N-Sync etc milk it while you can, but if you're really into it & have integrity, id stay away as long as you can.

"As soon as I see you hocking shit on TV, there goes your artistic credibility. Done. Sure, exceptions are made if youre really new & need it or hard off like Willie Nelson, but outside of that, fuck you - how much money do you need, whore?" - The immortal Bill Hicks

ps see thats weird, $20 strikes me as a good ticket price casue of how much Ticketmaster rips me off usually. I was suprised to see Tom Petty for that little last summer.

no the place that they performed was the same hole in the wall that they had been performing at for years before they became famous. this is the type of place where you pay at the door and if no one is at the door you just sneak right in... but nooo... they had to go ahead and sell them ahead of time and just basically trashed everything about local concerts. on top of that they don't even claim vacaville as their hometown... in all interviews they say sacramento because everyone knows where that is... quite the shady thing

That's really fucking weak. Didnt think they were cool before but i really dont now.

Hey, maybe you guys will get a big school shooting one day, put you right on the map and then everbody from north cali will be like "yeah, were old school vacaville"...hah.

yes that would certainly get us the media attention, though not the right type... LoL... we'd all be potrayed as some kind of psychos. then again it wouldn't divert much from the truth.

vacaville is home to nothing... kinda sucky... we're surrounded by things of importance, but yet we have none of our own. ooo... the pony express went through vacaville... but thats boring. ???

hey how many peole can say that their town lies on a plate? then again it's not something anyone would want anyways.... damn californian earthquakes.

Edited by Freebird

we have... the nut tree!! ??? mmm nevermind.

well, i'm not anti-mainstream, as long as it's good and not cookie-cutter like music that follows trends, etc. stuff like that... etc...

i'm not advocating the dreaded 'selling out'... i don't think bands should be corporate whores... but like somebody said (too lazy to quote, baaad me), you can do a couple things... i wouldn't hate a band for it. if it's a band that's dedicated to music, and they somehow get appreciated and signed, and they decided to do something like a commercial for kicks and beaucoup bucks (i'm not a big crazy fan of money, but i know many people are, more power to em), ok. as long as i don't see them on everything from downy to coke to gap to mcdonald's etc... that would make me wonder.

so yeah, i've just witnessed first hand how being in a band goes... how you have to play in shitty hole in the walls... how other bands with less talent but a more popular sound get noticed... no roadies, no money from shows, 'crowds' of 10 people at shows (and you brought them all). i don't blame bands for wanting to get more and better. a lotta them have gone through hard, long years of crap, and i think they deserve it. this isn't every band of course, but prob'ly a fair number.

artist i most wanna fuck in 2003? that honor would have to go to branden... or quin...

that would be a great thread... or has it already been done? then again that wouldn't be the best idea, too many horny people on a message board is not a good thing.

Edited by Freebird

I skimmed what looked like rehashing of old arguments, but looked at most of the posts. One thing you have to understand is that the reason cleaner (hi-fi, production value, etc), less raw more intense 'real' songs don't get airplay is because that's not what most people want. Second of all, I'd liek to say Incubus has done some substantial watering down of their sound. Listen to SCIENCE and listen to Mornign View and tell me that their still as intense. Incubus is still an incredible talent, I saw them live a few months ago and I'm a fan, but that have recorded songs to suit the radio. I would like to take this moment to say that in contempory rock radio, the two bands that I feel really stand out in really sticking to what's important and still coming out super-successful are Tool and System of a Down. Jax praising SOAD, you say? Yes, I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. Anyway, the fact is, people who are truely intense and cutting edge will be the bands that influence musician and will be the bands that get cult followings and become timeless. Bands like the Velvet Underground, Joy Division, The Pixies, Jane's Addiction, The Mothers Of Invention have popularity today that is highly disproportionate to the popularity when they were recording compared to their contemporaries. You think Papa Roach is gonna be remembered and listened to 30 years from now? Fuck no. Metallica will be remembered, but for their 80's stuff. So I think we can take comfort in that, for the most part, success is fleeting and unfairly distributed, but time will sift out the crap and timelessness will be rewarded to those of high quality music. For now...courage!

yeah i'd have to agree with you in saying that science was an intense album, but then again they were a bunch of 18 year olds having fun and playing fun music. i mean my favorite song from them is a certain shade of green off of science but you can see the growth as musicians from that album to morning view. even though morning view may appear to be 'watered down' i would stand by it and say that it is just as intense as science just on a new level. their talent musically as well as songwriting capabilities continually are expanding and to me they ventured into new territory with morning view and this shows a more matured and grown up style of incubus i can't help but enjoy. i really don't think they were trying to appease any mainstream audience because honestly no one had their sound at the time. i mean sure now bands have their sound but that's just what usually happens when something good works.

I'm not saying that it has to be insanely intense to be good. My favorite Incubus song is Summer Romance (Anti-Gravity Love Song), and that's like the least 'intense' song on that album. It's just they've seemed to me to go a bit stagnate and lazier with their songwriting. It's not nearly as original as it used to be. It seems like during SCIENCE they burned the Guide to Writing Pop Songs, and now they're thumbing through it. I just heard a really effort to be creative and break new ground on SCIENCE, and on Make Yourself too, but while Morning View is far from a bad album, it's a sign to me that they're happy to not break new ground. On the other hand, they are planning own recording a concept album (also known as a rock opera) that has to do with space, and that hasn't been done by a mainstream band in years (Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime in 1988 beign the most recent one I can think of right now), so they're definitely still edgy, but just not as much as before.

well if you put it that way i'd have to agree with you, even though i consider 'matured sound' you consider 'lazy.' i mean when listening to aqueous transmission how can you not applaud their ability to extend into new musical genres? no band has yet done that with their music. they may have lost that edgieness but they are nonetheless still expanding and experimenting into different genres.

..anyway, here's the latest info on Brittney Cleary, a 12-year old pop star who's written a song about instant messaging! I think innovation like that shows that she's really gonna come around when she hits 13, may just revolutionize how we see pop music! Take a look people, lemme know what ya think...

Check this chick out before she's opening for Reznor!

Some folks dont like him - because he's loud, has started shit in the past, his issues with family and such are public, etc. He's all over the place and if you dont know about rap many shut him down as "inustry excitement" when he's actually really good on the mic.

Still others in the rap/hip-hop community see him as the new Elvis, this new tool for whites to steal a predominately black form of music to keep it mainstream. He's recently had a battle with one of the founders of The Source (big rap magazine), Benzino, about alla that. A lotta people hate you when you're on top.

ps wow you sidestepped Brittney there, eh? Cmon check her out, im sure youll be a fan.