Hondo's Bar

Had a friend of a friend who worked at a tv station that pirated American satellite for rebroadcast, back in Guyana.

THing is he could access all the channels simultaeously, even though his boss only broadcast shit like Matlock and Lifetime.

So he taped Sci-fi channel's anime week on VHS for my friend and we had a fullout festival.

Demon City I think was the name of the one that made the biggest impression on me, though we did see some Armitage, I think as well as other stuff.

Got to university and ended up rooming with an anime freak (Hi Spiffytee), so my fate was sealed. Fucker made me watch Fushuugi yuugi and Escaflowne and Ranma til my eyes bled and I begged for more.

in elementary school, i was watching robotech. it was the first anime cause it was on american tv. honestly, i liked transformers more, but robotech, as drifter mentioned, was there. not totally fully comprehended, but the theme song and the art was what i liked. then in middle school, i was exposed to the god we know as akira.. following that, bubblegum crisis. in high school, macross plus, ranma, ninja scroll. it was all over for me then. i was renting and visiting suncoast all the time.

good times, huh jumbie?

Edited by spiffytee
  • 1 month later...

back from the dead again!

like so many robotech was an early influence, as was project a-ko in high school and ranma one half and ronin warriors. Also I will give a meantion to sailor moon, it came out here during my high school years and I would watch it with my lil sister while taking care of her(proabbly what began our bonding really not sure that she remembers it all that well lol) it might be a girly show but it was vastly different from just about anything else on and really sparked an interest which lead to many other things, plus I dunno I guess SM has always been a big of a guilty pleasure(big fan of the mana art as well)

Other early things where Oh! my goddess(thanks again for the book alex :sad:) akria, Area 88, and while it's not anime directly yes I watched power rangers(first couple of seasons anyway) it's been really amazing watching how much the shows that have come over have changed and how much I long for the 'good' ol days and anime that I feel relects the fun and 'heart' of those early shows.

I think Ronin Warriors was the first pure Anime tv show i ever watched regularly, although i have vague recollections of RoboTech as well. The first anime that totally blew me away was Ninja Scroll, followed immediately by Vampire Hunter D. This was some random middle-of-the-night tv watching, and of all channels i could be watching it on, it was TBS. Some weekend midnight movie show that was on there. After those two, all i could think was to find more cartoons and movies like that. Since then, i've been hooked.

• 3 weeks later...

Another oldie but a goodie, the ecchie title Homeroom affairs(there's no acutal sex in it you perverts) a cute little anime about a highschool girl and her new teacher. It's pretty fun but almost impossible to find now a days, It never got a dvd release and I took almost a year of hunting on ebay to get a copy of the VHS tapes though I'm gonna try to track down a torrent. something to watch if you can find a copy.

The story begins in July 2008, during a time when mankind is faced with the threat of extinction. A devastating war fought between two major nations with ultramagnetic weapons far greater than anything seen earlier brings about total chaos and destruction throughout the world, resulting in several earthquakes and tidal waves, the earth thrown off its axis, its crust being rocked by massive movements, and the five continents being torn completely apart and sinking deep below the sea.

An attempt by a group of people to flee to outer space failed, with their spaceships being forced back to earth and vanishing, thus shattering their hopes. But one of the spaceships narrowly escaped destruction and crash landed on a small island which had miraculously survived the devastation. The crew members of the spaceship settled there, as if they were seeds sown on the island.

Amidst these survivors, a boy named Conan was born, bringing a new ray of hope to the earth. After several years, during which most of the other survivors had died and the only people left on the island were Conan and his grandfather, he meets a young girl named Lana, and their adventure begins.

the series was produced by Nippon Animation and featured the likes of Hayao Miyazaki (director, character designs, storyboards), Isao Takahata (storyboards) and Yoshiyuki (Kill them all) Tomino (storyboards).