Hondo's Bar

Harry Potter

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oooo, Chrpnbrd didnt teach you bout judging books by their covers...seriously, ya gotta give some things a go, you prolly wouldnt have tried out Pulp Fiction if i didnt have it there, but that was cool shit and you know it.

But sure, you can get a guess anyway, like if its Mike's and it starts with "Star Wars: something something" its prolly a safe judgement call.

You can't tell damn near a thing from a book title. I mean thats absurd. And as far as reading a bit to decide Alot of DAMN good books don't get going until after the first 5 or even ten chapters if thres enough development thats to be done.

My take is to read through a book until the middle and then drop it or finish it based on that. Any book that hasn't picked up or gotten you interested by then was poorly written.

PS Michael Criton books are great "fast-starting" books. His newest one "PREY" got me hooked on page 1. Another Good recent one is Timeline.

Edited by TopDawg540

I really don't understand the mentality of only rewatching a movie if it's something like the usual suspects or the sixth sense or something like that. Thats like saying that you'l only look at a painting once, or only listen to a great cd once, it's rediculous. Everybody says that they dont rewatch things untill they find themselves watching a movie on TV they've seen a million times and still like. It's the idea of rewatching that most people dont like. And books are the same, though I can understand not rereading a bit more since books are more time consuming. Unless you've memorized every word, it worth it to reread things. This is basically saying that all books and movies are is "knowing what happened." And that's all there is to it. By that logic I could just tell you what happens in Huck Finn, Catcher in the Rye, 1984, etc and it would be the same thing as reading it. If something isn't worth seeing twice, well, it isnt all that good then is it?

Andromeda Strain is my personal fave.

I spent ages trying to explain to my housemates a few days ago why I thought Sixth Sense wasn't a very good movie because it doesn't stand up to repeat viewings. I minced words too much but Junkerseed put it beautifully, thank you. B)

Besides I could watch Coen brother films over and over and over.....

Because premarital sex is a sin in the eyes of the lord young Ian and no matter how far you go its never too late to pull out until, you know, when it's really too late and then youd better start lookin into shotgun weddings or foreign countries but that's not the point.

...Holy crap what was this thread about?

Thats just it. If i've gotten to the middle of a book and been pissed i'm reading it I let it go. If i get there and I've not had a hard time picking it up or and turning to like it then I finish it. My main point is to try as best i can to get midway through the book before I cast it aside as Crap. By the midpoin the story is well on the way and you can usually determine where you stand on it.

been awhile since i posted on this. last i remember i was talking about harry potter! ha. the discussion is going everywhere, so i'll join in if yall don't mind. ok mabye you do, but i'm posting anyway.

the shakesphere thing reminds me of the movie renaissance man. those guys wern't rocket scientists, but a good teacher makes the difference. it's like new ideas and thought in the classroom. at the same time, you can't teach a middle school student. i mean really, what are you in middle school, 15? so i'd say high school is the right time.... which is were i got most of my shakesphere. however i do remember doin it in my last year in middle school... macbeth, i remember quite clearly. it wasn't too hard to follow, but we didn't dissect it like we do in high school. so it wasn't like we got the whole scope of it all. but it was good to start on it, since we had to do it again anyway. if it were hamlet though, i think i would cry.

sponge - i might as well throw all of my movies away if i thought like you do. i mean, what's the point? why enjoy movies? i don't see any other way to put your way of thinking. unless you watch stuff, like it, and move on without thinking, "hmm, one day i'd like someone else to enjoy this." kinda selfish, don't you think?

freebird - harry potter = instant message. :D

Yeah, Spiffy spurts a line or two and now he gets it. That boy aint right. But, see where I & many would buy movies to watch em again ourselves, lookit spiffy's nature in that comment: he loves sharing them with others, even if he is demanding about the system, conditions, you shutting the fuck up during the movie, etc...whatta guy.

I think he was saying, to Freebird, that Shakespeare takes thought/reflection, Potter message or point, is "instant"...it wasnt a math equation he wrote there...

I think he was saying, to Freebird, that Shakespeare takes thought/reflection, Potter message or point, is "instant"...it wasnt a math equation he wrote there...

Ohhhh, I gotcha. Here I thought he was somehow trying to subtract Harry Potter from Freebird. Damn these algebra classes...

past three tests 112, 111, 110. hehehe took one today might get 109

I once got a 375% on a chemistry quiz in 6th grade. We were asked questions like name the symbol for Oxygen or what element is C. It was like ten questions long and it had extra credit: Name other elements, 5 points for every element and an additionall 5 points for every corresponding symbol, and 5 point for a corresponding atomic number. That fucking teacher had no clue I would list like half the periodic table. He said he would never set no limit for extra credit again. Bet that spongebob!