Hondo's Bar

Scary Stories to Tell In the Dark

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3517966/meet-scary-stories-tell-dark-ensemble/

Filming is just about to begin on director André Øvredal‘s adaptation of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark for CBS Films, which is being produced by Guillermo del Toro. Young actress Zoe Colletti (Annie) was the first name to be announced from the ensemble, with the full cast now including Michael Garza (Wayward PinesThe Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1), Austin Abrams (Brad’s StatusThe Americans), Gabriel Rush (Moonrise KingdomThe Grand Budapest Hotel), Austin Zajur (Fist FightKidding), and Natalie Ganzhorn (Make it PopWet Bum) .

Kevin Hageman and Dan Hageman (LEGO Movie, Trollhunters: Tales of Arcadia) co-wrote the screenplay with Academy Award-winner Guillermo del Toro and Patrick Melton & Marcus Dunstan (The Collector, Saw IV-VII, Feast, Piranha 3D) from the bestselling trilogy of books by Alvin Schwartz.

The film is being produced by Guillermo del Toro as well as Sean Daniel and Jason Brown of Hivemind along with Academy Award-winner J. Miles Dale and Elizabeth Grave.

Scary Stories is expected to release in 2019.

• Like 1

I was JUST thinking I needed to go on Amazon and order the original versions of these books. They were a huuuuuge part of my childhood. We have them at the school where I teach and I read them on my break sometimes. They're so fantastic. It'll be interesting to see how an adaptation works here, given the books are just collections of different stories. I don't wanna read up on it too much beforehand. I'd like to go in as blind as possible!

1 minute ago, Bindusara said:

Yeah my GF hunted down some earlier editions for me as a present for X mas last year. The reprints they did with the new art are hot garbage - the stories themselves were never that scary but the OG art is what made it for a lot of us as kids. 

Uhhhh the art was EVERYTHING. Why even bother reprinting them without it? That's terrible!!!

Edited by Donatella

17 minutes ago, Bindusara said:

NOOOOO! What. No. WHAT. 

That makes me sad. If our generation could handle (and LOVE) the original iconic art, this generation can as well! This artwork isn't bad. It just is NOT Scary Stories...Ugh. 

2 hours ago, Axels said:

Yeah, unless they get Stephen Gammel involved as the art director or something, then this won't work. 

This just in:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3518099/guillermo-del-toro-confirms-creatures-scary-stories-tell-dark-will-true-book-illustrations/

Guillermo del Toro Confirms That Creatures in ‘Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark’ Will Be True to Book Illustrations

Perhaps even more iconic than the actual stories found inside of Alvin Schwartz’s three Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books are the illustrations, which came courtesy of Stephen Gammell. The terrifying artwork is largely what made the books so scary, and we’re very glad to hear that those drawings will be brought to life in André Øvredal‘s film adaptation.

Answering a question from Birth.Movies.Death’s Scott Wampler, producer Guillermo del Toro promises that the creatures in the movie will be faithful to Gammell’s drawings…

• Really Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Saw this last night and I really enjoyed it! The overall plot is kinda flimsy and dumb, but the horror sequences, creatures and over vibe of the movie was great. Its a nostalgie trip for anyone who read the books and there are lots of nods to different stories. A great movie to get into the Halloween spirit, even if it was eeleased a month too early.

• Really Like 1