Hondo's Bar

2019 - Entertainment Year In Review

Twenty questions about your year in entertainment.

1. What was your favorite live event (concert, sporting event, play, festival, convention, etc.) you attended in 2019?
  2. Favorite musical artist of 2019?
  3. What song did you hit “repeat” on the most in 2019?
  4. Favorite book and/or comic you read in 2019?
  5. Favorite hour long TV show you binge watched in 2019?
  6. Favorite half-hour long TV show you binge watched in 2019?
  7. Favorite hour long TV show you watched week to week in 2019?
  8. Favorite half-hour long TV show you watched week to week in 2019?
  9. Favorite animated series of 2019?
  10. Favorite animated film of 2019?
  11. Favorite documentary (film or series) of 2019?
  12. Favorite comedy film of 2019?
  13. Favorite action and/or sci-fi film of 2019?
  14. Favorite drama and/or romance film of 2019?
  15. Favorite video game of 2019?
  16. Favorite YouTube channel in 2019?
  17. What’s your favorite/most used app on your smartphone in 2019?
  18. Who is the one entertainer that died in 2019 you’d bring back? (There can be only one!)
  19. What was your 2019 like as depicted in emojis or a single .gif?
  20. What entertainment experience (concert, film, TV show, game, etc.) are you most looking forward to in 2020?

What was your favorite live event (concert, sporting event, play, festival, convention, etc.) you attended in 2019?

It has to be my directorial stage debut earlier this year, when I directed two one act plays. It was a nerve wracking but exhilarating experience. 

Favorite musical artist of 2019?

According to Spotify it was The Beatles. My favourite artist that I discovered in 2019 was My Morning Jacket.

What song did you hit “repeat” on the most in 2019?

Deadhead (Live at the Royal Albert Hall) by Devin Townsend.  No hyperbole, it's the greatest live vocal I've ever heard. 

Favorite book and/or comic you read in 2019?

Image result for the great mortality john kelly

and 

Image result for a.d after death

Favorite hour long TV show you binge watched in 2019?

The greatest saga in tv history rumbles on, and I remain riveted. 

Image result for better call saul season 4

Favorite half-hour long TV show you binge watched in 2019?

I know it didn't strictly stick to 30 minutes, but it was usually around the 30 mark. Such an amazing show, I binged all three seasons in five days.

Related image

Favorite hour long TV show you watched week to week in 2019?

I don't really do week to week anymore, but despite it's ending it would still have to be Game of Thrones. There were still some great moments interspersed with the crap. 

Image result for game of thrones season 8 poster

Favorite half-hour long TV show you watched week to week in 2019?

I got nothing.

Favorite animated series of 2019?

I need to watch more cartoons.

Favorite animated film of 2019?

Favorite documentary (film or series) of 2019?

Jaw dropping.

Image result for abducted in plain sight poster netflix

Favorite comedy film of 2019?

I didn't see a lot of movies this year, so maybe

Image result for far from home poster 

Favorite action and/or sci-fi film of 2019?

Image result for endgame poster

Favorite drama and/or romance film of 2019?

Despite the over reliance on Taxi Driver and King of Comedy, it was still a beautifully shot, well acted movie.

Image result for joker poster

Favorite video game of 2019?

Easiest question so far, it's knocked Skyrim off my all time number 1 spot. It had everything I look for in a game.

Image result for red dead redemption 2 poster

Favorite YouTube channel in 2019?

Joe Rogan

What’s your favorite/most used app on your smartphone in 2019?

Spotify

Who is the one entertainer that died in 2019 you’d bring back? (There can be only one!)

Stan Lee, I suppose. I don't really get overly emotional when aged musicians die.

What was your 2019 like as depicted in emojis or a single .gif?

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611d34f69c562bc7eed51

What entertainment experience (concert, film, TV show, game, etc.) are you most looking forward to in 2020?

With great anticipation comes great trepidation.

