Hondo's Bar

Vinyl Pick-Up Thread!

Stilly

Pickups from today!!!

KIEU8AE.jpg

I saved a good chunk of holiday overtime for a trip to Forever Young today (today being the last day off before school kicks in, and the day off right around my birthday), and I found these beauties.

In no particular order (edit: or Alphabetical order, apparently):

• Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F# A# 
  • Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump
  • Rammstein - Reise, Reise

I went in for the GY!BE, because it's the only store I've seen with it. Sure I could order it online, but what's the point? The Rammstein freaking blew me away, though. I had no idea they were doing repressings and IT SOUNDS INCREDIBLE! @MetalHeart YOU NEEDS A TURNTABLE AT SOME POINT!

Edited by Stillbored
  • Upvote 1

Holy shit! Yes, I needs! We have quite a few records that were given to me by my Dad (and I think CJ got some from his mom, too?), and I want to start picking some up soon. I always see ones I want either at Half Priced Books, or Forever Young, but since we're sans turntable... I pass them up.

On 1/12/2018 at 4:51 PM, MetalHeart said:

PS: Listening party sometime soon?

YES! WE NEEDS TO!

On 1/12/2018 at 4:51 PM, MetalHeart said:

Holy shit! Yes, I needs! We have quite a few records that were given to me by my Dad (and I think CJ got some from his mom, too?), and I want to start picking some up soon. I always see ones I want either at Half Priced Books, or Forever Young, but since we're sans turntable... I pass them up.

The vast majority of my collection is from Half Price Books or Goodwill, though I've made out like a bandit at Forever Young a couple times. Need to head there with you and just fucking geek out at some point.

I'm planning on a brand new setup 'round tax time, because I'm an adult god damn it, and because I'll have some cash to throw at it. New shelving, new turntable, prolly a starter amp, and whatnot. I don't know yet.

NEW PICK UP! One of my friends at work gave this to me for mah birfday. Said he found it at HPB, which is good because they range between $45-200 online, depending on condition. It sounds like ass (terrible pressing), but the Coke Bottle coloration is absolutely worth holding on to. Definitely one of the more interesting looking records in my collection, and my first clear one, so still really really happy with it. Plus, it was a gift, and a complete surprise from the guy I talk vinyl with all the time at work, so yay! I will probably pick up a better pressing at some point and frame this one because it just looks so damn cool.

Lgsboqv.jpg

Also, just finished my first vinyl listen-through of Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump and now I'm tired and existentially depressed. Love that album.

• Upvote 1

nice!

okay, so i think this thread needs a most-wanted repress/etc list, for stuff that you're dying to see for a reasonable price!  twist my arm, i'll go first

2Pac - Stricly 4 my..., Me Against the World (this is like my #1)

Micheal Jackson - HIStory (with the booklet!)

Kno - Death is Silent

Heltah Skeltah - Nocturnal 

The Crow OST (i literally don't know if this ever got a vinyl?)

also OST's: Trainspotting, Friday 

Nice! (Lol, didn't even mean to copy your post)

Here's mine:

• Aphex Twin - Drukqs 
  • Presidents of the United States of America - self titled
  • Anything by Cake (seriously, even Motorcade)
  • Sufjan Stevens - Silver and Gold

I would kill any of you people for these. I metaphorically, of course.

Edited by Stillbored
Copycat

Aphex i'd cop, prolly Sufjar too, i forget which album of theirs i adore.  

nine inch nails said they'd be repressing at some point, which is good cause i have pretty hate machine & of course downward spiral, but i'd kill for broken (fragile if that's not pricey too, further down the spiral & things fall apart would both be welcome) 

while we're at it?  pumpkins - mellon collie & infinite sadness 

also what album was annie dog on? 

On 1/15/2018 at 3:54 AM, The NZA said:

prolly Sufjan too, i forget which album of theirs i adore. 

Probably Illinois. It's the only one that I've tried that I can do in one sitting (though I've not gone through even half of everything yet), and I hate myself for it because that album is SO. DAMN. GOOD.

Silver and Gold is a collection of his weird Christmas songs, which are just perfect.

So, as you guys know, today was muh birfday, so Jenn and I went to Forever Young to look around. Grabbed a couple, and then grabbed one more with a Half Price Books gift card I got from my folks. It feels good having a hobby they support. I would always ask for cash, or Steam gift cards, but I would always use the cash on vape/smokes/booze or whatever, and they never seemed to care too much for that. This year, it just felt good, if that makes any sense. They knew I wasn't going to waste it on just crap. I dunno. Take that however you will.

Anyway, I picked up:

uR50RZw.jpg

• Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Yanqui U.X.O.
    • Haven't listened to it in full, yet, but what I have is absolutely amazing. I went in to this album completely blind, as I never got around to it, but now I have no excuse. Just fantastic stuff.
  • Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    • I just needed it. One of the greatest albums of all time, ever. I picked up the double LP edition that has the original Mono version as well. Not much to say, every collection needs this album.
  • John Carpenter - Anthology (Movie Themes 1974-1998)
    • BLOWN. A. WAY. Not at all what I expected, but everything I ever wanted. Sounds great, looks great. Comes with a little 7" of a couple extra songs, it's so cool, I love it.

