Hondo's Bar

Pixar

*Jewels*

Seriously? But how can a grown man learn so much from a mere child? That shit sounds epic.

I saw this one, I don't remember the name, but he had to wear this dress like a fairy and he exchanged the teeth of children for cash. It was a sci-fi movie because he was a dark skinned dude who played hockey. I think it was called "The Nigger Who Loved Teeth".

Anyway, long story short, I was pretty spent by the end.

• Downvote 1

It's more of a matter of how can we watch them learn to scare humans in a way that doesn't undo their redemption or ignore the redemption's need without being unimportant fluff. I imagine pixar wouldn't do it if they didn't have an approach to that, as they are very careful in what they craft.

But that's just on faith. Shouldn't fault a skeptic for skepticism.

If we lived in a world where Cars 2 didn't exist, I would find it easier to find faith.

• Upvote 1

Took the nephew to see Brave today (I agree w/ Jax's assessment on the film for the most part), so here's my list of Pixar films from most to least favorite:

Toy Story

UP

Finding Nemo

WALL-E

Toy Story 3

The Incredibles

Toy Story 2

A Bug's Life

Brave

Monster, Inc.

Ratatouille

Cars

Cars 2

The first 8 on my list are all films I really love and have watched multiple times. Toy Story has to sit at number one b/c as good as TS3 was, none of that emotion and character development would've been possible w/out the solid foundation laid in the original. The rest of my top 5 choices are all really tied for second place.

baytor i know you put a little bit into that list of yours, but i stopped reading at the 1st link - Ghostbusters 2 was certainly not the masterpiece that 1 was by any stretch, but it was the more Ghostbusters i was looking for in my life at the time

i have to switch franchises now because im quite wary of a part 3

Also, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze was superior to the original. My evidence? Part II had exponentially more Vanilla Ice than the original. Are you really saying that you would wipe clean from the history books, that from which we were granted the sublime wonder that is the Ninja Rap, 1991's best rap song for a movie based on a popular TV show? That's right, Hammer! I said it! So, I ask you now, have you ever seen a turtle get down? Go ninja. Go ninja.

Go.

Edited by Reverend Jax
  • Upvote 1

Nah, they haven't peaked. They're just swimming around in their giant pool of money Uncle Scrooge style instead of creating new and wonderful things. Even if you appreciate the idea of a Monsters Inc. prequel do you honestly think they're gonna pull a Toy Story 2 with this?

And 67% of those sequels were better than their previous installments (Chris' list putting Toy Story 1 above its sequels is pure, uncut, unadulterated lunacy). You can't hold Toy Story 2 and 3 against Pixar, they are some of their best films. Even the most critical of film viewers is going to say that Pixar is at least knocking it out of the park over 67% of the time.

Also, the next 3 films after Monsters University are all announced and are all original (and the premises of all three sound pretty good), so Pixar has not gone sequel crazy.

Like I said, I don't believe that Pixar is suffering from lack in quality I just don't see what more there is to say in the Monsters Inc. universe than has been said already. I can see them getting more use out of the humor aspect but this isn't dreamworks studios, if I watch a Pixar movie it needs to have an emotional undercurrent and they're probably going to do something dumb like Mike is bad at scaring and feels insecure so he eventually becomes Sully's manager which we already know because we saw the first one. I'm not against a sequel to any Pixar movie (except maybe A Bug's Life) but I want to see they're approaching it from a clever perspective, not... well just showing the characters from the first one in college.

Well, this is what I've been able to find regarding the plot: "Mike Wazowski and James P. Sullivan weren't always the inseperable pair they are today. Back when the two first met, they couldn't stand each other. Monsters University tells the tale of how the two of them resolved their differences and became the best of friends." I think a film with Billy Crystal and John Goodman as two college students that can't stand each other sounds fun, and there are possibilities there.

Pixar is all about telling great stories with tried and true formulas? Living toys, parents rescuing lost child, family of superheroes, an animal with a seemingly impossible dream, a robot with a heart of gold, none of those are exactly original concepts, but the concept doesn't have to be brand new for the story to be good.

This thread made me actually go and check out the Pixar website. Save for Cars 2 they put up tons of "making of" videos from all their films; I must've spent nearly 2 hours on there last night. My favorite video was A Bug's Life roundtable. I know Joe Ranft was a big influence on the studio, but I didn't realize how much until I watched that roundtable.

Well, Toy Story 3 was 11 and 15 years separated from Toy Storys 2 and 1, respectively, and Monsters University will be released 12 years after the original. I don't think it's too late for a sequel. All the principle voice actors are still alive, though the voice actor for Dash was actually a young boy, so his voice has probably changed significantly, so unless they replaced him, they'd have to move the story forward in time accordingly, like at least 10 years.