Hondo's Bar

The Disaster Artist

giphy.gif

Just saw The Disaster Artist.  I had never seen The Room until a couple weeks ago and I made the mistake of watching it sober and alone, so the novelty wore off quick but I powered through because I'd heard such great things about Disaster Artist. This one lives up to the hype. I've never been a fan of James Franco, but this is his best performance to date. He NAILS Tommy Wiseau, and plays him with such vulnerability, it will make you laugh and absolutely break your heart. I cried more than once. Wiseau just seems to be so...childlike. He feels BIG emotions, can be so explosive but also so genuine and loving. It's intense.  

Greg Sestero is played by James's little brother Dave Franco, and I was afraid it would be like an Affleck brother situation (where neither one is that fun to watch), but Dave does an awesome job here. It's got a few of Franco's pals in it (including Seth Rogen who also produces), but if you're worried it's getting the Apatow treatment (which isn't bad, just inappropriate here), it definitely does not. James directed this and it feels unlike anything that crew has made. 

I think if I were Wiseau, I'd be thrilled to have such a raw, emotional, hilarious portrayal of my experience. 

And I read today that The Room is getting a wide release because of this film! That's pretty damn cool. 

• Like 2

damn, so you didn't enjoy the room (perfectly understandable) but you really dug this movie about the making of it?  that's pretty interesting, i can't recall the last time i've enjoyed a piece about something else where i didn't like the source material much. 

2 hours ago, The NZA said:

damn, so you didn't enjoy the room (perfectly understandable) but you really dug this movie about the making of it?  that's pretty interesting, i can't recall the last time i've enjoyed a piece about something else where i didn't like the source material much. 

You know, when I was watching it, I kept thinking that it'd be fun with a group of friends or maybe a screening with fans of the movie. I appreciated it but just didn't have the right ambience for it. But the phenomenon it became and the mystery around Wiseau was far more interesting to me than the movie itself! 

FINALLY saw The Disaster Artist today. I would have been really bummed out if we didn't get to see it in theaters. I've heard the book is alot more candid and ruthless when it comes to Tommy's portrayal, but I loved the approach the movie took. Surprisingly uplifting and feel good. I dunno if it is as award worthy as everyone is making it out to be, but it was a damn good movie either way. Though most of the laughs come from the recreations of the movie scenes, which already exist.

This Keth is happy though.

24862118_10210239967696093_9351502217953

2 hours ago, Axels said:

I dunno if it is as award worthy as everyone is making it out to be, but it was a damn good movie either way. 

I'm with you here! I absolutely loved this movie, but I don't know that it's award-caliber good. I think Ladybird, Three Billboards and Shape of Water were more in that vein for me. TDA was just a really enjoyable movie!