Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3

so, first this happened earlier today 

James Gunn's past tweets (from 7+ years ago) include rape and paedophilic jokes

[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]

SmtGY.png

...phew, that last one was really...something. he issued an apology & took them/his blog down, but the damage was done: he's off Guardians 3 

sucks, but dude was in his 40's at this point...i mean, given his background/work, a lot of the shocky ones don't strike me as surprising, but a few are pretty gross & i don't think a lot of studios would be down at this point, certainly not disney.

Oh James, no. Well that sucks. I mean, the minute you’re hired by Disney, how do you not scour your social media for this shit and delete? He’s made two movies in the time it took someone to dig this up. He never should’ve said this garbage but I’m just always curious why people leave this stuff up. 

23 minutes ago, Donatella said:

Oh James, no. Well that sucks. I mean, the minute you’re hired by Disney, how do you not scour your social media for this shit and delete? He’s made two movies in the time it took someone to dig this up. He never should’ve said this garbage but I’m just always curious why people leave this stuff up. 

exactly...sucks harder knowing this was alt-right baffoon mike cernovich, the asshat behind the pizzagate shit from a while back - dude sat on this till SDCC for maximum exposure on his latest hollywood pedo conspiracy bullshit. trump trolls (and angry star wars fans he called toxic recently) have been looking for just such an opening, so it's that much more surprising he'd left this stuff up...i understand he apologized for some of it in the past so maybe he thought he was in the clear?

*shrug* I'm pretty sure there's worse than this on this very site if we were to go back far enough.  I get it but his Twitter account has been there the whole time, Disney could've, probably should've looked into it.  Edgelord humor was in for a while and pretty much everyone who indulged said some stuff they'd have a hard time explaining in the cold sober light of 2018.  I mean would you be able to track down every shitpost you have on this site, I admit I'm a special case since I was 16 when I started here but it's quite an undertaking.

• Upvote 1

Oh god. A couple times I thought it would be fun to go back and read some early Hondos stuff. Yeah... not so fun. I try not to do that anymore because you wanna know and love people as they are now. The early aughts were problematic for a lot of you. I found my Livejournal from around that time as well and was HORRIFIED. I wouldn’t hire that bitch. But I was 19. Like Nick said, James was in his 40s here. I dunno. That seems like needlessly gross stuff just to get a laugh. 

This isn't the first time he's done this either though right? I remember back before Guardians 1 people were bringing up some tweets of "who would you rather fuck". I dont remember exactly, and I can't find it since this shitstorm is all over google now. But he was called out for it before. I'm not super surprised on this.

Honestly though? I'd like to see a different spin on GotG. Give it to Taika.

Edited by Axels
Not surprised actually what i meant
  • Upvote 1

https://tenor.com/xaQK.gif

Damn, body isn't even cold and y'all screaming "Give it to Taika!" Ten year old tweets to seven followers aside, some of those tweets are legit messed up. Fuuuuh! I'm just so bummed about this. I literally follow one celebrity on IG, and it's James Gunn. This is a tough one.  But @The NZA --don't front. You know you laughed at that one about The Giving Tree. 

2 hours ago, Donatella said:

Oh god. A couple times I thought it would be fun to go back and read some early Hondos stuff. Yeah... not so fun. I try not to do that anymore because you wanna know and love people as they are now. The early aughts were problematic for a lot of you. I found my Livejournal from around that time as well and was HORRIFIED. I wouldn’t hire that bitch. But I was 19. Like Nick said, James was in his 40s here. I dunno. That seems like needlessly gross stuff just to get a laugh.

In all fairness, the majority of the first ten years of this site was needlessly gross stuff meant to get a laugh. 

2 hours ago, Iambaytor said:

*shrug* I'm pretty sure there's worse than this on this very site if we were to go back far enough.  I get it but his Twitter account has been there the whole time, Disney could've, probably should've looked into it.  Edgelord humor was in for a while and pretty much everyone who indulged said some stuff they'd have a hard time explaining in the cold sober light of 2018.  I mean would you be able to track down every shitpost you have on this site, I admit I'm a special case since I was 16 when I started here but it's quite an undertaking.

