Hondo's Bar

Telltale closing down

Keth

Telltale games seemingly closes down

A number of Telltale Games' employees have posted on social media today indicating that they are looking for work, with many sharing both publicly and privately that Telltale has either closed its doors or is suffering its largest layoff so far.

We have reached out to Telltale for clarification, but did not receive anything back by the time of writing. It appears from the sheer number of developers that are seeking employment, however, that the company will have to make a public statement sooner rather than later. 

Less than a year ago, the studio laid off over a quarter of its workforce under the auspices of a necessary restructuring plan while a drama-filled game of musical chairs for the company's leadership played out in the background. Telltale has been saying in the time since that they hope to focus on quality over quantity and released the first episode of the final season of The Walking Dead just a short while ago.

Telltale had announced several other projects that might not see the light of day now, such as The Wolf Among Us season 2, Stranger Things, and Game of Thrones season 2. A skeleton crew of 25 employees reportedly remain to finish The Walking Dead, but new projects are unlikely to continue after.

We will continue to monitor this story and update as it develops.

Holy fuck, that's a blind side. Still developing, and this might not be the whole story, but damn. This sucks. 

Edited by Axels
  • Sad 2

[IMG] 

verge

looks like an ending to walking dead, with stranger things and wolf among us 2 canceled 

yeah...shit.  i guess you're right, i only played the first walking dead, meant to go back but all the others - batman, BTTF, game of thrones, fables etc - i felt like i knew what to expect, and there's just other VN's out there i wanna play

was reading somewhere that they were kinda counting on some form of a netflix deal that also didn't pan out. that's a lotta people though, here's to hoping they find work again soon 

Clearly some talented writers in there. Might be an opportunity to spread that around to other studios and see those ideas incorporated into new games. Still, bummed Wolf Among Us 2 isn't happening. 

via the link in my first post

Update #3: Telltale employees have suggested publicly and privately that the remaining employees are not working on The Walking Dead, as originally thought, but instead the Netflix deal for Minecraft Story Mode. USGamer has heard something similar from their sources.

If true, then The Walking Dead story that put Telltale on the map is doomed to go unfinished, two episodes short of its stated goal. It would also likely be the most prominent example of a season pass going unfulfilled, raising the question of what happens to people who purchased the full season, especially from a company that is seemingly filing for bankruptcy.

Edited by Axels

yeah wow, that's...for real?  so the netflix deal did go down (to some extent) and it still only kept their doors open another quarter or so?  goddamn

can't even think about TWD right now, but yeah, if i was invested in that i'd be right there with baytor.  this is awful. 

(US Gamer) Telltale’s The Walking Dead: The Final Season has been canceled

Update 4 [4:12pm]: As information continues to come out of today's announcement that Telltale Games is closing, and particularly in light of Telltale's statement, there are new revelations to the situation at Telltale.

We previously reported that a skeleton crew will remain behind to complete work on The Walking Dead Final Season. That information was inaccurate. Sources who wish to remain anonymous explained that there is a skeleton crew at Telltale, but they will be working on the Minecraft Story Mode project for Netflix. In fact, The Walking Dead team was also laid off today and The Walking Dead Final Season will not be completed.

This matches with the statement issued by Telltale games where the company promised to "fulfill the company's obligations to its board and partners." Our sources say The Walking Dead Final Season is set to end after the second episode launches next week.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...