Hondo's Bar

Marvel's "Fresh Start"

The NZA

MARVEL Getting a 'Fresh Start' In May 2018 in Line-Wide Change

[IMG]

[IMG]

Marvel Comics will be kicking off a relaunch of almost their entire superhero comic book line this May, with a new Avengers series by writer Jason Aaron and artist Ed McGuinness acting as the flagship title.

Check out the cover to Avengers #1 and some interior pages by clicking through the slideshow gallery below.

Marvel executive editor Tom Brevoort wants the Avengers -- and the rest of Marvel’s new comics -- to get off to a fresh start, and nothing does that better than a new #1. This means that the return to legacy numbering done as part of last year’s Marvel Legacy relaunch will be going away. Brevoort did express an interest in keeping the legacy numbering around in subordinate fashion for select titles, but ultimately he favors keeping things as clear and unconfusing as possible for readers.

The new Avengers series will ship 18 times a year and be the single Avengers title going forward. For years Marvel has had multiple Avengers books that made up a sizable chunk of their publishing line -- New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Secret Avengers, etc. -- so this comes as a big change. It won’t come as a surprise to current readers of the Avengers because January’s Avengers #675 saw all Avengers monthly books merge into one weekly Avengers series for a story called “No Surrender.”

That story tears the Avengers down to their foundation and results in a dearth of Avengers, which sets the stage for the new team you see on the cover to the upcoming Avengers #1. The lineup includes the “Big Three” of the Avengers -- Thor Odinson, Steve Rogers, and Tony Stark -- united once more for the first time in years. In addition to the Big Three, the rest of the roster features Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes), Hulk (Jennifer Walters) and Doctor Strange, who will only be on the team for a limited time in a “rotating slot.”

The series will borrow the storytelling format of Aaron’s run on Thor that bounces back and forth in time to tell stories about the character in different eras. For the Avengers, this means shifting between the present day Avengers and the prehistoric Avengers from 1,000,000 B.C. that were introduced by Aaron in last year’s Marvel Legacy #1. The threat that ties these two stories together is the Dark Celestials, which are 2000-foot tall space gods. (Loki was also a part of the story, so expect him to be up to no good, as usual.)

i'm in for an Aaron avengers book, that dude has been killing it for years on Thor - and the 2nd book is looking to be Venom

venom2018001-cov-1085389.jpeg

This May, Marvel Comics will launch Venom #1 from Donny Cates (Doctor Strange, Thanos) and Ryan Stegman (Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows, Uncanny Avengers). Eddie Brock has recently been protecting the streets of New York City, but this new series sees Venom tasked with taking on a 1000-year-old primordial threat.

“It's unlike any foe Eddie, or the Symbiote has ever faced,” Stegman tells ComicBook.com of this emerging evil. “It's something that's incredibly old, and unbelievably powerful with ties to not only the symbiote's dark past but the Marvel Universe itself. This is a horror story thousands of years in the making."

hoping the creative team announcements stay strong (and the FF return soon enough), just bummed we're already ditching the classic renumbering, ugh 

you say that, but if Hickman comes back....

also rumors going around about this one:

Nrama: Al, After Inhumans: Judgment Day, your solicited Marvel work is down to Avengers' "No Surrender" arc. What’s in the works for you next?

Ewing: I have two Marvel series currently at various stages of completion. In their own ways, they're both personal big things for me. One of them is probably the furthest I've gone in terms of formal experimentation - it was going to be just a fun thing, but then it spiraled out of control into this deeply creatively and mentally challenging project. Which makes it sound less fun - but for the reader, I can promise that it'll be incredible fun. You'll know what I mean when it gets announced. It's so fun.

The other thing is... well, it's big. In terms of the property - it's one of the bigger ones - and in terms of what I want to do with it, the level of ambition... I'm pushing this one very hard, and in a different direction from what I usually do. See... when I made my start in UK comics, I started as a horror writer. Not many people know that. The first few stories I was ever paid to tell were horror stories - very dark and very creepy. But I don't think I've ever really done a long-form horror/suspense book for Marvel.

Not until now.

It's going to be big. And - no false modesty here - it's going to be very, very good. We've got an incredibly talented artist putting their all into it, and we've got me writing a character I've loved since my childhood - and not letting that love stop me.

This is going to be the book of 2018. Don't sleep on it

not sure if Vision rubbed off on them, but a horror themed Hulk book could be interesting! 

