Hondo's Bar

"Got Anime?"

Sango

:wasabi: what was it that got you started/hook on anime?

:p What was the first anime you ever saw that made you say "MAN THIS ROCKS!" :D?

:D The First anime I ever saw ronin warriors ( of course i saw speed racer but ronin hooked me) and G-Force aka Gatchaman...

What anime is considered a classic must see in your opinion?

In my opinion I think AKIRA just kinda is the first to come to mind...The animation was great, I think that it was acutally all drawn by hand with very little use of computers  (all most none), it totally just shows the greatness of japanese cartoonist...:wasabi:

Did Esca. hook you to anime? Like you wanted to see more or was it like that was cute? Honetly I was it in Japanese and the sub.s were great it and so I pulled an overniter and saw the whole thing... I didn't like the ending ???

The first ones I remember seeing was ninja scroll and macross plus I think.  Also Golgo 13 and Akira.

First one I saw that really impressed me was ninja scroll.

Classic must see for me is also Akira... I think it's the most popular anime movie out there for a reason.  Really deep story and animation that easily holds up against and beats lots of today's stuff.

Yes, Esca did hook me to anime forever.  Even now I've seen more anime, I still think it's one of the best series out there.  I think we don't like the ending because we're girls.  And we tend to want the happy romantic ending.  But :D is right...not all animes/movies/etc.  are meant to have the happy ending.  In this case, the ending was indeed very fitting. ???

Well, the very first anime I saw was Gall Force on Sci-fi. I then saw Sailor Moon and couldn't stop watching it. But that wasn't the one that got me hooked. It was Fushigi Yugi. I rented the 1st volume at Blockbuster and was so bitter when I couldn't find the second. That's when I went Anime crazy and started buying them.  :D

An anime classic  ???  well, I believe that would be Akira for sure. I say that when I was like in 8th grade, and it confused the crap out of me. Had to watch it a good 3 times to get what the hell was going on. Now, I can say that it's awesome! Very good all round.

I  :D  Anime!!!!

I so agree with you guys Akira is the Number 1 classic...If your an anime fan you have to watch it... I believe that Vampire hunter d is also like an anime classic the story wasn't so bad and I don't know i guess i just kinda like and it should be considered a classic must see...I think that Astroboy and speed race " yes the old school anime" should be given its pat on the back...I was talken to some guy the other day and he said that back in the day it was real hard to come by anime most of it was in hardcore japanese lang. with like 0 subtiles... considering how its become to popular its amazing don't you guys think so........

**note: sorry i had a lot to say today :D

Again Akira for me, haven't seen nearly as much anime as yourselves but it did get me into anime and manga too, and it's still one of my favorite movies ever! :approve:

Any fans of Akira should try and get a hold of Katsuhiro Otomo's manga 'Domu:A Child's Dream', similar to Akira in a lot of ways but still significantly different. Plus the art is very cinematic, cool angles, great movement, etc. :D

Ok my first anime was Ranma 1/2. I started by playing the fighting game and then me and my friends wanted to know the story behind the game and we found out that it has a series and her brother started to collect them and from then on the rest is history....

AKIRA ROCKS...even this guy I was seeing, dating, eehh whatever told me that he saw Akira and he liked it...but he never saw anymore but I bet if he watched Eva that will close the deal with him on anime..(muaahahaahaha I am going to brainwash him)

:D  :D  :D  :D

Alrighty then, what got me hooked on anime?? Well when I was small (back when nintendo was the best system out there) I played the Ranma 1/2 combat game with my sis Super. Then when I was in Middle school I like Sailor Moon. ( what girl didn't like it)

But the one anime that made me an official anime freak was..... BATTLE ANGEL ALITA!!!

I have it on tape, but I'm dying to get it n dvd. Its really hard though because in the stores and ebay you would have to by it for $40. It's so rare to find now a days.

the film that got me hooked had to be Vampire Hunter D!!! This i saw on channel 4 late one saturday night!! and it was just when D shot a baddy with a gun which spliced them in half that got me hooked. :D

However at that time i was watching the Guyver!!! Fist of the North Star, Dangerous Jack!, 3x3 eyes!! Wicked City, ones i'd mentioned in a previous thread, they were the ones that got me hooked!

I believe it's the suspense is what drives a person to become a freak. The only reason why I say this is because I observe those that don't like anime and that are forced to watch it by their peers. I know someone that doesn't like anime and yet everytime we sit down to watch something like Ranma or Fushi she is constently asking " Who is he", Why is he doing this", " Where did he come from?"  Or I start hearing comments like " damn he's hot". Or the occasional " As long as it has boobs, I'll watch it". Eventhough they don't like to watch it , they are intrigued by the way the exclamation marks come out  of their foreheads when they get hit by some one or how a drop of water comes out when ever they are tired. Even if you are watching something like X or 3X3 eyes, you sit on the edge of you seat wondering what is going to happen next. I believe that it's the little details that normal cartoons fail to show you that anime isn't ashamed of hiding.

