Hondo's Bar

The Eternals

In April, Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige mentioned that he was “actively beginning to have creative discussions about” the Eternals, a comic that Jack Kirby created in the ‘70s. At the time, in an uncharacteristically judgmental aside for The A.V. Club, we noted that it seemed odd for Marvel to pursue an Eternals movie when even dedicated comic book nerds don’t really care about them (they’re like a less important version of the Inhumans), but now it looks like Marvel is really serious about this Eternals business. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Marvel Studios has hired writers Matthew and Ryan Firpo to put together a script for Eternals, which THR says will involve “Game Of Thrones-style cosmic powerplays.”

The basic concept of the Eternals is that the Celestials—an ancient race of enormous space people, a few of which have been glimpsed in the MCU—created two super-powered off-shoots of humanity called the Eternals, who are nearly immortal, and the Deviants, who are into freakier stuff than the average off-shoot of humanity. The exist in secret throughout history, choosing not to get involved in humanity’s business for whatever reason, and Marvel presumably hopes that Eternals will give it a chance to tell some weird, Kirby-inspired cosmic stories without necessarily needing to involve the Guardians Of The Galaxy or Thanos (though that purple bastard’s father was an Eternal).

Full Kirby or bust.

35371924152_b725a0baea_z.jpg&f=1

eternals3_2-3.jpg

jack-kirby-eternals-splash-pages-1.jpg

• Really Like 1

• 1 year later...

This is going to make or break their "We can make anything a hit" claim.  It's far more obscure than even Inhumans was and lacks the fun anarchic spirit of Guardians of the Galaxy, it doesn't even have the simple down-to-Earth conceptual charm of Shang Chi.  I wish them luck here, they'll need it.

So no Keanu, then? *sigh*  

6 hours ago, alive she cried said:

According to Feige they're going full Kirby. I'll be honest though, I know next to nothing about them.

Ditto. Not sure what he meant by "full Kirby" either, but I'm guessing he meant something like what Taika W. did in Ragnarok, just with everything and not one section of the film.

7 hours ago, Iambaytor said:

This is going to make or break their "We can make anything a hit" claim.  It's far more obscure than even Inhumans was and lacks the fun anarchic spirit of Guardians of the Galaxy, it doesn't even have the simple down-to-Earth conceptual charm of Shang Chi.  I wish them luck here, they'll need it.

I think you're right. Their section of the SDCC panel seemed the most awkward. Angelina Jolie is gonna "train really hard" though, so there's that.

I still feel cheated out of a kickass Inhumans movie. Feige was never collaborative with the ABC Marvel shows. Maybe because of the Whedon connection, or maybe because the MCU is his football and he didn't want the other kids playing with it when he wasn't there. I don't know. But he is sure as shit all about these Disney+ shows and integrating them into the MCU. Maybe with the multiverse stuff happening Black Bolt and crew will get a second chance in Phase 5 or even show up in the F4 film. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Am I the only one who's just kind of "eh" about this one? No clip or trailer has grabbed me in any way. And I've never read the comics so I have nothing but an interesting cast and the MCUness to go on. Black Widow was the first MCU movie since Thor I didn't see in the cinema, saw Shang Chi (had a lot of fun with that) but this is definitely looking like wait for Disney + for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...