Amen. However, the sheer number of Gunn's tweets mentioning "three-year-olds" is just disturbing even for "Edgelord humor."

However, this is a decade ago, people change, humor changes. Just ask Eddie Murphy. Tweeting a quote from his two most famous comedy specials, Delirious & Raw, would get you fired today. But they made him a famous, multi-millionaire back in the day.

I mean, I still have big reservations about how people are seemingly losing entire careers in the court of public opinion, now to go back and search social media posts from a decade ago after the fact sets a scary precedent. Ain't nobody perfect. Ain't nobody never said/written/posted some fucked up shit--regardless of age. It's what humans do--we fuck up. There's a big difference between fucking up and being a fuck up. And I also still want my GotG v3 by Gunn, but just keep kids off the set.

*re-reads list of tweets*

*sigh*

Damnit. Fine. Give GotG v3 to the fucking Kiwi.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
I'm rusty at posting gifs on message boards. I gif up.
  • Upvote 2

I can understand why Disney felt they had to get rid of him, but do people actually think that he's a bad person now? Comparing him to the piece of shit that outed him? Come on, he made some extremely poor taste jokes. If that's all you have to do to be labelled a terrible person we're all fucked.

On 7/20/2018 at 5:20 PM, Axels said:

This isn't the first time he's done this either though right? I remember back before Guardians 1 people were bringing up some tweets of "who would you rather fuck". I dont remember exactly, and I can't find it since this shitstorm is all over google now. But he was called out for it before. I'm not super surprised on this.

The tweets were done before that, he's kept his nose clean since then and apologized about his past shitiness a handful of times.

And the "he was in his 40s" argument is so disingenuous.  Again, applying the metric of Hondos in the past a lot of people said shit in their 30s that I would never consider appropriate to say to or about another human being, especially in public. 

Amen. However, the sheer number of Gunn's tweets mentioning "three-year-olds" is just disturbing even for "Edgelord humor."

You mean one?  1 tweet?  The one that's not even a pedophile joke and only seems like one because it's on the wall that Mike Czernovich made to make it seem like James Gunn is a pedophile?  Literally every tweet that has a section outlining something upsetting in a red box isn't about pedophilia.  5 of those tweets are pedophile jokes and they're all pretty tame by 2009-2011 Standards.  People are now trying to do the same thing to Sarah Silverman and Michael Ian Black pulling up tweets from the same era with the same subject matter (their tweets are far more crass than Gunn's) and God help them if they get around to Anthony Jeselnick, Jimmy Carr, or Lisa Lampinelli (who, unlike Gunn, are still making these type of jokes as they literally built a career around it.) 

His use of a transphobic slur is definitely problematic but hardly uncommon for the era (I could summon up relevant threads from this very site if folks wanna doubt it.)  He also seems to have done a lot of his shit talking "in character", you remember that problematic trend of saying just awful bigoted shit but doing a voice to signify that this isn't your words but the words of some person you'd made up for demonstrative purposes?  It's a shit comedic bit and I'm glad it's gone away for the most part but it was socially acceptable at the time.    There's nothing about these tweets that leads me to believe he's a pedophile, just that he was a jerk who told crass, unfunny jokes.  Which he admitted to before he signed on for the first movie, don't even try to believe Disney didn't know about every single one of those tweets when they hired him. Besides, this whole edgy joke schtick was clearly him trying to ape his mentor Lloyd Kaufman, the man still tells jokes like that and is celebrated by it in much the way a lot of comedians problematically try to be the next Don Rickles.  I'm going to guess the reason he left the tweets up is because he thought it smarter to own up to who he had been than to try and hide it like a coward, but apparently that's a bad move.  By all accounts he quit doing that shit and grew as a person, his public output and the things he's written bear out that he's not that person any longer.  Is Disney within their rights to fire him?  Of course, but they knew about all this and didn't care until it affected their bottom line.  You guys should be concerned because some alt-right troll just affected the decision of a multi-billion dollar corporation because a person who spoke out against the alt-right wasn't always as enlightened as he is now.  This is a very dangerous precedent.  Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go edit every single post I ever made in this place because I know who I used to be and I'm not going to allow to anyone to weaponize my past ignorance against me