Image result for picard 2020

• Really Like 1
  • Wow! 1

1. What was your favorite live event (concert, sporting event, play, festival, convention, etc.) you attended in 2019?
    Beetlejuice on Broadway in NYC
  2. Favorite musical artist of 2019?
    Lizzo
  3. What song did you hit “repeat” on the most in 2019?
    Truth Hurts, older stuff like Sade and Fiona Apple 
  4. Favorite book and/or comic you read in 2019?
    The Green Witch (book), The Essential Man-Thing (comic book) 
  5. Favorite hour long TV show you binge watched in 2019?
    You, Unbelievable, The Great British Baking Show
  6. Favorite half-hour long TV show you binge watched in 2019?
    Schitt’s Creek 
  7. Favorite hour long TV show you watched week to week in 2019?
    The newest GBBO season. Streaming services need to stop with the week to week bullshit. That is NOT what I pay you for!! 
  8. Favorite half-hour long TV show you watched week to week in 2019?
    Superstore 
  9. Favorite animated series of 2019?
    Duck Tales
  10. Favorite animated film of 2019?
    The Addams Family 
  11. Favorite documentary (film or series) of 2019?
    The Movies that Made Us 
  12. Favorite comedy film of 2019?
    Booksmart
  13. Favorite action and/or sci-fi film of 2019?
    Captain Marvel and John Wick 3
  14. Favorite drama and/or romance film of 2019?
    Someone Great 
  15. Favorite video game of 2019?
    Karaoke Revolution 
  16. Favorite YouTube channel in 2019?
    I don’t do YouTube 
  17. What’s your favorite/most used app on your smartphone in 2019?
    Instagram
  18. Who is the one entertainer that died in 2019 you’d bring back? (There can be only one!)
    Luke Perry 
  19. What was your 2019 like as depicted in emojis or a single .gif? 
    black and white 90s GIF
  20. What entertainment experience (concert, film, TV show, game, etc.) are you most looking forward to in 2020?
    Hoping to catch Rage Against the Machine, but that’s uncertain. We have tickets to see Alanis in the fall! Also looking forward to Haunting of Bly Manor and the new Marvel shows on Disney+! 
Edited by Donatella
  • Like 1
  • Really Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 1:07 AM, alive she cried said:

What was your favorite live event (concert, sporting event, play, festival, convention, etc.) you attended in 2019?

It has to be my directorial stage debut earlier this year, when I directed two one act plays. It was a nerve wracking but exhilarating experience. 

Favorite musical artist of 2019?

According to Spotify it was The Beatles. My favourite artist that I discovered in 2019 was My Morning Jacket.

What song did you hit “repeat” on the most in 2019?

Deadhead (Live at the Royal Albert Hall) by Devin Townsend.  No hyperbole, it's the greatest live vocal I've ever heard. 

Favorite book and/or comic you read in 2019?

Image result for the great mortality john kelly

and 

Image result for a.d after death

Favorite hour long TV show you binge watched in 2019?

The greatest saga in tv history rumbles on, and I remain riveted. 

Image result for better call saul season 4

Favorite half-hour long TV show you binge watched in 2019?

I know it didn't strictly stick to 30 minutes, but it was usually around the 30 mark. Such an amazing show, I binged all three seasons in five days.

Related image

I don't really do week to week anymore, but despite it's ending it would still have to be Game of Thrones. There were still some great moments interspersed with the crap. 

Image result for game of thrones season 8 poster

Favorite half-hour long TV show you watched week to week in 2019?

I got nothing.

Favorite animated series of 2019?

Favorite animated film of 2019?

Favorite documentary (film or series) of 2019?

Jaw dropping.

Image result for abducted in plain sight poster netflix

Favorite comedy film of 2019?

I didn't see a lot of movies this year, so maybe

Image result for far from home poster 

Favorite action and/or sci-fi film of 2019?

Image result for endgame poster

Favorite drama and/or romance film of 2019?

Despite the over reliance on Taxi Driver and King of Comedy, it was still a beautifully shot, well acted movie.

Image result for joker poster

Favorite video game of 2019?

Easiest question so far, it's knocked Skyrim off my all time number 1 spot. It had everything I look for in a game.

Image result for red dead redemption 2 poster

Favorite YouTube channel in 2019?

Joe Rogan

What’s your favorite/most used app on your smartphone in 2019?

