Hondo's Bar

Venom

The NZA

Tom Hardy: 'My favourite 40 minutes of Venom were cut from the film'

so things are going well 

• Sad 1

You probably won't be.  The movie does what I want Venom to do from a character standpoint.  Eddie Brock isn't a bad person, he has a good heart but severely off-kilter moral compass so he just sort of pounds the round peg until it fits in the square hole, add a kinship with a carnivorous space alien with a child's understanding of Earth and its society and you got yourself a stew.  It's also maybe the first superhero movie where the female lead has her own agenda and life that she doesn't throw away for the hero and she is at no point ever damseled in any way shape or form.

It's pretty clear that a bunch of stuff was cut, editing is occasionally weird, the humor is C+ at best, and aside from Eddie and Anne (Michelle Williams' character) there's not much in the way of character to cling to.  You didn't like Suicide Squad, I don't see you liking this.

• Sad 1

Venom Producers Claim Sequel with Carnage May Not Be R-Rated

"You know what? When you hear Venom…forget Venom. When you hear, Carnage, the only thing you can think of is R. But, if you know his story, if you really know the comic, there’s no R here." Avi Arad told Collider. "He’s a tortured soul. It’s not about what he does, because we never have to show the knife going from here to there, and the blood is pouring. What you have to show is, what is the motivation? Was he born like that, or it’s someone we should feel for, because if you are succeeding to make a villain someone you can feel for, jackpot."

9d6.png

can't wait for a bloodless carnage adventure!

i could be misunderstanding here, but it seems that you can get away with some gratuitous violence, so long as there's no blood/gore.  which, if you wanted to tell a story with most villains - doom, magneto, thanos, etc - you absolutely can, and it can be quite dark at that.  but no blood/gore with carnage, of all characters, feels like...a pointless endeavor, to me.