Also, the John Carpenter one looks like this, and is one of 2000 pressed this way:

mtUYDuN.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kind of Blue was the first thing on my wishlist, but I kept putting it off and putting it off because....reasons? I'm still not sure. I think I wanted to find an original pressing at the bottom of somebody's collection that they had forgotten about and I could pick it up for a dollar and run off into the sunset with it or something. It still feels kind of wrong to pick up a sealed "retail" copy of it, but whatever, it sounds fantastic and I love it.

hyzNnVr.jpg

so we hit our local CD trader (now owned by a buddy!) and sure enough, all the classic rock they'd had from last week's haul was picked clean...but still got some gems here! 

those def jam ones are a method man album & a roots one, both i was lacking & great deals for $6.  everything else is their usual price of $3/each with the 5th one free!  man, i wish they were closer. 

• Like 1
  • Really Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Those are some awesome picks! Even better that the place is owned by someone you know!

So, this was technically a birthday pick-up, but it's been in transit since then, and then showed up 4 days early(!) It's the new live album by Ghost, and is probably the coolest looking record in my collection currently. One of my good friends tried to get me to go to a show with him a couple years ago but I wasn't into them yet and I hate myself for it.

zN3aUcd.jpg

6fxbe2e.jpg

Their next album should be dropping some time in the next few months (hopefully), and I've got some money tucked away so I can order it when the time comes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So today was a "I just got my phat tax refund" / post-Valentine's / therapeutic shopping day for my wife and I, so here goes. Actually, to note, I haven't listened to anything yet, but I want to so bad, and I don't know where to start:

I FOUND AKIRA!!!

7HbWeUi.jpg

I picked up Stranger Things vol. 1:

1KLtkGR.jpg

Got the anniversary edition of The Black Parade!

pdcKb4t.jpg

But the best, BY FAR:

jvAqzZ1.jpg

Found that last one for less than nin.com, I'm so happy. 

EDIT: THE FRAGILE IS EVERYTHING I EVER WANTED AND MORE.

Edited by Stillbored
THE FRAGILE
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus, I bought close to more than twenty records this week, and I still have some that are in the mail. I'm just going to list them. I'm counting the ones from the last major post. Tax refund is a hell of a drug...

• My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade / Living With Ghosts (With etching on side 4)
  • Stranger Things Vol. 1 (Blue/Red Splatter)
  • Akira Symphonic Suite
  • Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
  • Barry Manilow - One Voice .... I spent $3 on this so I could have the sample used by Daft Punk
  • Huey Lewis and The News - Fore!
  • Black Sabbath - Paranoid
  • Michael Jackson - Thriller (sans Billie Jean, that track has been played to death)
  • The Who - Who's Next
  • Aphex Twin - Windowlicker
  • Tycho - Awake
  • Michel Camilo - S/T
  • Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
  • The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
  • Monty Python - Instant Record Collection
  • Louis Armstrong - Louis Armstrong
  • The XX - XX
  • Ghost - Infestissumam (Translucent Blood Red)
  • Aperture Science Psychoacoustics Laboratory - Portal Original Soundtrack (White and Grey split)
  • The Flaming Lips - With A Little Help From My Fwends (Translucent neon orange w/ CD)

• mc chris - Dungeon Master of Ceremonies

• Radiohead - Kid A (12")

• Aphex Twin - Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments Pt2

• Aphex Twin - Syro

• Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album

• The Crystal Method - Vegas

Those last 6 are still on order, AND I signed up for VMP and I'm getting a legit copy of Demon Days out of it. A lot of those are used, all of the ones I ordered online were SUPER cheap (ended up getting Kid A for $11 with free shipping, mc chris is coming with a bunch of other cool shit).

I think I have a problem collection.

I'm at peace with spending this nice chunk of coin on this. In recent years I would spent more than this on new vape crap, but I don't do that anymore, so I was able to get all these PLUS put a huge chunk in savings for what I would have wasted on vape, so net gain!

Edited by Stillbored
UGH I BOUGHT MORE STUFF FOR CHEAP
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

got a few thrift store/cd trader pickups (also 2 i treated myself to after a week of hard work) on the way, but i just started logging my entire collection on the discogs app!  it's pretty handy when you have barcodes on the albums, less so for singles, heh.  

are you on there stilly (or anyone else)?  i'm irishninja, add me if so!  

• Like 1
  • Really Like 1

So a friend got me a nice little  turntable and wireless speakers for Christmas and I need to start buying some vinyl to actually play on it. I still have my original copy of Thriller and a few 45s (including "Purple Rain") from back in the day, but I'm in need of some new stuff.

I've no real record shops in close proximity to me, so any suggestions for online links to look for good used or new vinyl? Amazon is higher than I thought; actually, vinyl in general is more expensive than I anticipated. So I'm being hyper selective and putting spending limits on myself for vinyl. I've already got an unhealthy collectibles/action figure addiction I'm doing poorly at shaking. (dropped over five bills this month thanks to TRU sales and having to have that life-sized Infinity Gauntlet replica)

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
  • Really Like 1