Hondo's Bar

Daredevil

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PRE-EMPTIVE TANGENT ALARM! STAR TREK COMMENTARY ON A NON-STAR TREK THREAD!

this one could get ugly people... Im sure it must be clearly written SOMEWHERE on this bastard website "No conversations regarding Star Trek in a non-Roddenbery zone"... arent you aware of the reprocusions of violating this rule?!? you are risking this topic being invaded by Trekkies who speak only Klingon! How would you like to carry on a conversation about Daredevil the movie... IN KLINGON!?! HMMM??!?!?

BACK

ON

TOPIC!

Actually, tangent man, the reference was not to Star Trek, but to the ill-fated Clerks cartoon, which of course was created by Kevin Smith who not only wrote the Daredevil comic, but also had a cameo appearance in the movie that this topic is about. So, in a way, we're still on-topic. :P

Holy crap, Tangent Man got told...Shut yo mouth!

(Im just talkin bout Silent Bob)

..and i can dig it.

That's rough, but yeah im glad it was pre-emptive, im not sure what happens to a thread if it gets 2 all out Tangent Alarms.

Im gonna check ComicBookResources.com for info on the DVD, here's to hopin for that uncut version.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to seeing this one a couple of days ago and eh, it was ok. Certainly wasn't anything special. Not bad tho. Just... fair. Didn't like it as much as spiderman AT ALL.... spiderman was like a thousand times more well made. The fights were shot better, the humor worked better, the characters were written and presented better, there was better talent involved in general (much better director, better actors, better screenwriter). The music in this one annoyed the fuck out of me too. I have no problem with modern stuff being used as music, (the crow is a fucking brilliant example of this) but I felt like they were simply trying to cram the soundtrack into the movie at points. Oh, and if I heard a character mention that he had "no fear" one more time in that fuckin thing, I woulda shot somebody... I know he's the man without fear! I dont need a character to ask how you beat a man without fear, just to have another character say "but... but he has no fear!" five minutes later and yet anotherone yell "fear...... my god he doesnt have any!" My two favorite things in there were Bullseye (Farrel is indeed the man) and the radar thing. That was indeed cool, I thought they handled that perfectly. I didn't like kingpin. Micheal Clark Duncan was fine, but in teh comics (I'm speaking from spiderman experience here) they build up kingpin to be a badass much much more. In the comics they have kingpin like crushing peoples skulls with one hand for fun before the hero ever meets him. Here they were just like "Look, he's like... big and stuff." So when the fight came, it just seemed like DD was fighting a big guy, not this impenetrable wall of muscle. Elektra was also pretty thin. And other than that, it was just very typical. Fancy schmancy style-over substance film making. I did like it though, lots of it was good fun and cool as hell, it's just that too much effort was spent on bell and whistles and not enough time on actually writing, directing, and acting in a good movie.

• 1 year later...

It was released on DVD yesterday, I just finished watching it a few hours ago. I have to say, this Cut was everything I could have hoped for. Some stuff was cut out and lots of stuff was added in. The result: Some of the stuff that happened in the Theatrical Cut didn't happen this time around. The story is way more story-centric and character-centric. Alot more Fogey, alot more Ben Urich, The Kingpin is alot more threatening and menacing, and Coolio is in this cut! Murdoc is a much darker character, and it's much less of a romance and more about a "the hero of Hell's Kitchen." Nick should be alot happier with this version than the Theatrical Cut. I am not kidding when I say entire sub plots were cut out of the Theatrical Cut. Some shit that happens at the beginning first time aroudn happens like half way through this time...I can't say enough about whole this is a whole new movie. I'm so gald I got it.

Been trying to find the time to write a review of this since I got it yesterday. I agree wholeheartedly. Daredevil wasn't a great comic book movie, and I don't think the director's cut is great either, but it's much much better. I heard a lot of fans of Daredevil complaining that the movie didn't do the characters justice. Now it does. I think this movie showed the closest representations to the comic counterparts that you could possibly get. Seriously, if you were one of the people who watched Daredevil and got a charge out of seeing the character up on screen but you were a little disappointed with the final product - watch the director's cut. It won't blow you away but it ought to make you nod, grin and say "ohhh, so that's where the characters I loved went".

What I think is so remarkable is when you watch it you realized people like Affleck thought a completely different kind of movie was being made. You look at it and think, thisa is alot of the same footage, but it's much darker. The fight with Kingpin was more brutal, and that scene where Murdock is taking a bath and the girl is dying in the same room as him, you can feel the character is actually tortured and haunted by his gifts. Shit like that made all the difference for me.

I agree. The tone was a lot more unified and that really helps the acting. The theatrical cut felt like it was a campy movie filled with actos who were (aside from Colin Farrell playing it straight. Now we can understand why they were playing it that way.

If I wanted to be critical, I'd say it's still not as good as it could have been, though. Specifically, I think the editing for the director's cut is a little sloppy at times. It's not so much a problem of having all the new stuff added in (and the whole movie rearranged) as just knowing exactly where the new stuff goes and in what order. Towards the end, it's a little hard to keep track of what's happening when. There were also some weird transitions, occasionally. The one that really jumped out at me was when they added in probably the funniest scene in the movie (Foggy questioning Coolio's character on the stand) and then immediately went from that scene to the funeral scene. The courtroom scene was so amusing that for a while we had forgotten why the other characters were so sad. Also, some of the added effects shots are a little unfinished (as they're not afraid to point out on the dvd) and I kinda wish Fox had let them have the money to complete those.

Still, it took an ok comic book movie and turned it into a really good one and that's quite a feat.

Also, I thought it was kinda interesting to hear the director mention that this version was planned to be included with the original dvd release (as many of us fans knew, and were eagerly awaiting) and the reason they had to leave it out was because they had so many good special features there wasn't enough room left on the disc. I'm just glad we finally got to see it.

I also wanna say that I really like Mark Steven Johnson's attitude with the way he edited the new version together. When most directors release director's cuts it seems like they're either being pretentious as hell by saying "this is the way the movie should have been if the studio had let me keep my artistic vision" (see: most Oliver Stone director's cuts) or they just seem like afterthoughts, with deleted scenes added in simply to pad out the running length and not adding much of substance to the movie itself (see: the recent director's cut of Hellboy). But with this one, Johnson repeatedly states that in many cases he has no idea whether the changes are better or worse than in the original release, but as he says "they've already seen that version". It's kind of refreshing to see a director's cut where the director isn't out to make himself look better, but wants to give the fans their money's worth when they buy it by giving them as many new things as possible.

Yes the new parts were great, but the same old shitty parts were still shitty...that bit in the park - still shitty. The ass-rat soundtrack - still shitty. Yeah, I dug the new one but I just still can't get over the faults that it had before.

Also, why'd they not show the boobies...I just wanted t'see the boobies...

So I went over over to the Subway across the street from FIU the other day and it was before 9pm, so I decided to visit Pancho next door (Comic Book shop) and talk before getting my sandwich. We talked about some stuff, among them the DareDevil Director Cut. I said I was thinking of getting a board meetup to screen it, cause I know he and Nick would like this version alot better. He said he's be down for it, anyone else interested? Wanna throw out some possible dates?