Hondo's Bar

Nas

The NZA

*bump* just throwin my love of nas out there... kinda wishin i went to see him when he was over last, but if you dress like i do at a hip hop gig, your asking to get stabbed afterwards a few times......

either way, he is one of the greats and i regard him about as high as i regard immortal technique and rza

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was just listening to illmatic the other day, stillmatic, god's son, and even street's disciple are better than i gave them credit for, mostly the last one cause i thought it was a weak double album, but by nas' standards, its stll heads & shoulders above about 90% of lp's ive heard since.

September's "Hip Hop is dead" has me hyped; between that and a dre produced jay-z album, ths year might not be tottally shit for hip hop after all.

• 2 months later...

from SOHH.com:

Premier has also been in the studio for another legend recently, rapper Nas. The pair previously worked together to craft the 1994 classic debut album Illmatic and have reunited for Nas' Def Jam album Hip Hop Is Dead...The N which is due out on December 19th.

"We did one song for the [new] album but we haven't mixed it yet," Premier told Billboard.com. "I don't know what the latest [release date] is but I think he should wait 'til next year, personally, to really make a classic bomb. He can do it but I think he needs more time. Whatever he chooses, he's got my support."

The album cut should be a prelude to the full length collaborative project that the two have long discussed making.

"[Nas] told me he wants the next album to be the one that we finally do, just me and him, all the way through -- just a Premier and Nas album," says Premier. "We'll see if that goes down."

1) Dec 19th, unless it leaks sooner. I cant wait...even looking back at Street's Disciple, it wasnt his finest but it had some really good tracks (Coon's picnic, American Way, Suicide Bounce, Virgo etc), and even one of his lesser works tops 90%+ of hip hop that's out right now.

2) Primo hooking up with Nas is exactly what he needs. Lyrically, the man cant be touched, but his shit needs production, and any fans of his know songs like "It aint hard to tell" or "Nas is like...", 2 of his finest songs ever, and thats what happens when these 2 collaborate. This is so cool.

yeah, but half the MCs out do...christ, jay calls him self "hova".

You hear any of his more recent shit? Stillmatic, God's Son...not Illmatic, but great albums.

Funny how he's on Jay's Def Jam label now, and their albums are practially gonna compete at the year's end. Anyway, at least this means we might see him in Vendetta 3.

• 1 year later...

the lost tapes was really, really good. i have days i go for stillmatic moreso, but its for a few tracks i cant hear enough off that one.

ill look out for this mixtape, any word on the new album name though?

that's a trip; i only check sohh (and youre right, its hard to read these days) and byroncrawford, shit's hilarious. ill follow up when one of em got news.

drunk by myself is a great track amongst good ones. i only side with stillmatic if you put em next to each other track for track, even then i could see someone going for lost tapes.

well it's a strange release, nas is so personal on the lost tapes... sounds almost suicidal.. and that's something most don't rap about... okay, so biggie did...

hmmm oh. before i forget.

joe budden - mood muzik 2. remember this idiot? "pump it up"... christ. mm2 is the best mixtape i've ever heard. (mm3 was just as good).. lyrically stunning on that.

• 2 weeks later...
thanks, downloading now! oh, and i gotta get those others you'd recommended last week. so, how was this?

i aint joe budden quality but yeah it's a decent mixtape.. beats are on fire..

i still think "can't forget about you" off of hip-hop is dead is dope, people totally overlooked that album

• 1 month later...
Nas uses the "N" word as a mere jumping-off point for his self-titled album, its initial title and final content even more closely related than the title and content of Hip Hop Is Dead. It's his most purposeful album; nearly every verse goes beyond talking trash and recalling exploits to address the change of title, the "N" word, race relations, stereotypes, the long arms and legs of Fox, love for his people and country, and the United States from slave ships through the possibility of a black president. It carries a stern lyrical focus all the way through, including the radio-aimed/Polow-produced anthem "Hero" ("If Nas can't say it, think about these talented kids with new ideas being told what they can and can't spit"), the gleaming "Make the World Go Round" (where a proud Nas, clearly reaching out to a younger crowd, refers to the featured Chris Brown as "the young Mike Jackson"), and the appropriately greasy "Fried Chicken" (a cunning track in which Nas and Busta Rhymes seem to embrace and parody dietary and sexual stereotypes at once). There is as much content here to absorb, to think about, discuss, and debate, as there is within Ice Cube's Death Certificate or anything by Public Enemy or BDP. While it is not a feast from a production standpoint -- the album is not bound to silence those who contend that Nas is not the best selector of beats -- it doesn't have the hastily slapped-together flow of Street's Disciple or Hip Hop Is Dead. A couple tracks might sonically resemble inferior versions of years-old tracks that helped make Nas a hip-hop deity and, nearly ten years after Nas was first accused of selling out, he might still sound a little awkward over radio-friendly productions. But the MC has never made an album as engrossing or as necessary as this one.