Hondo's Bar

Pixar

*Jewels*

Monsters U will be the third Pixar franchise to get a sequel, and I'm guessing based on that video you posted they probably tried to get Bird for a sequel already but he's too busy makin' grown folk pictures. If the story was right an Incredibles sequel could be a hit, but I think the superhero market has been pretty saturated since the first film. I'm not sure how it'd do.

Personally I'd like to see Pixar get back to doing unique, original stories. Maybe a Western or a mystery, ya know, touch on some genres they haven't hit yet.

There next three movies announced after Monsters U sound pretty original. The 2014 one is about a world where Dinosaurs never went extinct (it's not clear if they coexist with humans, but it seems the dinosaurs are somewhat intelligent, living as farmers, I think). The 2015 one is about the Mexican holiday Dia de los Muertos (the Day of the Dead). And the 2016 one is about taking the audience "Inside the Human Mind." Here are the two statements that have been released about it:

"Pixar takes audiences on incredible journeys into extraordinary worlds: from the darkest depths of the ocean to the top of the tepui mountains in South America; from the fictional metropolis of Monstropolis to a futuristic fantasy of outer space. From director Pete Doctor (Up, Monsters Inc), and producer Jonas Rivera (Up), the inventive new film will take you to a place that everyone knows, but no one has ever seen: the world inside the human mind."

And

"Pete [Docter] has this way of constantly trying to figure out something that we’re all familiar with in some way… he’s constantly looking for these kinds of things. You look at people oftentimes and they do something to make you go “What are they thinking?” or it’s like how a song gets stuck in your head and you just can’t get it out. Little quirky thing like this that we all do. Certain emotions just seem to take us over, anger or happiness, where you start giggling and laughing and you can’t stop. He thought “I want to take a look at that, explain that.” His idea is that the emotions of this little girl are the characters and it takes place in the head of this little girl, and shows how they control things that go on. It’s very, very clever and it’s truly unlike anything you’ve ever seen, yet it explains things you’ve seen."

Like I said before, it doesn't seem to me that Pixar has abandoned original story of the easy cash-in sequel game.

Pete Docter flick concept sounds interesting-ish. But after UP, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Dinosaur flick I'll definitely need a trailer before I can say anything nice. The 2015 premise sound slike a Pixar Monster House/Frankenweenie/Paranorman type flick. Again, I'll have to wait on the trailer but the premise alone doesn't sound like much original ground is being tread.

I'm not sure if it was the reason they pulled the plug on that one, but someone at Pixar did say that the story was remarkable similar to the movie Rio (which I got free passes to go see and thought it was actually pretty good). I was kind of bummed about it being canned too, but it had already be reworked several times, and if it turned out to be just like Rio, then I think it makes sense.

I have not seen Finding Nemo, so I can't testify as to the artistic merit of a second outing. I don't even really have a problem with Pixar sequels, Toy Story only got better after all, I just have a problem with them equalizing universes that feel like they've mined all the creativity out. Toy Story, The Incredible, possibly Finding Nemo and Brave?, I could even see A Bugs Life having a decent sequel though God knows who'd actually watch it.

But others like Ratatouille, Up, Cars, Monsters Inc., and Wall-E were a lot of fun but there's really nowhere to go with those characters except do the same thing in a slightly different way. They tried to buck that by making Cars 2 into a spy movie (and to be fair that made an extremely dumb sequel a lot more watchable than it had any right to be) but it failed and the whole crux of this one seems to be "It's Monsters Inc. again, but in college!" They can make as many sequels as they want, they just seem to be getting sloppy about it. I don't want Pixar to be the next Don Bluth Productions!

• 8 months later...

So much for convincing Baytor that Pixar has any artistic credibility. Another sequel, they are officially a completely hack studio, and we are all philistines for being happy about his news.

It's got an official title now: Finding Dory. Set along the California coastline and returning characters include Marlin, Nemo and those found in the dentist's fish tank.

finding-dory-logo.jpg

*Edit*

Oops. Looks like ASC posted about this in its own thread. derp.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 3 months later...

You know Dr. Dardo was working on something epic like that and this guy just beat him to it. It was all really interesting in a conspiracy fanboy fever dream sort of way until I got to the part on Boo. The whole theory on Boo blew my fucking mind. Hours of my life gone watching pieces of Pixar movies and cross checking stuff online. Big ups, axels.