Hondo's Bar

Avengers: Endgame

Keth

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Got my tix for Friday... at 9am.

Yup, you read that right. I work Thursday night so I can't possibly see it with half the planet. Next best thing? Be the very fucking first to see it the next day. Oh, and you know I will be on a social media blackout til about noon friday so don't call me (no one calls me).

On 4/23/2019 at 8:06 AM, alive she cried said:

First reactions are in, and are ridiculously, overwhelmingly positive.

Pshh. Lemmings. Go in to this one with lowered expectations and empty bladders, Hondo's. Not really spoilers, but if you don't want to know anything, I'll tag these comments...

It's an adequate film. Not as uneven as Age of Ultron, but close. Sadly, it is not nearly as entertaining or engaging as Infinity War. Third best Avengers film. (IW, Avengers, Endgame, AoU)

Thor continues to be the best comic relief. There's a bit in the final battle guaranteed to make Nza cream his jeans.

Protip: don't bother sitting through the 10 minutes of credits. This film has no scene after the credits.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Im going to have to watch this again, but initial reaction is I liked it. Not as great as Infinity War, BUT it had my favorite versions of every character (Lebowski Thor better be back for Guardians 3.) AND it had the absolute best moment in the history of a Marvel movie. (Cap is worthy). I may like it more as a back to back viewing with IW. I really think, after Hawkeye's intro, it should have started with the 5 year jump and straight to Scott's reveal. Him exploring the semi deserted town was really creepy and effective, and would have been more impactful I think. Little things bugged me, but it worked overall and it had some really creative time travel stuff.

• Upvote 1

This was really great. There was only a stretch in the middle-ish...

Spoiler

when they split up in teams to find the stones

...that I was like "okay, how long are we gonna be doing this?" and kinda checked the clock a bit because it dragged. But it picked right back up after that and had such a satisfying ending. I'm so glad I managed to avoid some pretty huge spoilers! 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Bindusara said:

I agree with the "I think I need to see it again" comments. Mostly because...it was really overwhelming. There's a LOT to take in and you get so kinda, lost in the magic of it all. 

I have to say, I did like it more on the second viewing. However, I'm still not seeing how people on social media are all "OMGREATEAST MOVIE EVARRR1!1!" There are at least two very problematic faults I've got with the plot, and the overall tone is a bit forced and self indulgent. I'd still put it as the third best Avengers flick after Infinity War & Avengers.

Also, I gotta say, I felt next to nothing when Widow died. I love her, but she was going nowhere and it just felt like a way to get rid of her. Hawkeye dying would have been alot more impactful I think (think of when his family got back) BUT he got to do some cool shit so there's a tradeoff I guess? Still I wish they found a different way of getting the soul stone and kept Natasha around. Just retreading old ground there. 

Spoiler

It was also kinda fucked up that they have this big funeral for Tony but nothing for Natasha. I mean, there was no keepsake of hers on those floating flowers, were there? No reason to believe it was some kind of dual ceremony? Just seemed like she died and was promptly forgotten. That was cold!

Came back to say: I googled it and the writers apparently said her not getting a funeral was "partly because Tony’s this massive public figure and she’s been a cipher the whole time." Okay...but it wasn't a public funeral. It was a backyard ceremony with their closest friends and family who all knew Natasha. I call bullshit.

Edited by Donatella