Hondo's Bar

PS4 vs XBOX One in 2018

alive she cried

jacksonville jaguars football GIF by NFL

So, I've decided to take the plunge and join the next current generation of games consoles. I had primarily been holding off due to college commitments and the fear that a new game could Skyrim my time. But I'm graduated now and have just been paid for my first substantial freelance job. So I've put aside €500 for a new console and a few games. 

The big decision now, of course, is which one do I choose?  So, when in doubt, ask Hondo's. 

I'll give ye a list of my favourite games, and the ones I wanted to play but never got around to from last gen.

Favourites:

Skyrim

GTA series

Red Dead Redemption

Arkham Asylum Series

Assassin's Creed Series

Telltale The Walking Dead

FIFA (just let me have this one)

Rebooted Tomb Raider

Portal series

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Ghost Recon series

Rainbow Six series

L.A. Noire

Want/Wanted To Play:

Bioshock series

Fallout series

The Last of Us

Heavy Rain

Telltale (everything else)

So who gets my money?

• Like 1

PS4!

None of those are Xbox exclusives. At least The Last of Us IS a PS4 exclusive. And I think alot of us will be on for RDR2 online. Well, I know I will be. I know most of Hondo's is on PS4 now. PS4 is killing it with the exclusives too. Last of Us as mentioned above (along with anything else Naughty Dog does), SHadow of the Colossus remake, FF7 remake coming, Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn. I know there's alot more. 

In short

tumblr_ocui3xWgPz1qjhjyxo1_500.gif

Edited by Axels
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Axels, I figured there would be a strong push for PS4 off the bat, gotta wait to hear from @Jables and if miracles happen @Thrizzle for an even-sided debate.

From the research I've done, PS4 seems to be far and away ahead in the exclusives (that Spider-Man game looks amazing), but the controller is the real downside for me. I love my xbox controller so much, the PlayStation controllers are so inferior. Has anybody else made the leap from 360 to PS4? And if so, have you adapted well to the controller?

Edited by alive she cried

I have my launch PS4 and it's still working great (Fingers crossed I don't jinx that). I haven't felt a need to upgrade to a pro. That said I haven't tried the VR myself, and it isn't something that I care for. How much extra is it though? It might be worth it for the performance boosts you get for certain games. 

• Thanks 1

It was meant to submit the Nintendo switch as a serious choice because that's what I'm allll about

And have you held a PS4 controller as opposed to a PS3? Same layout but so much more comfy, isolated speaker contributes to immersion of play the same way the Wiiu gamepad did but not as clumsy.

In terms of exclusives Sony's the move, man. Last of Us, Spiderman, that one from those guys who did that other thing....

I don't think a pro's necessary for anything because my understanding is that it's a very spartan 'upgrade' and is still spacker in the ways that matter(Destiny 2 was chopped at the knees because the Pro couldn't keep up with the X1X), and buying into VR is probably still a bit dicey for my money. But you can fill your boots.

I have a Xbox and it works fine, the games are fine, but brother you know I love my switch.

I suggest also looking at the subscription services for each(you get two 'free' games a month) because that's gonna keep you engaged between big launches.

Another factor would be, how much content did you purchase digitally on 360? Because MS have been great about backward support so a lot of stuff can be redownloaded on your Xbone(along with saves).

Sorry this was way longer than expected.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

^that's mighty high praise (and i'm right there with him) but based on your almost entirely western-develop list ASC, that first party lineup would be kinda wasted on ye. 

i generally lean sony but for a long time had more 360 games last gen - they had everyone on board & for most of the time, they were the lead platform too (meaning stuff tended to load/play better there).  the generation went on long enough for sony's first party stuff to help them save the day, but a handful of titles aside, i think you were basically good with either system for the most part.

this gen is kind of a bummer - microsoft closed a lot of their studios, and after bungling the launch & walking that back, they killed kinect soon after...say what you will about it, i figured that was part of the system's identity/what separated it from being the same as the PS4.  there's a few exclusives they had early on (sunset overdrive, rare replay etc) that ill prolly jump on by the generation's end when a scorpio is cheap enough, but given that FPS's & cuphead don't seem like they'd be dealbreakers for you, i can't see why you'd not go with a base model PS4 now that it's cheaper.  literally everything on your list is there, some of it (Last of Us, etc) remade. 

• Thanks 1

But isn't the Switch just Mario, Zelda and last generations games?

Yeah, before I started this thread I was honestly 90% sure I was going with the PS4, but I just wanted to see if I missing something major that the XBOX was offering (it's the analogue positioning that throws me on the PlayStation). But it would appear not. Thanks for all the advice lads.

PS4 it is.

• Upvote 1

So I made the jump. I ordered the 1TB base PS4 with FIFA 18 and a controller, from Amazon. And then to ebay where I picked up:

Batman: Arkham Knight

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (GOTY Edition)

Mad Max

Fallout 4

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

I got all the above for €420 which I was delighted with. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

AC Black Flag is fucking amazing and the only good AC game as far as I'm concerned. 

