Hondo's Bar

High Scores & Achievements

The NZA

Yahven once commented he missed how old arcade & console games kept score. Games today still do, but it doesnt really matter...you get ranked in the end, like in Devil May Cry, but it has no real bearing, outside of getting Experience points in RPG's.

High acrcade scores with your initials (or your tag) used to be braggin rights, others were just happy to finish games, or get to the 90th level of Duck Hunt or somethin.

So, what are your braggin rights? We'll go by the honor system...what high score have you attained, what games have you beaten that few have, what other handicap?

I'm still rather proud of finishing Alex Kidd in Miracle World for Sega Master System..that thing took me almost 5 years, and its a fucking platform game, just hard for me. Oh, of course finishing basically all the Phantasy Star & Final Fantasy RPG's is cool too, but ill keep it outside that realm for now.

I should make a whole other thread for 8-16 bit games you really wanted to beat/see the quick ending but couldnt.

anothercastle_pop.gif

Back in the day, I could beat Street Fighter II (World Warrior or Champion Edition) without dyin, using Guile or Vega. By the time you get to Bison, it felt like an accomplishment but my hands were always covered in sweat by round 2.

Knew a guy, long time back, that won $10 off me for beating Mega Man II without losing one life, damn near did it without taking a hit as i recall. That was impressive, matrix-type moves with a character that cant even fucking duck. :D

eightbit_pop.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I can do that Star Wars arcade game with one credit (after alot of experience). I got the Street Fighter thing too (most versions) with Blanka. That jump up and bite the head thing is class. I useta take days offa school and play endless games of street fighter. I gotta say the Metal Slug in one life is quite an achievement. That's epitaph worthy...

That's nothin to sneer at...those of you who had the pleasure of playing Metal Gear Solid:

Imagine a health meter that never gets larger, holding one ration tops, and lots of other handicaps...I really didnt think Spiffy'd pull it off, with the hard-ass torture scene and that bitch Sniper Wolf tagging his ass...i was really impressed, man.

solidsnakebox.gif

I beat Zelda: Link to the Past (SNES) in one sitting, all day marathon - no deaths, no saves, so my account showed Link with "000" next to him, i was really proud at the time. :D

Yeah, one fatefull day I beat that sumbitch in one life. Mind you, this was after like two straight days of beating it over and over on my neo geo emulator because I was bored as fuck, then I hit the arcade and did the deed. It's not as hard as it seems, you just need to stay in that fucking tank, cause then you can get hit a couple times... the fucking last level is disgusting though, and the ice level was always a really dangerous one too cause you dont get teh tank gor a good while. other than that I've beaten time crisis 2 on one credit. trying to think of over stuff.

Edited by JunkerSeed

Man...i dont know if i can top that one.

I remember reading that, supposedly, some kids in japan were able to finish Resident Evil (the original, PlayStation 1) using only the knife, just sticking & moving...

the patience that wouldve taken to even try...those goddamn hunters (the green ones that take your head off in one swipe :D ) wouldve made me cry, and that's before the bosses...

Oh, once a friend & I bet Super Mario Bros. so many times (after you save the damn princess, you can play the game over, just harder) that the goombas - those guys you can stomp on - all became beetles, the black-shelled ones you couldnt really touch that werent supposed to show up until 8-1 or so. Oh, and after some help from a friend at Nintendo Power we leanred how to do all kindsa secret shit: be fiery mario but small, even found the hidden level in 1-2 right before the warp zone...it sounds like complete bullshit till you see it, but its this neverending water level, was cool as shit to find it.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh, I remember i beat TIE fighter without cheats. Start to finish with the highest emperor's hand ranking.

Also beat X-wing, all missions and all variants (of the few a/b missions.

All with all secret objectives complete and topace ranking.

Man those were the days...

• 1 month later...

WOW, Secret of Mana what a great game.I think Nick may have seen it, but I think I can max that last statistic. Not only was my game insanely maxed out I got all the weapons maxed with their rare eight orbs (and the Mana sword-which is kinda risky casue of the crap you have to do). In fact it was just about a week ago, when the the final orb to the gloves came out from a wolf while I was just messing around.

For Resident Evil 3 there was a mini-game where you can play as Wesker and finish a long area with many enemies and one Boss using only a knife. I did that barely surviving. (but for the boss they give you a gun)

They give you an entire hour to get a good rating.(other characters are given 8-15 minutes for a good rating)

only secret of mana fans can understand what you have done... ic probably.

as for resident evil with a knife... i would have never known i would be related to anyone who would even attempt and succeed with something like that.

there are two things that go through my mind. either you have WAY too much time on your hands or you are just too cool for me. mabye they both are true. either way congrats.

my collapse II score is above 15,000 and i kick everyone's ass at super puzzle fighter, so that's good enough for me.

I'm still impressed; i maxed maybe one or two spells in Secret of Mana. Now, FF IV (II for SNES) i maxed everything and found some hidden summons. Also, had a glitch for VI (III here) and got insane items, multiple magic boxes, then had Edgar with the ability to swing his Atma Blade & Ragnarok Sword 8x, killing Kefka tower in one round...was insane.

Nowadays...uhm...ive had several hundred thousand dollars in Animal Crossing, but Tom Nook usually takes it from me. :plain:

• 1 month later...

Wow, beating Kefka in one hit, now there's something I could never do. But I did get EVERY single peice of materia in FF7 and max 2 or 3 of my characters to level 99.(of course I beat the Weapons, but I'm sure Every RPG fan can do that) Although while killing FF7 I believe Tim was busy killing me.

• 1 year later...

I used to beat games for friends for money, or they would let me borrow the game and tell me to pass a certain part for them and they'd pay me, can't remember anything specific, wasn't always for me. My friend David and I passed the last level in halo on legendary mode, I ran the last stretch while he was dead, not easy fighting back those elites and jumping over everything :P

• 6 months later...