Hondo's Bar

Octopath Traveler

The NZA

Octopath_Traveler.jpg

square's new JRPG for switch is reviewing really well - I'm still sitting on the demo, but excited to check it out soon. I'd been less interested in the genre but I'd read it's something of a classic RPG with modern sensibilities, as far as being able to switch out storylines & such 

anyone given it a go? @Axels perhaps?!

• Really Like 1

Funny you should mention it

It's really good! I'm maybe 3 hours into it. The story structure is weird. I dunno how I feel about the stories themselves, but the way you actually travel to other towns to meet your party members is a neat feature. There is a lot of Bravely Default in the DNA here too with building attacks then unleashing a stronger attack when you have enough moves built up. This is classic JRPG stuff though and I love when one of these comes out and shows how really timeless the genre is. It just takes a few tweaks to make things feel fresh. Digging the music too. It's got one of those soundtracks that immerses you in the different areas to make them feel unique. 

Not to mention, it looks fucking beautiful.

DiZsbDIVQAALg4R.jpg:large

• Like 1
  • Really Like 1

Combat's cool. Standard JRPG fare, with FF jobs. I started on the hunter chick that acts kinda like Gau from FF6. You can catch enemies, then use them as weapons. Just picked up a standard White Mage and a Thief as well. I haven't gotten far enough to see what the variation on limit breaks are. I'm sure there will be more to unlock as I go though. This is also a great pick up and play game that benefits from the portability of the Switch, something I just don't utilize that often. 

So far I'd say the weakest part is the voice acting and writing. Just gets really tropey and cringey at moments. Give that newest Demo a go! You keep the progress saved there and it carries over to the final game. It's literally the first hour or so of the game. 

:lush: okay yeah, i grabbed the prologue demo & have about an hour into it so far..this game looks & sounds great, and i'm really enjoying the thief's quest so far.

kicking myself for not jumping at a dude on another forum posting it a few days back for $40 now.  im already going through my collection to see what i can trade at gamestop towards that spidey PS4 bundle, now i gotta add this to the mix!