The NZA

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...

Nintendo Reflects on Cancelled Wind Waker 2, Would Have Been Set on Land

zeldacoverjpg-7586f3_59st1.jpg

Nintendo shed some light on The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker 2, a sequel to the then-divisive cel-animated Zelda adventure, would have taken on a “more land-based setting.”

The new information came from an interview with artist Satoru Takizawa, design manager and enemy designer of Wind Waker, in the Japanese edition of The Legend of Zelda: Art & Artifacts (called The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Graphics in Japan). It was translated by Nintendo Everything.

When asked about the shift towards realistic art direction for Twilight Princess, Takizawa admitted that the team had begun the initial steps towards creating Wind Waker 2, but the demand for a more Ocarina-like game couldn’t be ignored.

“However, Wind Waker 2 would have taken place in a more land-based setting,” Takizawa explained, “rather than on the sea, so that we could have Link gallop across the land on a horse.

“But Link’s proportions in Wind Waker weren’t very well suited for riding on horseback, he was too short, and an adult version of Toon Link did not seem appropriate either. So, while we were stuck on those problems, we became aware of the greater demand for a more realistic, taller Link.

“High-budget live-action fantasy movies were also huge at the time,” he said, ”so with all things considered, we decided to have at it.” With that, the game shifted to what would become Twilight Princess.

I'd love to see art of a proposed console sequel. Wind Waker did eventually get direct sequels on the DS - the only Zelda games I've never cared to play...well, Triforce Heroes is another. I love the cartoony look of WW. I died when I first saw the enemies explode in purple smoke w/ skull a'la the 80s Zelda cartoon. My only gripe is that - yet, again - no ol' skoo' blue Moblins or proper Octoroks! I don't understand! Why does Nintendo hate me?!

a_secret_to_everybody_by_tyrannosaurx.jpg

legend_of_zelda__octorok_by_deimos_remus.jpg

I'm guessing this 'Art n' Artifacts' book is one of those upcoming 30th anniversary books. I think they start rolling out around Feb-March of next year.

If this book is filled w/ scrapped concept art - that's gonna be sick.