• 2 weeks later...

some big announcements the last few days:

marvel-fresh-start-thor.jpg?q=35&w=864&h

Jason Aaron (yay!) & Mike Del Mundo are on the new Thor book

Ta-Nahesi Coates Why I'm writing Captain America

and today's one:

other books & info trickled out

CAPTAIN AMERICA #1
"WINTER IN AMERICA"

For over seventy years, he has stood in stalwart defense of our country and its people.

But in the aftermath of Hydra's takeover of the nation, Captain America is a figure of controversy, carrying a tarnished shield.

And a new enemy is rising!

Who are the Power Elite? And how do they intend to co-opt and corrupt the symbol that is Captain America?

On Sale 7/4
WRITERS
Ta-Nehisi Coates

PENCILS
Leinil Yu
COVER
Alex Ross

Immortal Hulk #1 (2018)
IMMORTAL HULK #1
HORROR HAS A NAME.

You'd never notice the man. He doesn't like to be noticed. He's quiet. Calm. Never complains. Why, you can walk up and shoot him in the head... and all he'll do is die.

Until night falls. And someone else gets up again.

The name is Banner.

The horror is THE IMMORTAL HULK.

On Sale 6/6
WRITERS
Al Ewing

PENCILS
Joe Bennett
COVER
Alex Ross

Doctor Strange #1 (2018)
DOCTOR STRANGE #1

The Eye of Agamotto is closed! Doctor Stephen Strange has lost his connection to the Earth's arcane power, and he can't wait to recover while nightmares press against the seams of our reality. Tony Stark offers a 21st-century solution: when astral travel fails, try astronautical travel. Enter Doctor Strange: Space-Explorer Supreme! New spells, allies and enemies--new and old--await Strange beyond the stars, along with corners and secrets of the Marvel Universe, seen here for the first time! Space is endless, but time is short. After years of threats, Stephen's bill for magic-use is coming due--who will come to collect?!

On Sale 6/6
WRITERS
Mark Waid

PENCILS
Jesús Saiz
COVER
Jesús Saiz

Ant-Man and The Wasp #1 (2018)
ANT-MAN AND THE WASP #1 AND #2 (OF 5)

Wasp was just trying to help Ant-Man get home to Earth to see his daughter... but a little problem got in the way. Very little. Subatomic, in fact, as Scott Lang was lost in the vast spaces between atoms! Now, Nadia is his only hope of rescue... if only he would listen long enough for her to save them! From master storyteller Mark Waid (CAPTAIN AMERICA, CHAMPIONS) and Marvel Young Gun artist Javier Garron (SECRET WARRIORS, STAR-LORD) comes a story of a big journey getting smaller all the time!

#1 On Sale 6/6
#2 On Sale 6/20
WRITERS
Mark Waid

PENCILS
Javier Garron
COVER
David Nakayama

Tony Stark: Iron Man #1 (2018)
TONY STARK: IRON MAN #1

From the cusp of tomorrow's dreams to the forefront of imagination, one man always soars on the cutting edge of adventure!

You know his name.

Tony Stark is Iron Man.

And Iron Man... is an idea.

Always changing. Always evolving. An idea without limit!

Take wing with DAN SLOTT (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN) and Valerio Schiti (GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY) as they propel the ultimate Self-Made Hero to new heights of inventiveness!

Tony Stark is Iron Man. The future is now.

Strap in!

On Sale 6/20
WRITERS
Dan Slott

PENCILS
Valerio Schiti
COVER
Alexander Lozano

LIFE OF CAPTAIN MARVEL #1
CAPTAIN MARVEL - THE HOMECOMING!

Carol Danvers was just a girl from the Boston suburbs who loved science and the Red Sox until a chance encounter with a Kree hero gave her incredible super powers. Now, she's a leader in the Avengers and the commander of Alpha Flight. But what if there was more to the story? When crippling anxiety attacks put her on the sidelines in the middle of a fight, Carol finds herself reliving memories of a life she thought was far behind her. You can't outrun where you're from - and sometimes, you HAVE to go home again. But there are skeletons in Captain Marvel's closet - and what she discovers will change her entire world. Written by bestselling author Margaret Stohl and drawn by fan-favorite comics veteran Carlos Pacheco, this is the true origin of Captain Marvel.

On Sale 7/4
WRITERS
Margaret Stohl

PENCILS
Carlos Pacheco
COVER
Julian Tedesco