Hondo's Bar

The Expanse

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+The+Expanse+about%3F

Hundreds of years in the future, in a colonized Solar System, police detective Josephus Miller (Thomas Jane), born on Ceres in the asteroid belt, is sent to find a missing young woman, Juliette "Julie" Andromeda Mao (Florence Faivre). James Holden (Steven Strait), Executive Officer of the ice hauler Canterbury, is involved in a tragic incident that threatens to destabilize the uneasy peace between Earth, Mars and the Belt. On Earth, Chrisjen Avasarala (Shohreh Aghdashloo), a United Nations executive, works to prevent war between Earth and Mars by any means necessary. Soon, the three find out that the missing woman and the ice hauler's fate are part of a conspiracy that threatens humanity.

• Hmmm 1

So yeah, on a VERY simple level, it's Game of Thrones in space but good. And I hate that comparison but it's the easiest to go to. GoT in the sense that there's a lot of characters, 3 factions (Earth, Mars and the Belt) all trying to expand out into the galaxy when we finally come across something we don't understand. There's a lot of to unpack as it asks questions like: What happens when the Earth is united and there's universal basic income for everyone? I know this is going to sound horrible but economy is a huge factor in the show - job economy, food and water etc...

Friend of mine described it as - what Earth would have been like /before/ the federation in Star Trek. 

Also, the books as well as the show actually try and be as scientifically accurate as possible. The writers of the books/show James S.A Corey (its two people writing under one pen name) actually are a part of G.R.R's writing circle. - If I'm not selling you yet, I want to. I want everyone to watch this show.