While I do agree that Disney did jump the gun (heh) on his firing, I don't get this crazy staunch defense of this guy. Had this been even a marginally disliked person like Zach Snyder or something y'all would be like "nah, fuck 'im." Writing 5 page dissertations and shit is a bit much for a dude that may or may not be an actual pedophile.

On 7/21/2018 at 8:31 AM, alive she cried said:

I can understand why Disney felt they had to get rid of him, but do people actually think that he's a bad person now? Comparing him to the piece of shit that outed him? Come on, he made some extremely poor taste jokes. If that's all you have to do to be labelled a terrible person we're all fucked.

i don't think anyone's arguing he's nearly as bad as, say, mike czernovich (sp, fuck him), who actually raped someone, no.  he was crass and careless and fell to a person/side acting in poor faith & actively wants "scalps" after watching roseanne fall for continually showing how horrible a person she's been for decades now. 

1 hour ago, Iambaytor said:

And the "he was in his 40s" argument is so disingenuous.  Again, applying the metric of Hondos in the past a lot of people said shit in their 30s that I would never consider appropriate to say to or about another human being, especially in public.

You guys should be concerned because some alt-right troll just affected the decision of a multi-billion dollar corporation because a person who spoke out against the alt-right wasn't always as enlightened as he is now.  This is a very dangerous precedent.  Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go edit every single post I ever made in this place because I know who I used to be and I'm not going to allow to anyone to weaponize my past ignorance against me

to the former: yes, of course some of us (i know myself for certain) said dumb shit here in my 30's, and it's very much a line drawn in the sand - you've gotta admit, we can agree that edgy shit (like the voice saying outrageously awful things bit that you cited) were common for an era, but people are always gonna get wary at arguments leaning too much towards moral relativism as a rationality for worse practices.  it's messy here cause what's basically being said is "he shoulda known better by his 40's", when you're absolutely right to point at his troma background as showing this to have been his bread & butter, nevermind his film history pre guardians as well. 

aside: this feels like an odd thing to really get into, coming from an era where dead baby jokes were all the rave at one point 

and the last paragraph: man, yes.  mike said he'd do just this, and used the shitty platform he continues to grow/be allowed to do this and it's only looking to continue.  they tried it on kimmel and it failed but god knows they're eager with silverman and others you mentioned.  

and i used to be very much against editing old shit of mine, because as shitty as some things were, i figured i needed to face that sometimes in order to grow, but...earlier this year when i made my twitter public again, i combed through it for the few lame race jokes i'd had from like '12 or whenever and wiped them.  i can see the temptation here too, especially as i've taken some measures to lock this place down in the last few years - as i do more counter-nazi protests & such, i figure it's entirely possible i get doxxed and i'd rather not bring more trouble here, for one. 

48 minutes ago, Da Cap'n 2099 said:

While I do agree that Disney did jump the gun (heh) on his firing, I don't get this crazy staunch defense of this guy. Had this been even a marginally disliked person like Zach Snyder or something y'all would be like "nah, fuck 'im." Writing 5 page dissertations and shit is a bit much for a dude that may or may not be an actual pedophile.

i think ryan was mostly harping on the troubling precedent this has - the far-right is openly celebrating this shit and announcing its next targets.  

and i don't know gunn on any level, but are you really gathering from his jokes that he may have actually been a pedophile...?   because that's literally what this alt-right campaign set out to do, and i'm all for calling a spade a spade but i can't see that from the crass jokes.  

