Hondo's Bar

Coco

Keth

I believe that non-sequel Pixar movies have been underperforming since Brave (I don't remember if Inside Out made money or was just a critical darling) so they probably didn't have a huge marketing budget.  As Disney's own animated studios have improved, Pixar has kind of been put on the back burner by Disney in the last decade.

On 11/24/2017 at 8:00 PM, Iambaytor said:

I believe that non-sequel Pixar movies have been underperforming since Brave (I don't remember if Inside Out made money or was just a critical darling) so they probably didn't have a huge marketing budget.  As Disney's own animated studios have improved, Pixar has kind of been put on the back burner by Disney in the last decade.

Eh, not so much. According to boxofficemojo, Inside Out grossed $350 million while Cars 3 did only $150 million. For comparison, Moana did between the two with just under $250million.

As for marketing,  I know I saw the trailer in theaters for Coco at least twice. But then again I go to the movies more than the average Joe Hondonian, so it’s understandable if you missed it along the way. But it does seem like marketing in general for films isn’t what it used to be, and  I think that’s due mainly to saturation. Pixar used to only put out one film a year and now they’re putting out two. And on top of that Disney puts out another one or two a year, and then you’ve got the other studioputting out quality competition as well. And on top of that most parents nowadays put a tablet or smartphone in their kids’ hands to keep them quiet, so theaters and the money they dost are far less appealing to families on budgets.

21 hours ago, Drifter said:

I believe that, Disney sabotaging Pixar. Even though Disney bought them I can see them driving the studio into the ground before dissolving it and merging the steaming remains into their own animation studio.

We have a general Pixar thread, or at least we used to, where we should probably move this discussion. However, I will say that I’m not really sure I agree with that. I think that Disney I S Pixar now. A lot of the creative minds that made Pixar such a powerhouse branched out to other areas of the company. For example, John Lasseter who used to run Pixar now runs all of Disney Animation and...oh shit...I just googled John Lasseter and he’s “temporarily stepping down”  because he’s involved in sexual harassment charges too! Are you fucking kidding me?!?! I can’t even...

*sigh*

Goddamnit. Lasseter, too. SMH

So, um, yeah, I’m glad to hear Coco was better than the book of life. I’m going to try and catch it in the theater but more than likely will have to wait for home video as there are too many movies and too little time. 

Okay so Inside Out did good but Cars 3 was a blowout even with the brand recognition, I know Brave didn't do well, and I would be absolutely shocked if The Good Dinosaur was anything resembling a hit.  Pixar has become a shell of its former self at least and in this era I think they need Disney more than Disney needs them.  I don't think it's anything quite so sinister as trying to shut the studio down, I just don't think Disney cares any longer.

Well, Brave did $237million back in 2012. Thats a far cry from “not well.”

And Finding Dory was a monster hit at around $1billion in 2016. The Last Dinosaur I won’t even bother looking up, but I’m sure it was around or less than the BO for Cars3. They can’t all be home runs. 

It’s kind of unfair to say the studio has diminished. Pixar is still a quality studio that takes chances and Coco appears to be a good  example of that. Inside Out, Brave, Last Dinosaur, etc. all show they still put out quality stand-alone animated family films. It’s a catch 22 scenario where Pixar, known for its innovation and storytelling, become so big and successful that they focus on franchises rather than stories with new characters. Incredibles ii already has buzz going for it, and I’m sure Toy Story 4 is in the future. And as long as they’re good stries I won’t hate on Pixar for continuing to put out sequels. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks to HondoShare Vudu account I spent the evening finally watching Coco and 16 of the 17 special features. (I'll have to revisit it later to watch the commentary.)

Wow. Homerun doesn't begin to describe this film. The fact Pixar took six years to make this film and was able to collaborate on such a grand scale is just yet another testament to why they are (arguably) the greatest movie studio/production company of all time. No hyperbole. If you've ever watched a Pixar film featurette then you know how wildly dedicated they are to story and production detail. The story often changes drastically from conception to completion. But Coco has the added layers of music and cultural authenticity. Looking at documentaries on the research and music behind this film was almost as enjoyable as the film itself.