The first thing i ever saw was robotech.  There was other animation on tv like gi-goe and transformers, but robotech had that style we that love anime is known to have.  The attention to detail and big eyes...  :D

I didn't get to watch the whole robotech saga until much later.  But when I did, I appreciated it even more.  There is more depth in the story than one would think.  I highly recommend it as a drama.

In middle school, a friend of mine let me borrow akira.  I was blown away!  How could that kind of art escape me?  In my opinion, it was generations ahead of its time.

What got me hooked were these two.  It all started with awesome animation.  All that detail for everything.  Even now, the animation on american tv is still up to par.  I'll give a little credit when cars actually look like cars.  Nowadays, I also enjoy anime with style and story.

Guest Yahve

Saint Seiya.  in spanish.  ah those were the days.

SuperCampeones, that soccer anime is a close second as the 1st 2 anime series i watched.

a similar thread was discussed about starter anime here

yeah yeah ANIME!!!

I have to admit I watch it cause of the funny skits like in Inuyasha they have a part where the girl says sitdown or down in Japanese and Inuyasha falls to the floor...It was too funny I mean little things like that can get you hooked....

:::Shameless plug:::

:D

Come kick up your feet let down your hair and relax in the Taps of life in the Druken Bar.....where the men are nice and the glasses are clean... where the drinks are sweet and there are umbrellas in ur drink... where the wine flows like water and (yes we serve water) the people know your name...in The Taps Of Life....

:D

• 2 weeks later...

oh you're kidding i used watch SuperCampeones too it was super cute i loved it...the soccer games and the little kids and stuff its to cool...I really don't know what was the anime i first started to watch and stuff but i love it!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Then came Robotech. This show kicked ass. Sure they took three shows that had nothing to do with

each other. So they had to rewrite all three shows, and make it into one long show. This show had

everything. From love to the end of world armageddon. What more could you want.

robotech1.jpegSDF-2.jpg

• 6 years later...

Revived for Great Justice!

Ok, what got me into anime? Well, when I was like 5 or 6 I had a few memories of particular shows, though I couldn't attach them to anything, the first of these was of a guy in a transforming plane that couldn't pilot it, the second was of everyone crying because some guy had died (didn't remember who the character was at the time, anyone who has seen Macross will know who I mean), and another one set in space where some guy's brother bit it.

It wasn't until years later that I found out what those series were. The first two were of course Robotech, which I found again through the RPG and Novels (tapes were not for sale back then), and the second I much later found out was Ulysses 31, a series that i have still not seen to this day.

But anyhow, after devouring all the Robotech I could find, (6 Macross Saga movies, each cut down from about 130 minutes to about 100) I remember reading SOMEWHERE that there was a movie called Akira that was supposed to be amazing. One day I found it at a Suncoast Pictures for $29.99 for the VHS dub. I bought that shit with a quickness, took it home, and it blew my 13 year old mind. Not only was the animation amazing. It also had blood, nudity, and a dark bleak story. At 13 the blood and nudity stood out, so I took it to a friend's place to sow him. We are both still Anime fans to this day.

As for what I consider essential viewing? That's kinda tough.

Movie wise I think that:

Akira

Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise

Perfect Blue

Nausicca

Ghost in the Shell

Whisper of the Heart

Lupin: Castle of Cagliostro

I think with those you get to see some of the best stuff out there from some of the major luminaries, and get a good idea of the breadth of genre and content available.

As for OAVs:

Macross Plus

Bubblegum Crisis

Golden Boy

Key the Metal Idol

Lodoss War

TV:

Macross

Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Maison Ikkoku

Urusei Yatsura

Cowboy Bebop

Gatchaman

Paranoia Agent

Berserk

I remember seeing anime a bit when I was a kid and not knowing what it was, mostly stuff on tv, once something in a comic shop (I stopped and watched that for a good while. Pretty sure it was Records of the Lodoss War). Then, late one night I saw Vampire Hunter D come on what became the SciFi channel (and will soon be the SyFy channel... madness) and watched the who;e thing. From there, I went on to the video stores, going through each of their animation sections renting Ranma, Records of the Lodoss War, Akira, Fushigi Yuugi, Dominion Tank Police, Tenchi Muyo, etc.

Once I went to UTA, I joined the anime club and learned of the glory of fansubs, then really got into anime.

I actually remember my first anime experiences very well. Robotech was a given but I was too young at the time when I saw it to realize it was something more than just higher quality Transformers, which granted, wasn't bad, but I didn't know there was this whole separate world of anime out there. That, and I started playing Battletech for the first time and so misconstrued the connection there because FASA ripped off Macross something fierce. What got me into anime was sadly Harmageddon, one of the worst animes out there. I rented that sucker when I first moved to Minnesota at age 13 and had nothing better to do in a new town but hit up the independent video rental store. The whole thing struck me as utterly foreign as I found myself reading subtitles for the first time in my life. I just had to see more. The next time there my eye caught the box of Bubblegum Crisis, volume 1 and I was completely hooked. I saw the address at the end of the movie and ordered the Animego catalog 1992 that I still have to this day (it's about a dozen pages long and is a little smaller than a dvd case.) The rest was history.