I mean, I've probably said the worst stuff on Hondos (and I'm sure NO ONE will argue with me on this), but I've never, NEVER made "jokes" like that before. Some of those tweets are a little too gross, man. 

And, yeah, fuck that alt-right piece of shit, but Gunn fucked up (which no one here is debating). Still, how quick folks on here have come to his defense is a little concerning. Like I said, had it been someone else less liked, I think it would have been different. Why can't we wait til more info comes out before jumpin in front for the bullet for this guy?

And I'm absolutely not trying to advocate for moral relativism here.  If he'd posted those jokes last year I'd be calling him out too.  He should've deleted them, he should've apologized for them (assuming he remembered them, I certainly don't have total recall of every shitty thing I said over the years), but when people show that they've changed and their crime was relatively victimless (I know, people have triggers and off-color jokes have victims in the abstract, but let they who are without sin cast the first stone there) I think a stern "you were a shit, don't do it again" is acceptable.

Edited by Iambaytor

i mean, his camp is gross out/extreme humor, from what I've seen. it just strikes me as weird to imagine that means he's down with whatever he joked about, i guess

#metoo is about giving victims the benefit of the doubt. but he's not bryan singer and there's no actual allegations from anyone but a known pedophille conspiracist who literally speaks on weaponizing this effort while having campaigned for roy moore.

i honestly don't think I'm showing any favoritism here: if this was snyder I'd still say the jokes were crass & he should apologize but I'd not call/allege him of sexual assault at least until an actual claim was made 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Da Cap'n 2099 said:

I mean, I've probably said the worst stuff on Hondos (and I'm sure NO ONE will argue with me on this), but I've never, NEVER made "jokes" like that before. Some of those tweets are a little too gross, man. 

And, yeah, fuck that alt-right piece of shit, but Gunn fucked up (which no one here is debating). Still, how quick folks on here have come to his defense is a little concerning. Like I said, had it been someone else less liked, I think it would have been different. Why can't we wait til more info comes out before jumpin in front for the bullet for this guy?

I can't say for sure if you specifically said anything but you can find plenty of pedophile jokes in the old Grassy Knoll vs. Hondos thread.  Similarly there are a few dirty joke threads floating around with far worse than any of Gunn's tweets.  

As for acceptance out in the world of pedophile jokes?  Watch the movie The Aristocrats sometime, or the stand-up of any of the comedians I mentioned, or look at those Michael Ian Black tweets.  It's easy to look at them now and say "that's too far" but none of us did back then and that makes us as culpable as Gunn and anyone else.

I'm not saying Gunn's some straight-edge hero but the only thing we have evidence of is that he had a shitty sense of humor 7 years ago.  When a victim pops up I'll believe them but so far it's just a conservative firebrand rapist trying to depower someone who spoke out against him.

• Upvote 1

https://twitter.com/ashleylynch/status/102109905641890611

Now they're going after Michael Ian Black and Patton Oswald (the NAMBLA tweet was a joke about how the character limit makes it look like you're saying something you're not, it's taken waaay out of context).  Don't let these fuckheads control the narrative.

Also, uncomfirmed but I'm hearing that some of these tweets were pulled from the internet wayback machine, meaning that James Gunn may have indeed deleted them in the past.  So I hope everyone here has always been a shining paragon of virtue because apparently if you have done anything even remotely bad they will find it and they will use it.

Edited by Iambaytor
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

So do we think Disney may actually reverse their decision on this if the backlash gets big enough? I can see an "after further consideration" type thing coming down. Or if James even accepts the job back if that were to happen.  

Disney doesn't generally take requests, as much as I'd like them to reverse their decision I don't see it happening because them taking it back can be exploited as well ("You took James Gunn back, why not Roseanne?")  And yeah, I don't know if Gunn would take it back at this point even though this series was very personal to him and I have no idea how they're going to cap it without his involvement, hopefully the script's done and whoever comes in sticks to it.