Spotify

Who is the one entertainer that died in 2019 you’d bring back? (There can be only one!)

Stan Lee, I suppose. I don't really get overly emotional when aged musicians die.

What was your 2019 like as depicted in emojis or a single .gif?

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611d34f69c562bc7eed51

What entertainment experience (concert, film, TV show, game, etc.) are you most looking forward to in 2020?

With great anticipation comes great trepidation.

Image result for picard 2020

Abducted in Plain Sight was fucking MADNESS!!! If that had been a fictional movie, people would’ve said the writing was bad and that could never happen in real life! Blows my mind to this day. 

Oh and Stan Lee died at the end of 2018 but still an excellent choice!

Edited by Donatella

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies, I'm a touch late to to game on this. I do love doing these though as it gets me to think back on what I really loved in the last year.

What was your favorite live event (concert, sporting event, play, festival, convention, etc.) you attended in 2019? Probably the Public Service Broadcasting gig early in the year. Really really good live band with some audio-visual in there too.

Favorite musical artist of 2019? According to Spotify, Father John Misty. I'd agree with Spotify here. He's truly amazing with how he constructs songs and his lyrics are both inspired and hilarious.

What song did you hit “repeat” on the most in 2019? According to Spotify, this was:

Favorite book and/or comic you read in 2019? My favorite book was probably The Gospel according to Blindboy. Its a collection of short fictional stories wrote by a man who wears a bag on his head. Some of them are extremely dark, some hilarious and some with excellent social parallels.

Favorite hour long TV show you binge watched in 2019? Literally every episode of Ru Paul's Drag Race. Its comedy gold.

Favorite half-hour long TV show you binge watched in 2019? I know there was only half a season of it released in 2019, but I thoroughly enjoyed binge watching to catch up on BoJack Horseman. If we were doing a decade review, I'd be giving it best tv show nods. Blown Away gets a nod for how out of left field it is/was and that I never knew that Glass Making was so full of double entendré.

Favorite half-hour long TV show you watched week to week in 2019?  Bobs Burgers or South Park have both been consistently brilliant, and 2019 was no difference.

Favorite animated series of 2019? If we're going new, Undone or Love, Death & Robots.  Not new, there's a huge amount to choose from between Big Mouth, Disenchanted (S2 especially got much better), Rick & Morty, Bobs Burgers, BoJack & South Park (And while its a 2018 release on the most recent season, F Is for Family). The volume of amazing cartoons that are adult oriented is staggering. 

Favorite animated film of 2019? I lost my body. 

Favorite documentary (film or series) of 2019? Don't Fuck with Cats was really, really enjoyable in terms of a Docu-series and to go in a different direction and probably more of an honest answer, Our Planet was beautiful and harrowing all at the same time. Apollo 11 gets my nod for Documentary film.

Favorite comedy film of 2019? JoJo Rabbit. Unbelievable film.

Favorite action and/or sci-fi film of 2019? In terms of sheer OTT craziness, John Wick III is hard to look past. Other than Ad Astra (Which wasn't fully my cup of tea) 2019 wasn't a strong year for Sci FI.

Favorite drama and/or romance film of 2019? Always be my Maybe I loved. Ali Wong is awesome.

Favorite video game of 2019? The Outer Lands for sure.

Favorite YouTube channel in 2019? tumblr_ooo24vAfLz1qac1soo1_1280.gifv

What’s your favorite/most used app on your smartphone in 2019? Probably The Athletic. Its really really worth the paid subscription for the in depth sports journalism across major sports. 

Who is the one entertainer that died in 2019 you’d bring back? (There can be only one!) Scott Walker. Honourable mention to Peter Fonda, Keith Flint, Robert Forster, Rutger Hauer and Rene Auberjonois.

What was your 2019 like as depicted in emojis or a single .gif? Given I bought a house and got married....

tumblr_n5i3rv28kE1tq4of6o1_400.gifv

The wrapping up of BoJack Horseman is going to be a sad but exciting moment for me I think and seeing how Adam Driver and Florence Pugh continue to dominate movies will be interesting also as they're two of the brightest younger stars at the moment.

• Like 1