Hondo's Bar

Fallout 76

Keth

• 4 months later...

Jesus Christ, [everyone in the gaming community and not just limited to] you guys. This is exactly what people wanted Hello Games to say when No Man's Sky was released. Like, people said this letter verbatim would have made everything about No Man's Sky's release okay.

So then when Bethesda does just that, everyone gets pissy?

Also, they're letting everyone know before a public beta. What? Where's the outrage?

• Upvote 1

bethesda's released stuff that (especially on console ports) felt buggy to the point of unfinished before, though

public beta is of course fine, but final product?  i mean - you know a lot more about this end than i do, but why did no man's sky release in the state it was anyway?  ive read they fixed/added so much, but so much of the hype/fanbase was long gone by then.  

i absolutely get (and sympathize) if this is the devs trying to get in front of shitty publishers pushing them to drop it before black friday, i just don't know how, as a consumer, anyone should be excited about it 

21 minutes ago, The NZA said:

but why did no man's sky release in the state it was anyway? 

Lotsa reasons, but mainly due to Sony it seems. It was never meant to be the huge AAA title - Hello Games is a small indie outfit, but Sony basically hyped it all to hell. From what I've read, Sony basically took over publishing and marketing once the hype started and just ran with it.

21 minutes ago, The NZA said:

if this is the devs trying to get in front of shitty publishers pushing them to drop it before black friday

Also, that's not really an issue with these guys - seeing as it's being published by Bethesda Softworks. I mean, I can understand some pushback, but they're still under the same parent company.

I mean, sure it doesn't excuse releasing a buggy product, but historically they suck at that. At the very least they're saying "Look, historically we suck at this because we get tunnel vision and release it when we think it's done."....it almost seems like the point of the public beta is to try to catch a bunch of this stuff before the game fully drops. This is the first time they're really going for "Fallout Online" (also, the bitching I've heard about this is ridiculous. People have wanted a "Fallout Online" since the original fucking Fallout, and when they get it it's "we never wanted this!"...but I digress) so of course there are going to be issues. ESO wasn't a walk in the park at first (if ever) either.

Hell, the practically come out and say "we're trying something that we've never tried before, so stick with it because it could be kinda cool in the end". I'm not saying people have to be excited, or that people even have to accept what they're saying. In order to break out of the standard mold that gaming has become, we need companies to try things that they haven't really tried before (not necessarily saying things that haven't been done before....Bethesda might have a better way of doing an online post-apocalyptic survival shooter RPG....thing....than other companies that have tried it).

Again - should they be releasing a buggy product? No. Are they saying "it's going to be buggy and fuck you," like most people seem to be jumping to? Also no. I mean, they outright say "we are going to be working on this continually after release in an attempt to make it a better experience and to fix whatever bugs may crop up". 

Also, on a much much smaller scale: I can't tell you how many times I've written code that looks good to me, and performs well that has a huge showstopping bug that I never even considered. Scale that to a huge online game with A LOT of coders and historically no time to playtest (like, "game testers" barely scratch the surface. QA is basically non-existent when compared to all the random-ass things that could go wrong), and yeah...I sympathize greatly with them. Especially since they've penned this letter.

Edit: I mean shit, I have a programming error as the latest post in the hollabox at this very moment.

Edited by Stilly
  • Like 1

yeah, getting out in front of it/owning and committing to improving things is definitely better than ive seen from even respectable companies like obsidian sometimes, nevermind japanese ones (tecmo leaving fatal frame 4 in the wind comes to mind)

50 minutes ago, Stilly said:

(also, the bitching I've heard about this is ridiculous. People have wanted a "Fallout Online" since the original fucking Fallout, and when they get it it's "we never wanted this!"...but I digress)

this i think can be chalked up to our current place where rather than past boogeymen trends (waggle, mobile, etc) the current worries seem to be a) games as a service and then b) the slow eradication of single-player story modes, as seen in uh, some shooters and fighting games, both genres i wasn't sure people still went to for those things (with a few notable exceptions).

hell, even the next game in my beloved yakuza series is gonna be online, and while it's disappointing, the main studio is finally trying out other games they've wanted to do forever now, so that's cool.  honestly, i play more games than most and even i still can't keep up with all the titles catering to my weird tastes. 

And the industry will possibly snap back at some point. "Games as a service" will probably wane in popularity as new trends come and go. The idea of having everything interconnected is the big thing that everyone wants to try to shoehorn into their games, and eventually we'll make it full circle - at least until the next trend comes and goes.

Remember all the MMOs that popped up when WoW hit it big? Sure we're currently moving towards less "MMO" and more of a "passively online" thing, but things come and go. Just because we're in a single-player lull, doesn't mean we always will be - it probably doesn't help that the "shared experience" games keep moving tons of units, though.

Eh.

On 10/23/2018 at 2:28 PM, Stilly said:

Jesus Christ, [everyone in the gaming community and not just limited to] you guys. This is exactly what people wanted Hello Games to say when No Man's Sky was released. Like, people said this letter verbatim would have made everything about No Man's Sky's release okay.

So then when Bethesda does just that, everyone gets pissy?

Also, they're letting everyone know before a public beta. What? Where's the outrage?

As an aside, I'm that outlier that enjoyed the OG No Man's Sky. Played the fuck out of it until it got too repetitive(valid and consistent complaint with every sandbox game ever made), have booted it since all the improvements and just not enjoying it as much.

Re the main topic, I never got any more interested in this, not even with a Power Helmet thrown in.

58 minutes ago, Jables said:

I'm that outlier that enjoyed the OG No Man's Sky.

I didn't really understand the hate that went with it - I enjoyed the fuck out of it. I got it to run on my potato of a computer, and I was so happy when I got it running (no joke, my compy is about 3-5 years below the minimum specs, but I'm a poorish student).

I keep seeing all these new patches rolling out for it, and they look amazing, but I'm going to wait until I have a decentish PC to run it - and Fallout 4 and 76, and Doom/Doom Eternal, and this and that and so on and so on and on and on and on

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...