Hondo's Bar

High Scores & Achievements

The NZA

I could do the same thing. By the time the Gamecube came out, I had played GoldenEye so many times, I had every enemy in the game, and all the hidden stuff memorized. I could run through the entire game without stopping, dying, or usually even taking a hit. It was kinda sad.

I tried to pick the game up again a couple weeks ago. God, I suck now. :asshole:

Just finished Final Fantasy X-2 with 100%, finished Crono Trigger and Crono Cross with all the diffrent ending. Tho finding the right order to trigger the Crono Cross took a while but I found it. Got to level 19 in tetris with about 270,000 points on my gameboy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Umm....back when FFVII came out, I played the shyt out of that game. So much so, that i had every character ('cept Aeris, she dies) at 99 or 100 (whatever the highest number possible was) with all thier ultimate weapons and each with all 3 sets of Master Materia. Wait, i thinks i still have that save somewhere...ill make a screenshot of that someday.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike : 6 million sumthin' (XS+)

Capcom Vs SNK 2: 3800 points...or w/e the value system is called in that game

thats all that comes to mind.. :???:

I believe he sorta does...Seph has always given me the impression that hes just a whiny bitch...a very kool looking one. "Ima kill u all cuz u killed my mommy". But hey, when u weild a 60" blade, ur stil badass. But see, here's the kicker about these two games. i found it hard to connect with FFVI characters because im a very visual person. When i saw the character pics for them...i just couldn't find any depth. Amano is a great artist and all, but i just couldnt connect. U can have an epic tale, but whats the point when ur just not interested in the guys. But when Nomura jumped on boared for VII, tons of artwork flowed everywhere and he put more life into the characters and thats when it hit me...plus the fact that the series went 3D, the charcaters were able to act out certain emotions and stuff, so yeah, i guess that played a big role too. Another thing, they should have made a FFVI movie, but a game sequal to FFVII. So yeah...i believe Kefka does kick ass.

• 1 month later...

today was a sad day for high scores, for me.

I was playing some of this Namco 50th anniversary Arcade Collection, before work. Now, Sen's a gamer grrl, but this shit's before her time, and she was tired anyway, so she was out like a light somewhere between Rolling Thunder and Dig Dug. I dont even remember how to play Mappy Land.

This isnt a series i usally support: dont get me wrong, im clearly a whore for buying back my youth via collection games, but after the stunt they pulled on the PS1 - 5 volumes of namco classics that coulda fit on one disc? and now, ps2, jesus you could fit all of namco's single bit up till PS1 collection on one disc and have room - but this collection's not bad, and the 80's songs playing in the menu are fun too.

There's a couple games mrked "out of order", obviously the unlockables, and Pacmania - the one where pac-man can jump and shit - is one of them. I fucking love Pac-Man, i remmeber getting on a barstool at an arcade cause i coudlnt reach the screen but i wanted to play so bad. I watched the cartoon, i had a wood block i carved a pac-man out of when i was a wee one. So i had to unlock at least this game, and according to gamefaqs, the requirements werent that bad: score 15,000 in pac-man, 20,000 in ms. pac-man.

I used to be a pac-fucking-master, the best i knew at it till this fuck, Mike Portella - Chief knows him, kid's a thread in himself - housed me back at grad nite. You know how, the further you get, you get more fruit onna buttom of the screen, and the time the ghosts stay vulnerable gets less and less? he got so far on one quarter, the power pellets didnt affect the ghosts at all. Not one bit. Then he kept going, and eventually, its like they reverted back to being easy again cause the game knew it was getting owned. It was like watching "The Wizard", only less bullshit. He was a pac-sensei, and i never surpassed him.

Certainly not fucking today! 15k in pac-man isnt hard....sure, each dot's only 10 points but its shit like ghosts and fruit you shoot for, so you can swing it by level 3 or 4 if you suck. But Ms. pac-man's where its all: a girl of the 80's, she knew shit was all about speed before Sonic even existed, and i loved her for it.

