Hondo's Bar

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

First look at Dicaprio/Pitt in Tarantino's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

I’m so over Tarantino. I’ve never been less excited about a movie based on a true crime event I’m obsessed with (Helter Skelter was the first true crime novel I ever read). I don’t know, I feel like Tarantino is the LAST person I’d want touching anything dealing with Charles Manson. 

Man, I used to be such a huge fan of his. It’s hard to pinpoint where it all went wrong for me. But I just can’t with him anymore. 

24 minutes ago, Jables said:

I immensely enjoyed Hateful Eight and Django Unchained more on the second viewing. Tarantino telling the Manson story is 1) going to be a hoot and 2) going to probably be one of the best Tarantino OST's.

Fucking Nostradamus over here getting me all excited.

Panchlation: I agree and am now very much looking forward to the OST as much as the film.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

As time went on my expectations kinda dropped for this. I'm glad I lowered them because I didn't like this very much at all. Dicaprio is good. Brad Pitt is fantastic. There is no real story or plot. It has a sort of creepy vibe throughout the movie. Some parts intentional, but others not. Its pretty boring.

I dunno. I had low expectations, but since its Tarantino I was still disappointed. I may like it more on a second viewing though.

The ending js predictable as hell, but still the best part of the whole thing. If you saw Inglourious Basterds, then you see this one coming a mile away.

Edited by Axels
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Axels said:

As time went on my expectations kinda dropped for this. I'm glad I lowered them because I didn't like this very much at all. Dicaprio is good. Brad Pitt is fantastic. There is no real story or plot. It has a sort of creepy vibe throughout the movie. Some parts intentional, but others not. Its pretty boring.

I dunno. I had low expectations, but since its Tarantino I was still disappointed. I may like it more on a second viewing though.

Hide contents

The ending js predictable as hell, but still the best part of the whole thing. If you saw Inglourious Basterds, then you see this one coming a mile away.

I’m so on the fence about seeing this one. I’ve been exasperated with Tarantino for a while now and was so bummed that he was taking on a Manson movie. Helter Skelter was one of my first true crime novels and I am fascinated by that whole story. But I didn’t think he would/could do it right. Now you’ve got me leaning toward just catching it streaming someday. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Donatella said:

I’m so on the fence about seeing this one. I’ve been exasperated with Tarantino for a while now and was so bummed that he was taking on a Manson movie. Helter Skelter was one of my first true crime novels and I am fascinated by that whole story. But I didn’t think he would/could do it right. Now you’ve got me leaning toward just catching it streaming someday. 

The Manson Family story is so strange, especially if you start to dig into it. There were just so many other cults that might have been involved. There is Manson's involvement in the Church of Scientology while he was in prison (he claims that he was audited to the point of becoming a Clear). There is the fact that Manson lived down the street at one point from the Process Church of the Final Judgement (members of which visited him in jail after the murders). The Process Church was also started by renegade Scientologists. Plus the fact that there are allegations that the Process Church was in some way involved with the Son of Sam murders. It's weird, but interesting to read about.

• Upvote 1
  • Wow! 2

It's weird, cause the Manson stuff (aside from Brad Pitt) is the best thing about the movie. It's the stuff you come to see, and he does deliver on it fairly well. It's just present enough to be engaging, but just absent enough keep it from being handled incorrectly. I was afraid he was going to glorify it somehow, but he does the exact opposite. I wouldn't be too worried about that part of the film.

You know, I actually found the Manson stuff to be more of an afterthought in the film. It was more or less a, yeah this thing is happening only because it's mildly important later. Honestly, they could have replaced the Manson stuff with random people and it would have had the same effect, though it would have made all the Tate-Polanski stuff pointless.  It's the knowledge of what actually happened that makes it important.

Ryan pointed out that the Manson stuff is not what the movie was actually about and I have to agree with him. The movie is not without it's flaws. It's a lot longer than it really needs to be. But, I still found it to be a good film. The acting is good, the characters are fairly sympathetic, and the dialog was good.