Hondo's Bar

Harry Potter

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not good at posting images, so maybe Jax or IC can help me with that. Ian Holm has been in a ton of things, but the biggest roles I can think of were the doctor (I forget his name) in the original Alien, the priest in The Fifth Element, and William Gull in From Hell.

Jim Broadbent is a great character actor who is probably most famous for playing Zidler in Moulin Rouge. He was also in Iris, and he played Boss Tweed in Gangs of New York.

I also think Tom Wilkinson (The Patriot, Rush Hour, In the Bedroom, Shakespeare in Love) would be good as...someone. Not sure, yet. Maybe Cornelius Fudge.

Pasting a image is easy...

1. Go to the picture.

2. Right click.

3. Click on propertys

4. highlight the URL

5. Click IMG when posting.

6. paste URL

7. And the have yourself a nice picture...

doctor (I forget his name) in the original Alien, the priest in The Fifth Element, and William Gull in From Hell.

Never seen any of them...

Moulin Rouge. He was also in Iris, and he played Boss Tweed in Gangs of New York.

Never seen Moulin Rouge tried to watch it last week but fell asleep.

And thx to SunShyne master mind plan I didn't get to see Gangs of New York. :(

The Patriot, Rush Hour, In the Bedroom, Shakespeare in Love

Everyone has already seen The Patriot so they wont rent it so I can...

Who was he in Rush Hour?? ;)

Mabey not scary but creepy... IN da books don't it say something about them being up there with Hagrid in height? and wereing all black with hoods on... I was thinking about them kinda looking like the Kings that chace Frodo and try for the ring...

Everyone is already cast???? For jsut this next movie? "Prisoner of Azkaban" or all nevermind.... They can't have the whole movie characters cast because there are like tons of them.

Sorry, I meant everyone is already cast for the 3rd movie. None of the characters that make their first appearence in GOF have been cast. And by the way...

I was thinking about them kinda looking like the Kings that chace Frodo and try for the ring...

Those are the Ringwraiths. I think anyone whose read the Prisoner of Azkaban and read of seen FOTR can agree that they are very similar. So, what do other people think? Will the Dementors be scarier? I think they will, just because The Fellowship was running away from the Ringwraiths, and the Dementor will sort of freely be wandering around the Hogwarts campus. That will make them creepier.

...after reading both Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, Harry Potter seems to be a watered down version of Lord of the Rings.  Kind of generic too, but good for little kids cause its written at the 3rd grade level.

:D These are unauthorized by J. K. Rowling, but if you know a good bit of mythology or ancient-or-just-old theology, they make some good points against that theory:

Colbert, David. The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter: A Treasury of Myths, Legends, and Fascinating Facts. Wrightsville Beach, NC: Lumina Press, 2001.

Kronzek, Allan Zola and Elizabeth Kronzek. The Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter. New York: Broadway Books, 2001.

Colbert's pretty off on a few things--the Kronzeks not so much--but they get the point across. In a nutshell, the way-above-third-grade stuff's in there, if you know the background and it actually rings a bell when you come across it. Rowling put much more work into the world of Harry Potter than the actual plot. The books also abound with symbolism, and when one reads the first four in close succession, the tiny details that seem insignificant in the first or second books pop out later on as distinct and sometimes damning clues.

The question now is whether she can keep it up for the next three books. ;)

I read an interview with J.K. Rowling and she was saying that as Harry gets older and different things are becoming relevant to him, when we get to the sixth book he will be drinking alco-pops in fields, having unprotected sex with girl's whose names he doesn't know and smoking 40 Rotmans a day. Also Hermoine gets pregnant by Mike Damone and Brad Hamilton has to take her to the abortion clinic when Mike scarpers. Meanwhile Ron is fucked out of his head after smoking a shit load of ganja with Jeff Spicoli.

seriously though I did like the Potter books and now that that tosser Chris Colombus is off the scene maybe the movie's will be better. I thought "Prisoner of Azkeban" was the best book (except that stoopid Scabbers thing) so the movie better not get fucked up by Alfonso "Y tu mamá también" Cuarón, but for some reason I don't see this happening...