Hondo's Bar

Castle Rock

Oooh yes! I was gonna start a thread but wanted to get further in. First ep is solid, but slow. I dont have the King knowledge some might, but it's supposed to be chock full of references. Hope it isn't he waste of time Lost was, but so far it's promising!

I just finished the first episode as well. Nice and creepy. If it's full of references, then I don't see any. I mean, besides the obvious one of the setting. I'd have to ask Ryan. He's got more King knowledge than me. I hope the creep factor continues. I don't think it will end up like Lost. King is generally pretty good about giving explanations, at least in his novels.

I pretty much grew up on King. My family had one of those stupidly large King collections and i used to spend my days sometimes going through a book with a dictionary next to me as a kid just trying to read as much of him as I could. 

That being said, I'm super biased but I love it. On the opposite side is my GF who's not as much of a fan (due to lack of exposure, not dislike) and she's really been loving this so far as well. 

I was worried it would only be for the fans but it's not at all. I also like that they announced that this will be an anthology series. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, FireDownBelow said:

Is anyone else watching this currently? I'm caught up. I am equal parts irritated and intrigued.

Ugh yes! The main thing keeping me going is its anthology format. I'm really enjoying it, but these cliffhangers aren't formatted for a weekly show. Release the whole thing at once if you are gonna do that every episode.

• 4 weeks later...

caught up! so...

okay so he's not the devil, it just seems like anyone in the wrong timeline is an anomaly and causes destruction just by being there - we saw that from both examples 

only bit i can't explain is why dude acted like he was possessed by Ruths ex husband in that one ep

Me for this entire damn season:

giphy.gif

This is such a bizarre show for me. Usually when something confuses me or leaves unanswered questions (e.g. LOST), I hate it. By the finale here I really had no idea what to think about certain storylines but I still enjoyed the entire ride.

I hate open-ended "it's open to audience interpretation" type endings. I think it's because I went to film school, took multiple screenwriting courses and was always told that open endings are second only to "it was all a dream" endings in being unacceptable, lazy writing conventions. So yeah, I would have much preferred answers and a better conclusion, BUT, I still enjoyed watching this. The characters and story were cool, the King universe was cool (if underutilized), and  it had a few actors I really enjoy. I didn't mind the lazy writing as much this time around.

I think this show, like the movie "It," suffered a bit when they made Bill Skarsgard go from silent/creepy to having any sort of exposition or lengthy dialogue. He's scary as hell to look at, but my man isn't a great actor. And he sounds like a teenager so...

Spoiler

...it was hard to buy him as this older, married, professional Alzheimer's treatment-making guy in the alternate timeline. For being as big and imposing as he is, his face and voice are so childlike. 

So yeah, I'd probably still watch more seasons of this if we get any. But I hope future stories are tighter/better written.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Axels said:

Nope. Totally reductive and made the last 9 hours completely irrelevant. I feel cheated.

Oof. Yeah, I didn’t mind the finale as much but this is still a very justified response. I feel like this show didn’t live up to its potential. They had a built-in audience here! This could’ve been something great but in the end it was just okay for me. 

i wonder if

a happy ending tying everything up by sending everyone to their proper dimension would've felt too neat & left less open for a season 2?  i mean, stranger things does this kinda but still 

not gonna lie, by the end with the cop telling our dude that death followed everywhere he went, i was half wondering if they were gonna say he too came from a different timeline & didn't belong in this one

4 hours ago, The NZA said:

i wonder if

Hide contents

a happy ending tying everything up by sending everyone to their proper dimension would've felt too neat & left less open for a season 2?  i mean, stranger things does this kinda but still 

not gonna lie, by the end with the cop telling our dude that death followed everywhere he went, i was half wondering if they were gonna say he too came from a different timeline & didn't belong in this one

So based on this part of the interview with the writers....

Each season gives us the opportunity to present a new story—whether it's jumping around in time and presenting a story set in the 1970s, a more classical monster story, or a totally naturalistic Stephen King kind of story. Even in an anthology, where you are going to point the camera in a slightly different direction and not necessarily see your main characters as your main characters, I think that it was important to us to feel like there was a kind of grand story that was building over these seasons.

Spoiler

...it seems like we're mostly done with this story and we'll be moving on, but other stories will tie into this one? If that's the case, I think they should absolutely have wrapped this one up in a more satisfying way.