I will say, things might get a little samey there though as Batman, Mad Max and Shadow of Mordor have almost identical styles of gameplay combat wise.

3 hours ago, The NZA said:

and some good games lV2kE.png

Hide contents

okay i bailed early on batman arkham knight cause i didn't like the driving but that might actually be cool, is mad max any good? the rest aren't really my thing, but fallout 4 is prolly a good time

zachary levi wow GIF by Rooster Teeth

Well okay then Mr. Bigshot, what would you recommend?

2 hours ago, Axels said:

AC Black Flag is fucking amazing and the only good AC game as far as I'm concerned. 

I will say, things might get a little samey there though as Batman, Mad Max and Shadow of Mordor have almost identical styles of gameplay combat wise.

That's where the hundreds and hundreds of hours of FIFA comes in, to break things up.

Image result for roll safe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Make sure to check out gameplay videos before buying a game.

Just now, alive she cried said:

Thanks for asking:

Yakuza 0

Yakuza Kiwami

NieR: Automata

UNCHARTED: The Nathan Drake Collection

Horizon Zero Dawn

Shadow of the Colossus

Dragon's Crown

Rocket League

Wipeout Omega Collection

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

Pac-Man Championship Edition 2

Borderlands: The Handsome Collection

Ratchet & Clank

inFAMOUS: Second Son

Axiom Verge

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

INSIDE / LIMBO Double Pack

Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair

Shovel Knight

Tearaway Unfolded

Helldivers

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Cheers Newt. I did check reviews and gameplay footage of all of my above purchases. I thought  I had done the research and made some good choices, but then you've got our brutish, British admin comes in and throws shade all over the place. 

From your suggestions, Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted are high up on my list, Horizon in particular. Also, you're now the second to recommend Shadow of the Colossus, and I do remember people going apeshit over that back in the day, so that's definitely added. Yakuza has always intrigued me but I know next to nothing of the series. 

It looks like the kind of game that'd be fun for two days, and then I never play it again. I don't like playing against strangers online, is there really enough in a single player mode to keep me interested? 

p.s. "It's soccer... With cars!" feels so much like when people try to sell The Big Bang Theory to me, "They read comics...You'll love it!"

3 hours ago, alive she cried said:

zachary levi wow GIF by Rooster Teeth

....oh god

please don't seriously ask me this question; i am a huge weirdo and i like things not everyone will like 

also looking at my PS4 shelf, like 3/4 of it are remakes or ports of other stuff.  that's not to say the library so far isn't great, just that i like shit again and there's no excuse for that

i'll say this though: yakuza 0 is like a very small world RPG that uses something akin to streets of rage for its engine and doesnt taken itself too seriously.  over here you can get it for a song at some places, and i'd happily find you a copy since it's region free to see if you like the series or find it a shed full of bollocks or such

TL;DR i talk shit but you can and should absolutely like what you like my man 

2 hours ago, Axels said:

He's gonna say Yakuza, Bloodborne and Dark Souls.

And he is completely right about Bloodborne. (Only cause I haven't played the other ones.)

YOU DONT KNOW MY LIFE AXELS

this is more than a fair assesment, i literally just cosigned yakuza 0 and bloodborne is fantastic, GIT GUD BAYTORS

1 hour ago, Axels said:

You gotta grab Rocket League. It's soccer... With cars!

this is good too, in my mind i put it like NBA Jam with cars cause i love the fuck out of NBA Jam despite rarely feeling like a street version of a basketball game 

1 hour ago, alive she cried said:

It looks like the kind of game that'd be fun for two days, and then I never play it again. I don't like playing against strangers online, is there really enough in a single player mode to keep me interested? 

as someone who literally has no use for playing strangers online in anything: no, i'm with you on this.  it's a cheap game that's damn fun with friends (i have a blast playing it local with newt) but if you're not gonna see yourself scheduling online games with the crew here - which i'd join & get PS+ if that was a thing - there's no point for you, honestly.  

it's not like my love of Earth Defense Force, where i adore the balls of that B level series even in single player. god, i wish this era still did demos so you could try more stuff & see if it was in your lane. 

21 hours ago, The NZA said:

i'll say this though: yakuza 0 is like a very small world RPG that uses something akin to streets of rage for its engine and doesnt taken itself too seriously.

You had me at Streets of Rage, I'm in. I saw it on eBay for €30, so I'll pick that up in next batch of purchases.  

it's a cheap game that's damn fun with friends (i have a blast playing it local with newt) but if you're not gonna see yourself scheduling online games with the crew here - which i'd join & get PS+ if that was a thing - there's no point for you, honestly.  

I can certainly see the appeal of playing with youse guys online. Hmmm

it's not like my love of Earth Defense Force, where i adore the balls of that B level series even in single player. god, i wish this era still did demos so you could try more stuff & see if it was in your lane. 

Really? They don't do demos. I remember downloading several demos on the 360, is that not a thing this generation?