But my shit was pathetic. You need to get to like level 6 for that score, tops, and every split-second decision i made, usually with ease, got me eaten.

I think i figured out why.

The astute pac-fan knows a few things about what i called, at the age of 4, "ghostie-monsters."

1) they go ravenous when they know there's less dots on board to slow you down.

2) they often move in pack formation later on, and love trapping you.

3) blinky (the red one) is a motherfucker.

See, i recall reading the instruction manual as a kid (id do taht back then) and the atari one outlined their differnet personalities, and i think it convinced me of osme magical AI that wasnt around then. Pretty ironic when you consider the atari 2600 version was in, uh, blue and yellow, so i couldnt really make one from another.

But in the arcades, Blinky was the predator. The others were distractions and shit, meant to force you to race for the power pellet for dear life, where blinky'd cut you off right before just to fuck you in the ass. Blinky was the kind of guy who'd promise doggy, go right for anal and pretend it was an accident, even with the ligths on. You just know it.

Not today. Today, it was somehow Pinky. GET OFF MY DICK, PINKY.

pacman_pinky_16x16.gif:pacman:

Inky (blue one) and Sue/Clyde (orange, name depended on your version) were tame, they were like talking Blinky through his post-traumatic stress syndrome or something, so pinky decided to his true faggoty colors. Mind you, i havent played with the intention of beating a high score since possibly 20 years ago when my brother & I'd compete in an arcade and he could hang, but today i was, and just as id clear 19k? No fucking lie, Pinky'd pull some cross-dimentional bullshit and like take an offscreen shortcut that aint there or somethin and just manifest in front of me on a sharp turn. Nothing shy of teleportation can explain the speed at which he was moving. If we are moving in a straight line, and there are no dots to eat & slow me down, you are not supposed to be able to catch me, you atari-physics-defying fuck.

Swear to god, id get to the pretzel round, and he'd spend half the time like, meditating in his little house or whatever, my score'd rack up, and bam, he'd drop angel dust and be out the door. It was so bad, i did some shit i havnet done since pre-puberty, a "petty round" where i play again, just to spend a few minutes eating his sorry ass as often as i could find power pellets, and quietly yelling "you like that shit?!" (sen's a heavy enough sleeper).

Whatever. Cleared 20k eventually, came into work late, but by god i unlocked Pacmania like a half hour after i shouldve, even got in a round...before the pink/purple motherfucker i was jumping over showed me he too could jump. :mumble:

fuckapinky

knock yourself out, ive got the classic on like 10 formats at this point, but i bet you anytbing, blinky's the asshole youre gonna have to deal with; pinky'll go right back to remember what a passive-agressive pussy he is on any other format, when youre not shooting for a certain score. He is the rapist of dreams.

• 1 year later...

IN_BLARGH.jpg

1215616063.jpg

+

1216423741.jpg

=

25327601_l.jpg

yup, that there's the spoils of semi-part-time employment. Took a bit, but I'm officially Big Boss with Brass Balls. After having accomplished my Colossal Katamari a while back, i'm running low on gaming feats of strength currently...given that the Orange Box ones of Rocket Man and Aperture Science seem, well, nigh-possible.

Looking at my list (i write these things when very, very bored at work) the summer has a few things left to do:

- Start a Hondo's clan again in MGO

- Get farther/perhaps see the end in Persona 3

- Finish: Beyond Good & Evil, No More Heroes, Assasin's Creed

- Likely put off all of this to start a gamefly account again and try out Hellboy, Boom Blox & such

• 4 years later...

Bert Off

these two guys have been playing Qbert on one quarter.

Last week, two men - George Leutz (one of the failed iron men from 2011) and Ed Heemskerk - set out to break a single-quarter record that has stood for almost thirty years.

At time of posting, both men are still playing. Heemskerk has toiled for over 60 hours, while Leutz has gone for over 80 hours, which has given him not only the record for time spent on a single quarter, but also the highest number of points.